+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! newly pregnant and sponsoring mexican husband

portugalpat

Sep 3, 2010
I have just found I am pregnant. (not planned)

We were married in December 2010 and have only just sent in sponsorship papers.
My husband tried to get a visitors visa twice before we were married and was denied.
First in August 2010 and then in Nov 2010.

We have only just send in the sponsorship papers, and they say the wait for Mexico City is 15 months.
Is there any thing I can do to find a way that my husband is at least here for the birth of our child?
I am overwhelmed at the moment and I certainly dont want to have a baby in Mexico with the way things are there.

Any advice? Very unexpected situation.

HoneyBird2

Star Member
Jan 31, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First of all Congratulations on the baby news.

While 15 months is estimated, sometimes it maybe be processed more quickly.
For instance at my Embassy, I was processed in 6 months while there was an established 15 month time line.
If your case is simple, 1st marriage, no kids, no criminal records etc. It should go smoothly.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how this can be speeded up so that he is there for the birth of the baby. :(
I hope someone can help you, I am also interested in what can be done in such cases.

portugalpat

Sep 3, 2010
Thank you for that. It is my second marriage,his first. (although neither one of us have children) This will be my first, God willing.

We are both in our 30s so we want this baby, we just wanted it to be a little bit later in the process so we could be together for the experience..

Sigh....

Thanks for the feedback.

HoneyBird2

Star Member
Jan 31, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can message PNM or Leon or Canadianwoman directly. There are very knowledgeable and will definitely be able to help you.

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
portugalpat said:

My husband tried to get a visitors visa twice before we were married and was denied.

We have only just send in the sponsorship papers, and they say the wait for Mexico City is 15 months.
Is there any thing I can do to find a way that my husband is at least here for the birth of our child?
I am overwhelmed at the moment and I certainly dont want to have a baby in Mexico with the way things are there.

Hi!

The baby will not speed up the immigration process, however, you do have to update CIC when he/she is born.

You could always try to get a TRV for your husband, and point out that his PR is in process (provide the File Number), people in the forum have been able to get a TRV to visit to wait out PR, look for galmxcan's posts.

And by the way, I really don't understand why Mexico looks like such a bad place to give birth for you. It depends on where you choose to have birth, you could do a little research about hospitals and I'm pretty sure you'll find plenty of good options. At least in Mexico you won't need to wait for weeks to get an appointment with a doctor, unlike Canada.

Not sure what your standards are, though.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
portugalpat said:

Honeybird and bonbon are both right. The application could be much faster than the posted timelines if it is well prepared. And having a baby will not speed up the process.

Include the fact that you are pregnant in the application when you submit. If you are a Canadian citizen by birth and you have the baby in Mexico, the child will inherit your Canadian citizenship and you would have to register the baby with the consulate in Mexico and apply for their citizenship certificate. If you are a permanent resident of Canada and you have the baby in Mexico, you would have to include the baby in your sponsorship application (add him or her after you give birth). If the child is born in Canada, nothing needs to be done.

mikeyvr

Mar 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Appeal won Sept 2010
File Transfer...
16-11- 2010
Med's Request
Doc request Dec 2010
Med's Done....
15-02-2011
bonbon9 said:
Hi!

The baby will not speed up the immigration process, however, you do have to update CIC when he/she is born.

You could always try to get a TRV for your husband, and point out that his PR is in process (provide the File Number), people in the forum have been able to get a TRV to visit to wait out PR, look for galmxcan's posts.

And by the way, I really don't understand why Mexico looks like such a bad place to give birth for you. It depends on where you choose to have birth, you could do a little research about hospitals and I'm pretty sure you'll find plenty of good options. At least in Mexico you won't need to wait for weeks to get an appointment with a doctor, unlike Canada.

BonBOn why would u or anyone want to have a baby born in Mexico when the mother is Canadian ? and she is trying to sponsor her mexican husband to live in canada ? and they are planning to settle in Canada???

Once you get a file number see if he could apply again once the 1st phase of the application is approved. Healthcare is free of charge for the mother and the child , you would have to pay if you want the best service to have your child delivered in Mexico.

Not sure what your standards are, though.

mikeyvr

Mar 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Appeal won Sept 2010
File Transfer...
16-11- 2010
Med's Request
Doc request Dec 2010
Med's Done....
15-02-2011
why would anyone advice her to have their baby born in Mexico when the mother is Canadian ? and she is trying to sponsor her mexican husband to live in canada ? and they are planning to settle in Canada???

Once you get a file number see if he could apply again once the 1st phase of the application is approved. Healthcare is free of charge for the mother and the child , you would have to pay if you want the best service to have your child delivered in Mexico.

I would rather have my wife wait and have my baby born in canada than putting them to Mexicans hospitals unless is a private one.

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
mikeyvr said:
why would anyone advice her to have their baby born in Mexico when the mother is Canadian ? and she is trying to sponsor her mexican husband to live in canada ? and they are planning to settle in Canada???

I would rather have my wife wait and have my baby born in canada than putting them to Mexicans hospitals unless is a private one.
Wow. Well, mexican hospitals are by no means as bad as you guys make it sound, really. And I think any father would like to be at his first child's birth. Besides, there is no better support for a mother giving birth than her loved one and father of her baby next to her. Where they settle in the future is not as important as these experiences.

