+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health insurance extension when applying for OWP on WHV?

May 16, 2016
Hi,

On the document checklist for applying to change the conditions of your stay as a worker, there is a checkbox that says:

"If you are a participant in the IEC program, provide proof of health insurance covering the intended extension to your length of stay in Canada".

I am currently on a Working Holiday Visa (so, the IEC program) and will be sending my PR application (family class, common-law) along with my application to extend my OWP.

Do I need to obtain health insurance to cover me for a further year, or until my PR application is processed?

Very confused! Any help really appreciated.

Thanks,

Claire

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi,

On the document checklist for applying to change the conditions of your stay as a worker, there is a checkbox that says:

"If you are a participant in the IEC program, provide proof of health insurance covering the intended extension to your length of stay in Canada".

I am currently on a Working Holiday Visa (so, the IEC program) and will be sending my PR application (family class, common-law) along with my application to extend my OWP.

Do I need to obtain health insurance to cover me for a further year, or until my PR application is processed?

Thanks,

Claire
1. No, not past the end of your IEC. Mind you end up in hospital, it could bankrupt you.

3peat

Oct 2, 2017
Hi,

Thanks,

Claire

Hi Claire,

I am in the exact same situation, however, I didn't originally submit an open work permit with my PR application - (common law) because I thought I had plenty of time, But im applying for an OWP now as my IEC work permir expires in Late Jan 2017. Anyway did you find out any more info regarding the IEC question and whether you need to get additional Health insurance after your IEC permit expires?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Nathan.