+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Holding off OHIP application?

laboons

Mar 14, 2009
Hi, I really hope someone can help me with this.

I recently went to renew my OHIP card but the person at the OHIP office said my card had become invalid because I had left the country for some time many years ago. She said I am now applying for a new card instead of renewing my old red and white one. The problem is that if I apply for coverage now I can't leave the country for more than 30 days in the following 183 days and as I haven't been to my home country and seen my parents since 2006 I really do want to go back this summer and for more than 30 days as it is the only summer I will be having off from university for the next 3 years and plane tickets cost a bomb.

The person at the OHIP office told me to come back again to show her proof of residency documents. My question is, is it possible for me to hold off my OHIP application for a few months until summer is over so I could go back home?

Another thing is, I was told I have to show my old passport, but I really can't find it anymore since it had expired and I didn't bring it to Canada with me. Will I have problems with that or do I really need it?

Thank you to anyone that could help answer my questions.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How does OHIP know that you left and how long you were gone? How long were you gone "many years ago"? Find out if OHIP has an ombudsman you can talk to to get this straight. Otherwise try a newcomers/immigrant centre for advice. I know OHIP is weird about a lot of things but somehow this seems fishy to me. Especially since you being out of the country happened many years ago and they are first complaining about it now.