+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hemophilia - can this be an issue for immigration to Canada?

gile1991

Oct 22, 2013
Hello there everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I would really appreciate if anyone knows the answer to this.
I want to move to Canada to work and continue my life there and apply for permanent resident status. I of course have everything that is requested. My health is generally great but I do have Hemophilia and I would like to know if that could be a problem for me to receive permanent resident status?

If not, does the health coverage cover Hemophilia patients for their therapy?

Best regards,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a blood disorder (not Hemophilia but something somewhat similar). Yes - blood conditions are definitely covered by Canada's health care system.

The question is whether you will be approved for immigration or if CIC will refuse you based on the fact that your Hemophilia will create a burden on the health care system. I don't know the answer to this question (I was born in Canada) and you may just have to apply and see what happens. While blood conditions are covered by Canada's health care system, the treatment/therapy isn't cheap and it would be very easy to exceed the annual threshhold used to determine if someone will be a burden or not (I believe that threshold is around $5K or $6K).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
When you say that your health is "generally great" are you receiving any regular injections / infusions of products / treatments? If so, how often?

gile1991

Oct 22, 2013
scylla said:
When you say that your health is "generally great" are you receiving any regular injections / infusions of products / treatments? If so, how often?
Well for prevention, so I do not get any bleeding episodes, I usually take an injection once every 2 weeks. With "generally great" I also mean that I do not have any other health problems or diseases.

I'm not moving over there just like that, I do have money that I would invest into opening a small business, I also have a friend there and she is helping me with all of that to get there, I would stay at her place for a while, I would find a job first etc., then I would start my own business.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I can't tell you for sure and am guessing based on the information I know. However I believe that frequency of injections would very likely put you well above the threshold for "placing an excessive burden on the health care system". I believe the cost of those injections is somewhere around $800 (I know that's around what mine cost even though OHIP pays for them because I asked a couple of years ago out of curiocity). 25 of those a year would put you well above the level you need to be to be accepted as an immigrant.

My condition only requires me to take injections when I have a bleeding episode (my condition is more minor than yours). Right now that means I have an injection about once a year (recently once every two years). I take no preventative injections. If this was your profile, I think you would stand a chance of being approved. With the preventative injections, I think you'll likely be refused because the treatments are so expensive.

Also, to the best of my knowledge the $800 is the cost of the injections alone. It doesn't include the cost of the visits to the clinic, any tests, etc. So that would push your costs even higher.

Again, just my guess based on what I know.

gile1991

Oct 22, 2013
Well that's what I decided by myself because I buy the injections by myself, I can also take injections only when I have a bleeding episode. To be honest, I decide by myself when do I take an injection so as you said I could also use them only when I have a bleeding episode right?

I really need a suggestion on this because I'm really looking forward to come over there.. As far as I know for the medical exam they do tests for drugs/alcohol, chest x-ray for tuberculosis, blood exams for STDs and other infectious diseases, nowhere else hemophilia is mentioned...

Any ideas what/how should I proceed?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
gile1991 said:
Well that's what I decided by myself because I buy the injections by myself, I can also take injections only when I have a bleeding episode. To be honest, I decide by myself when do I take an injection so as you said I could also use them only when I have a bleeding episode right?
Yes - you could. But CIC will argue that once you have access to health care, you can ask that you start receiving preventative injections. So when they are assessing you for being an excessive burden, then won't so much assess you based on what you do use - but what you could/should use.

I don't know the answer to your second question.

Again, I suppose you can try applying and see what happens.

gile1991

Oct 22, 2013
scylla said:
Yes - you could. But CIC will argue that once you have access to health care, you can ask that you start receiving preventative injections. So when they are assessing you for being an excessive burden, then won't so much assess you based on what you do use - but what you could/should use.

I don't know the answer to your second question.

Again, I suppose you can try applying and see what happens.
Alright friend, thanks for spending your time answering me, God bless you.

I will apply and see what happens.

Apr 7, 2017
Hi,

I am also planning to apply. My son is von willebrand bleeding disorder patient(like hemophilia). Can you please tell how your application processed? what is the process?

Your answer would give me lot of hints/idea on this.

Thanks
Anna

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
annamadhusudhanan said:
Hi,

I am also planning to apply. My son is von willebrand bleeding disorder patient(like hemophilia). Can you please tell how your application processed? what is the process?

Your answer would give me lot of hints/idea on this.

Thanks
Anna
Which type is he? Type 1, 2 or 3?

sandeep786

Jun 1, 2017
@gile1991 @scylla
hi mate.,
what is your current status?
i have hemophilia A{mild} and i am planning for further studies in canada.
is there anything i should take care of?
what are the chances of getting study visa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@gile1991 @scylla
hi mate.,
what is your current status?
i have hemophilia A{mild} and i am planning for further studies in canada.
is there anything i should take care of?
what are the chances of getting study visa?
Study visa shouldn't be a problem. However it's possible that immigrating (i.e. applying for PR) may be a problem.