+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help me understand the 160 hour month scenario!!!!

Jun 12, 2015
I work for a private firm based in Toronto. Still on my probation. I was informed by my boss last week, that I will have to work 8 hours and 15 mins from Monday and that I will have only 15 mins of lunch time. I thought in Canada has to work a minimum of 8 hours a day with a 30 min lunch break included. This 30 min lunch break is not paid and the calculation comes to 22 day X 7.30 hrs a day = 160 hours a month. Now my question is, if this is the scenario then I end up working for 22 days = 176 hours a month? I am on salary so can they force me work for 16 extra hours without pay? And is it legal that they can force me to oblige?

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Mohanish.Panchal said:
I work for a private firm based in Toronto. Still on my probation. I was informed by my boss last week, that I will have to work 8 hours and 15 mins from Monday and that I will have only 15 mins of lunch time. I thought in Canada has to work a minimum of 8 hours a day with a 30 min lunch break included. This 30 min lunch break is not paid and the calculation comes to 22 day X 7.30 hrs a day = 160 hours a month. Now my question is, if this is the scenario then I end up working for 22 days = 176 hours a month? I am on salary so can they force me work for 16 extra hours without pay? And is it legal that they can force me to oblige?
15 minutes for lunch is illegal. Check here:

Workers in Ontario are entitled to a minimum 11 consecutive hours free from work each day and eight hours between shifts if the total hours worked on the two shifts would be more than 13 hours.

• You are entitled to 24 consecutive hours of rest each week or 48 hours free from work in a two-week period.

• You must not work more than five consecutive hours without a 30-minute break. If you and your employer agree, you are permitted to split the break into two 15-minute periods.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mohanish.Panchal said:
Labour laws depend on the province. You can look up Ontario here: http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/faqs/general.php#breaks and you can download the law on that website too if you click on laws to the left.

As said, they can not just give you one 15 min. break. They have to give you a half hour break but it may be split up into two 15 min. breaks if you agree and it may be unpaid even if you don't agree. If you are supposed to work 8 hrs. a day, this would mean that instead of working 9 to 5 for example, you'd work 8:30 to 5 or 9 to 5:30. Your contract should say how many hours you are supposed to work. If your boss increases your working hours without paying you more, it sounds like you just took a pay cut. If you accept the pay cut, that's up to you. If you make a fuss, you are still in your probation time as you say and they could kick you out.

Have you tried discussing with your boss what is expected of you? Maybe they are planning to pay you for working more.