+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Insurance on IEC - Australians

Oct 16, 2014
yokies said:
I was unable to find a place that would cover for 2 years too. So I purchased a 1 year travel insurance and my intention was to extend it after. I am currently on IEC. I was never asked to provide my insurance or proof of income when I got my permit (maybe I was lucky?), they gave me the 2 year permit. I entered from Vancouver. After I found work I then applied for OHIP which is ontario health coverage so I didn't have to extend my travel insurance after 1 year.
Is there still a need for a repatriation coverage in this case? The guidelines are unclear- I wouldn't want to spend extra just to have this one option covered

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
That will not be necessary- from what I've heard the working holiday visa holders can enroll into a provincial health care without having coverage for repatriation- it wouldn't be considered breaking of the IEC rules. That said, you never know what might happen so it doesn't hurt to look around to check if it makes sense to cover it.

mwreal

Jul 27, 2015
Hi,

As I am new, I'm not sure why I can't make a new topic, but this one is relevant enough to my question that I feel like posting here would be fine.
I have applied for the Working Holiday visa under the IEC program, and according to the chart, if things go according to plan I'll be accepted by mid-september.
I'm wondering if I'll need to apply for health insurance while I'm in Australia, or like the topic suggests, will be able to apply while I'm in Canada. I'm posting as the last reply was in 2014, so I do not know if things have changed since then. I'm not familiar with the process, though I've traveled overseas before, but I am unaware of how one would be able to apply for health insurance before presenting it to the immigration offices once you arrive at the airport. For reference, I'll be moving to Toronto.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

yokies

Star Member
Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
AOR Received.
28-08-2014 and 09-09-2014
Med's Done....
18-04-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2014
LANDED..........
27-12-2014
I believe one of the requirements for the IEC is to have health coverage.... so if at the border they ask for proof that you have adequate health coverage you would have to provide this otherwise they can deny you entry. As for my experience I was lucky they didn't ask for proof of funds or health insurance but you just wouldn't want to take the chance.
You can definitely apply for OHIP once you have proof that you are working full time... and then you will have to wait 3 mths until you are eligible.

NZjosh

Sep 29, 2013
mwreal said:
Hi,

As I am new, I'm not sure why I can't make a new topic, but this one is relevant enough to my question that I feel like posting here would be fine.
I have applied for the Working Holiday visa under the IEC program, and according to the chart, if things go according to plan I'll be accepted by mid-september.
I'm wondering if I'll need to apply for health insurance while I'm in Australia, or like the topic suggests, will be able to apply while I'm in Canada. I'm posting as the last reply was in 2014, so I do not know if things have changed since then. I'm not familiar with the process, though I've traveled overseas before, but I am unaware of how one would be able to apply for health insurance before presenting it to the immigration offices once you arrive at the airport. For reference, I'll be moving to Toronto.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
I was at the border last week (Alberta/Montana boder) and the border guy did not accept my Alberta Healthcare + Alberta Bluecross Healthcare (through work) and made me buy travel insurance on the spot or not accept my application.

2 years earlier it was accepted without travel insurance, so it all depends who you get at the border but if you dont want any delays or complications i would buy travel insurance

rachiy

May 9, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-07-2012
AOR Received.
12-09-2012
File Transfer...
12-09-2012
Med's Done....
16-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-01-2013
LANDED..........
29-01-2013
NZjosh said:
I was at the border last week (Alberta/Montana boder) and the border guy did not accept my Alberta Healthcare + Alberta Bluecross Healthcare (through work) and made me buy travel insurance on the spot or not accept my application.

2 years earlier it was accepted without travel insurance, so it all depends who you get at the border but if you dont want any delays or complications i would buy travel insurance
Were you at the Coutts border? Those guys are notorious for being very strict/unreasonable.
Cancel the insurance that you bought - you wont be able to claim anything when you have other coverage anyway so there is no point in having it.

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
They were probably looking for repatriation coverage which is one of the requirements which is lacking with provincial health care plans. Hopefully they will straighten that out so that people are not confused. But it's correct - private coverage is not valid while provincial coverage is in place- some plans will not even allow to purchase it.