EDIT: Ohhh and I forgot to mention. As she is CANADIAN she does not have access to IMSS, so she might have to end up giving birth in a private hospital anyway. Regardless, IMSS has some really good hospitals and doctors, and many other health institutions in Mexico have first-class equipment, doctors and health research/investigation as well. One of the best in Latin America, I must say. It only takes some researching to find the right doctor, just like she would have to research in Canada and get a good doctor here too. Maybe you should start getting to know your wonderful country of origin a little more, "Mikey".

mikeyvr

Mar 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Appeal won Sept 2010
File Transfer...
16-11- 2010
Med's Request
Doc request Dec 2010
Med's Done....
15-02-2011
bonbon9 said:
Wow. Well, mexican hospitals are by no means as bad as you guys make it sound, really. And I think any father would like to be at his first child's birth. Besides, there is no better support for a mother giving birth than her loved one and father of her baby next to her. Where they settle in the future is not as important as these experiences.

EDIT: Ohhh and I forgot to mention. As she is CANADIAN she does not have access to IMSS, so she might have to end up giving birth in a private hospital anyway. Regardless, IMSS has some really good hospitals and doctors, and many other health institutions in Mexico have first-class equipment, doctors and health research/investigation as well. One of the best in Latin America, I must say. It only takes some researching to find the right doctor, just like she would have to research in Canada and get a good doctor here too. Maybe you should start getting to know your wonderful country of origin a little more, "Mikey".

NO BONBON, I dont need your advice. I refused it.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
I can't help with expediting the paperwork, maybe you will luck out and not need to... But I was in your position and had my baby in Canada before my husband arrived... The nice option you will have is to spend your maternity leave in Mexico with your husband to wait out his paperwork if he is not granted the visa before... It will take 3-4 weeks to get the baby's travel documents in order then you head down, with the ability to collect the maternity EI benefits legally while you're there (which probably go further in Mexico to support you than they would in canada)...

It wasn't an easy pregnancy away from my husband but the 7m I spent in Jamaica made up for it a little... Wishing I could have a repeat performance this winter!!!

Good luck and Congrats!

mikeyvr

Mar 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Appeal won Sept 2010
File Transfer...
16-11- 2010
Med's Request
Doc request Dec 2010
Med's Done....
15-02-2011
chelley said:
I can't help with expediting the paperwork, maybe you will luck out and not need to... But I was in your position and had my baby in Canada before my husband arrived... The nice option you will have is to spend your maternity leave in Mexico with your husband to wait out his paperwork if he is not granted the visa before... It will take 3-4 weeks to get the baby's travel documents in order then you head down, with the ability to collect the maternity EI benefits legally while you're there (which probably go further in Mexico to support you than they would in canada)...

It wasn't an easy pregnancy away from my husband but the 7m I spent in Jamaica made up for it a little... Wishing I could have a repeat performance this winter!!!

Good luck and Congrats!

I Agree with you 100% , baby better off having a Canadian Birth Certificate and born in a Canadian Hospital

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Bottom line - it's portugalpat's pregnancy and her decision. It is certainly an option for her, and I think that's all anyone was pointing out - not making a recommendation either way. Nobody gets to make that decision for her - and even if we disagree on whether Mexican hospitals or healthcare is comparable to what is available in Canada, portugalpat gets to have her baby where she wants to - even if that's in some Mexican field!!

The bottom line is that the chances of her husband getting a TRV to come to Canada to wait out the PR application, or be here for the birth of the baby, are slim. Mexico is now non-visa-exempt, and non-visa-exempt nationals are routinely refused TRVs to come to Canada when they are married to Canadians and especially when there is a PR ap in process. That's because - in order to be approved for a TRV, they have to prove they intend to return home and, by virtue of having a spouse (and a child) in Canada, the applicant is usually unable to do that.

mikeyvr

Mar 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Appeal won Sept 2010
File Transfer...
16-11- 2010
Med's Request
Doc request Dec 2010
Med's Done....
15-02-2011
RobsLuv said:
Bottom line - it's portugalpat's pregnancy and her decision. It is certainly an option for her, and I think that's all anyone was pointing out - not making a recommendation either way. Nobody gets to make that decision for her - and even if we disagree on whether Mexican hospitals or healthcare is comparable to what is available in Canada, portugalpat gets to have her baby where she wants to - even if that's in some Mexican field!!

The bottom line is that the chances of her husband getting a TRV to come to Canada to wait out the PR application, or be here for the birth of the baby, are slim. Mexico is now non-visa-exempt, and non-visa-exempt nationals are routinely refused TRVs to come to Canada when they are married to Canadians and especially when there is a PR ap in process. That's because - in order to be approved for a TRV, they have to prove they intend to return home and, by virtue of having a spouse (and a child) in Canada, the applicant is usually unable to do that.

Two bottom lines LOL LOL

portugalpat

Sep 3, 2010
Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate the feedback.
Let me clarify that the reason I dont want to have my baby is Mexico, is not because of the healthcare system, but because of the crime and danger that many of its citizens are experiencing everyday. Things are really bad in the city where my husband comes from, and he himself does not want me there, as members of his own family have been victims.

It is really unfortunate and RIDICULOUS that father of my child cannot even be here for the birth of his offspring.

I am so frustrated!

But thanks anyways for the insight.