+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! Permanent Residency - Possible Medical Inadmissibility

Zoide

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Costa Rica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Humira is an expensive medication and will exceed the yearly limit without any doctor's visits. You may want to consult a lawyer but it seems like it will be difficult unless you already have a job with private drug coverage or you are reuniting with a partner/spouse who has private drug coverage.
What if I present an alternative plan such as continuing to pay for my national healthcare and traveling periodically to my country to pick it up?

Also, I intend to land in Ontario and read that Humira is not in its regular formulary, only in the Exceptional Access Program. Wouldn't that work in my favor?

Thanks

jcan123

Jul 4, 2017
I can take my medication to cover the first 3 months.
I´ll apply for a two year master degree , I got find another way to purchase my medication.
that´s why I need some kind of medical coverage to get humira with a discount
thanks for your response

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In ontario the only coverage offered is through ontario works, disability and the trillium program. I don't believe you qualify for trillium so you would have to pay cash.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What if I present an alternative plan such as continuing to pay for my national healthcare and traveling periodically to my country to pick it up?

Also, I intend to land in Ontario and read that Humira is not in its regular formulary, only in the Exceptional Access Program. Wouldn't that work in my favor?

Thanks
You may want to try that but not sure how they can be reassured you will continue to return to your country to pick up medication for at least 5 years. The exceptional access program will work against you. They are all expensive medications and therefore you need permission to have them covered by the government if you qualify for odsp (disability), ontario works (welfare) or trillium drug program. I would consult a lawyer who specializes in these cases.

Zoide

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Costa Rica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You may want to try that but not sure how they can be reassured you will continue to return to your country to pick up medication for at least 5 years. The exceptional access program will work against you. They are all expensive medications and therefore you need permission to have them covered by the government if you qualify for odsp (disability), ontario works (welfare) or trillium drug program. I would consult a lawyer who specializes in these cases.
But if the EAP is hard to get into, won't that actually benefit my PR application? As in, it would be very hard for me to get my medicines from the Canadian system, which means I won't be a burden on them.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No you could still apply for trillium at a certain point. Most probably after you have filed a tax return because coverage is based on income. The EAP is to police doctors to make sure they have tried less expensive options first and they are only prescribing when clinically necessary.

Zoide

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Costa Rica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No you could still apply for trillium at a certain point. Most probably after you have filed a tax return because coverage is based on income. The EAP is to police doctors to make sure they have tried less expensive options first and they are only prescribing when clinically necessary.
Hmm, you might be right... I was reading that you don't really have to be low-income to qualify for Trillium. If I'm not mistaken, as long as the medication represents more than 4% of the household's income, you can apply. Given that Humira costs ~$20K a year, my wife and I would be eligible as long as we make less than $500K a year, which is a certainty!

Has anyone been able to overcome this and get PR?

What if I simply sign a document pledging to not enroll in the Trillium program for the next 5+ years? There has to be a way... :(

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think you probably need to consult a lawyer who has experience in similar cases. I think that promising not to enroll in Trillium would be difficult to enforce so highly doubt they will agree to that but like I said best to contact an expert. I have a chronic illness so I know it's already annoying enough having to deal with being sick!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
What if I simply sign a document pledging to not enroll in the Trillium program for the next 5+ years? There has to be a way... :(
Such a document would be completely useless, as legally it would be unenforceable. Once a PR you have the legal right to access any and all healthcare or tax/social service benefits, just like any PR or citizen. Any move to restrict such access would be deemed unconstitutional and not allowed.

Hence why the "I promise not to use it" argument most often doesn't work when arguing medical excessive demand issues. No matter what one says during the application, they can still use whatever services they want once a PR.

In these kinds of cases a lawyer experienced with procedural fairness for excessive demand cases is essential, as they will know the best way to construct your arguments to hopefully convince IRCC.

Zoide

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Costa Rica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for all the advice.

I know that hiring a specialized lawyer is my best bet. It's just that what you're saying makes me think that I'd be wasting thousands of dollars since there's nothing they'd be able to do... :'(

Reactions: canuckbr

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If lawyer feels it is highly unlikely you don't have to move ahead and file. I would sugest at least getting a consultation.

Reactions: Zoide

canuckbr

May 17, 2016
Hi,

I also have Chron's disease and I have applied for an Open Work Permit Visa. Last week I have received a procedural letter regarding my medication cost. I am current using Humira, but, since I have been using it for over 6 years and now I in the remission phase, my doctor said I could change my medication.

But, I have said in my visa application that I was using Humira. I have been planning this for a long time, so I have a year of Humira in my fridge to take with me to Canada. But, with this letter, I think about other options.

Would be a good mitigation plan to change my prescription to an affordable one? Or I should write about my plans to take Humira for a year with me?

Zoide

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Costa Rica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You're only technically allowed to bring a 90 day supply of medication with you.
I read that the 90 day allowance only applies for non-permanent residents, and that permanent residents can't even bring that much. Is that true?

Thanks