+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! Permanent Residency - Possible Medical Inadmissibility

Dmeman

Nov 27, 2013
Hi Everyone,

THis is my first post to these forums, but I have been an avid reader of the forums. They have provided me with many answers.

However, I am now in need of some guidance, and I hope that the community will be able to help.

I apologise in advance if this has been answered already or this is not under the right topic.

I applied for my permanent residency as a provincial nominee in Ottawa. I also did my medical exam in October. I have Crohn's Disease which has never advanced since I was diagnosed in 2005 back in the UAE. I have never had surgery and only taken one medication at any time during my treatment.

I got message from the case processing center in Nova Scotia stating the following:

"I have determined that you are person whose health condition might reasonably be expected to cause excessive demand on health or social services...You have 60 days to submit additional information to me."

As you can imagine, I was disheartened. Granted, I take a drug called Humira (nothing else) which the government covers the majority of (no insurance, just public healthcare). However, I pay my taxes and I have a full time job and make no other demands on the government (I live in Canada since 2011). Moreover, I personally have the ability to pay for the entire drug myself. I also have the full financial support of my parents abroad if I ever need treatment or surgery. Finally, I will be paying more for my part of the drug as the payment agreement is based on last year's taxes.

The letter also has an appendix for Declaration of Ability and Willingness to provide for myself. I am meeting a strong immigration lawyer to help me out.

My questions are as follows:

1) Anyone here been in the same situation?
2) What did you do?
3) Does providing the proper "plan" and proof of funds help my case?
4) Should I drop off the government plan for my drug for the time being to show my ability to pay for it?

I'd appreciate any help or guidance. I apologise if this was a little long.

Thank you

Dan

Reactions: basan and Zoide

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would recommend you read through the responses in the following thread to start:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/medical-inadmissibility-t113825.0.html

Good luck.

Dmeman

Nov 27, 2013
Hmm that link was a little short. While it gave me some information, I would still like to hear from someone who might have had success in this regard.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Go to the home page of this forum and run a search for "inadmissibility". You'll find lots of threads with good information.

You've certainly got a battle ahead of you. Great idea to retain a lawyer.

Dmeman

Nov 27, 2013
Thank you :)

I can't tell you how preoccupied my mind is with this. It's driving me mad. I hope I can beat this and get the PR.

medico

Feb 4, 2014
Hi Dmeman,

I also have Chron's Disease and I will apply for a student visa in April. I'd like to know if you have received a response for your fairness letter and what information you have provided in it.

I hope it all went well. :)

RM2015

Jan 10, 2015
Hi,

I noticed this was a year ago. Can you let me know the outcome?

I am in a similar position applying for PR, I have not done my medical examination yet, but also have Chrone's disease.

Thanks

Carol1972

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CIO- transfered to Ottowa january 15
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14 March 2014
Doc's Request.
15th May 2014
Nomination.....
November 2013 AINP
AOR Received.
June 2014
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
In process 18th March 2014
Med's Request
may 2014 and January 2017 2nd medical requested
Med's Done....
May 2014 and January 2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
2nd march 2017
VISA ISSUED...
March 2017
LANDED..........
Already landed
Hi everyone , I also have chrones disease , I took my medical last May, I am not on any medication I was up until a couple of years ago but had a right hemi- colonectomy in 2005, when I did my medical I gave them all the information about my prior mediacal history, my medical results were recieved and reviewed by CIC and it will not stop the process for my immigration as according to my GCSM notes it has been passed that I would not be a burden on the health care system I hope this helps some of you out ..... Good luck ;D

liquidmetal

Feb 14, 2017
Has anyone else had success with their application with Crohns? Im about to start on Humira next month and there's no option for a private insurance in BC. BC govt is the primary insurance provider and all private insurances are just to supplement that. I wonder if that makes me inadmissible or whether its still worth trying?

Reactions: Zoide

jcan123

Jul 4, 2017
Hi Everyone,
I´m want to apply to study in Canada. I have crohn disease and take humira. But I don t know if the health system covers my medication as a international student.
One university told me that the UHIP (http://uhip.ca/) covers pre existing diseases but it does´t covers medical prescriptions .
the question is: How do i get my medicine if medical prescriptions are not covered ?
Does anyone have experience on this matter?

I'd appreciate any help or guidance.
thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you able to bring your medication with you? If you purchase a private insurance policy it will not cover your pre-existing condition.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Humira is an expensive medication and will exceed the yearly limit without any doctor's visits. You may want to consult a lawyer but it seems like it will be difficult unless you already have a job with private drug coverage or you are reuniting with a partner/spouse who has private drug coverage.

Reactions: canuckbr