+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How difficult is it to study to score B2 in the French Test for a non-French speaker?

Mapleleaf2020

Sep 8, 2017
Hi, can anyone tell me how difficult it would be for a non-French speaker to study French to score a B2 in the langugage test? Does anybody have any experience of how long it would take to learn? If it were compared to the English IELTS, would it have the same level of difficulty of IELTS 7 for example?

Thank you for your help!!

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Hi, can anyone tell me how difficult it would be for a non-French speaker to study French to score a B2 in the langugage test? Does anybody have any experience of how long it would take to learn? If it were compared to the English IELTS, would it have the same level of difficulty of IELTS 7 for example?

Sorry can't compare it with IELTS////French is a different world like any other language for a non-native speaker.

1 year minimum with lot of dedication is needed for reaching B2 level.

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
B2 is tough, not trying to discourage you, but sYou need to put in a lot of work, courses, self study. Unless you are already somewhat good in French.

jaskaran88

Jun 29, 2017
ludhiana
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08/06/2017
IELTS Request
I cleared A1 n A2 in eight months...now i m learning B1...its getting tougher n tougher...

Mapleleaf2020

Sep 8, 2017
I cleared A1 n A2 in eight months...now i m learning B1...its getting tougher n tougher...
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am thinking of asking a friend to consider the Quebec Experience Class study pathway. 2 years study plus 3 years PGWP would give her about 5 years to get to a French B2, I suppose. Hopefully 5 years would be enough. Does it seem like a reasonable idea?

Reactions: boblast

northwind

Sep 12, 2017
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am thinking of asking a friend to consider the Quebec Experience Class study pathway. 2 years study plus 3 years PGWP would give her about 5 years to get to a French B2, I suppose. Hopefully 5 years would be enough. Does it seem like a reasonable idea?
Yes, it should.

I came to Quebec from another Canadian province 4 years ago, with no French. I took about 1.25 year of government-sponsored full-time classes of "francisation" as they are called here. I would say I became A1 after that year. Then, I studied in a French-language college, for an IT-related profession. I could understand all the classes, the teachers, the peers, but speaking and the writing were hard. I would say I ended up as B1 after that. Then I started working in a mixed-language company, where communication between people could spontaneously be in either language.

4 years after my arrival to Quebec, I took a French-language test at McGill university. I came out as B2. So..... it is not easy.

Mapleleaf2020

Sep 8, 2017
Yes, it should.

I came to Quebec from another Canadian province 4 years ago, with no French. I took about 1.25 year of government-sponsored full-time classes of "francisation" as they are called here. I would say I became A1 after that year. Then, I studied in a French-language college, for an IT-related profession. I could understand all the classes, the teachers, the peers, but speaking and the writing were hard. I would say I ended up as B1 after that. Then I started working in a mixed-language company, where communication between people could spontaneously be in either language.

4 years after my arrival to Quebec, I took a French-language test at McGill university. I came out as B2. So..... it is not easy.
That is a really instructive account. Thank you so much for sharing your experience- it gives me a better grasp of the challenge- as well as its doability.

martiansmusic

May 25, 2017

I would say that it should take anything between 2-3 years provided you work hard. If you are already in Quebec, it helps. I had learnt french for a year and a half before coming to Montreal and my french skills were borderline average. Working and speaking with people every day in french really helped afterwards. Towards the end, I had put in good 6 months of dedicated effort and aced my B2 exam.

Mapleleaf2020

Sep 8, 2017
I would say that it should take anything between 2-3 years provided you work hard. If you are already in Quebec, it helps. I had learnt french for a year and a half before coming to Montreal and my french skills were borderline average. Working and speaking with people every day in french really helped afterwards. Towards the end, I had put in good 6 months of dedicated effort and aced my B2 exam.
Thanks a lot for sharing! A french-speaking friend of mine also impressed upon me the importance of immersion.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Looks like I dodged a bullet here. :p

I was planning to learn French and apply for CSQ via PEQ route. I was told that B2 level would take 6-12 months of dedicated studies.

Glad I dropped plans for learning french and applied via MON.

texan_girl

Nov 5, 2018
Looks like I dodged a bullet here. :p

I was planning to learn French and apply for CSQ via PEQ route. I was told that B2 level would take 6-12 months of dedicated studies.

Glad I dropped plans for learning french and applied via MON.
What is a MON? Is there any way to apply without knowing any french and still get accepted?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
What is a MON? Is there any way to apply without knowing any french and still get accepted?
Google MIDI MON project Quebec.

I got PR through QSW without submitting English or French language results but that was in 2016-17. Rules might have changed since then.

Chofi

Aug 19, 2013
It would take you about 1 year of full time studying, if you do it part time around 2. It helps a lot to be in a french environment and to try to listen a lot of french radio and tv.

Could also get a bit easier if you speak spanish, portuguese, italian as the grammar is similar.

I didn't study any french and work in Montreal for some years then I did just a 2 months tefaq prep and got easily B2. But is because I did customer service in French all this time and got used to the accent.

Good luck

Last edited: