+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Graduate Research Assistant as work experience for TFW category of CEC

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
My case is also similar that I have 12 hours of Teaching and 26 hours of Research Assistant employment over the last two years.
I get T4 for Teaching and T4A slip for Research Assistant in Canada.
Am I eligible for CEC Experience as Foreign Worker?
Senior members, please advise!!! Thanks!

herschel

Jul 27, 2011
Hi,

I saw your post about applying under CEC with TA & RA work experience on the immigration forum and was wondering if your application was accepted or not.
I'm in the same boat and would be grateful if you could please let me know how the results of your application turned out.

Thanks a lot!

sampan

Aug 2, 2011
Hello everyone,

The question of whether GRA (NOC 4122) counts as work experience seems to be a recurring topic, so I thought I'd give my input on this

A friend of mine is a graduate student with some research and teaching assistant responsibilities, and she has been approved for PR through the CEC stream. She is receiving some graduate stipends (T4A) as well as salary for her TAship (T4). Since her employment is on campus, she only needs a study permit. In addition, there is no hard guideline of how many hours she works per week (since graduate research positions are more self-directed), so when she filled her application form, she simply put down 40 hours in the form, and then she asked her supervisor to back that up in the letter of employment. She applied around March 2010 and landed just last month (July 2011).

I am also in a similar situation where I am working as a research assistant for my graduate study, and I applied for PR - CEC in May 2010. My application is at the last stage where I am waiting for my passport to be returned from Buffalo. Similar to my friend, I am receiving some graduate stipends (T4A) as well as salary for my TAship (T4). I should also mention that both my friend and I did our bachelor's degree in Canada, so we only need one year of work experience.

Now how is it possible to qualify for CEC through GRA? Well, in my own opinion only, attending graduate school is kind of like having a full-time job because:
  • You are receiving a payment (scholarship/stipend/salary) to do research work which benefits mostly the professor/researcher you are working for. A lot of times, your stipend comes out of their pocket/research grant, so you can almost think of yourself as working for them.
  • As I mentioned earlier, when doing graduate research, the work is more self-directed so there are usually no set hours of how many hours per week you should do. Those things are up to you and must be agreed upon with your own supervisor, who will then put it in his/her letter of employment.
  • Oftentimes, graduate students are required to perform teaching assistantship duties, and these things definitely count as employment.

I must stress to everyone who is not familiar with graduate study that graduate study is very different from a bachelor's study which is very course-based. Typically, master's students have a very light course load, and most of the study is concentrated in doing research work for their thesis. Depending on the project, a master's student might have to come in to the laboratory everyday early in the morning until late evenings, and oftentimes we must work on weekends too! As a result, graduate studies are becoming more like a full-time job which requires a lot of dedication and energy. So in the end, I believe that if you want to use your GRA as work experience, you have to position yourself well in your PR application and make sure to thoroughly convince the immigration officer of your duties and responsibilities, and that this is more like a job rather than just a study.

I must conclude by including a disclaimer that I am, by no means, an expert on the subject of PR/immigration. I just wanted to share some examples and my experience which I think could help clarify this matter and help a number of us who are also in the same situation.

Good luck everyone! :)

NKKD Hortons

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2011, CC charged: 26-09-2011
AOR Received.
PER on 24-10-2011
Dear All,

Can you please tell me if I am eligible for CEC application.

Masters from Canadian university: Jan 2004 - August 2006 with full time paid GRA position - NOC 4122

Went back to home country in 2006 Oct and worked for 4 years full time paid employment -NOC 2121 and NOC 2221

Now in USA- not working.

Someone please reply. I much appreciate your response.

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm in the same situation: 3rd year PhD student, with Grad Teaching Assistanship (T4) and RA as well, (T4a).

I think I might go for it, like sampan described it seems possible, but I really wonder if the outcome depends on the immigration worker our file gets sent to.

In addition, and sorry if I'm being naive, I was actually planning on applying to the Skilled Worker category (with the same problem though: do my PhD working hours count as full time work?) so I'm wondering why you guys are looking more towards CEC.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
and I'm very glad I found this forum!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
NKKD Hortons said:
Dear All,

Masters from Canadian university: Jan 2004 - August 2006 with full time paid GRA position - NOC 4122

Went back to home country in 2006 Oct and worked for 4 years full time paid employment -NOC 2121 and NOC 2221
If you have at least one year of full-time experience in NOC 2121, you may qualify under the Federal Skilled Workers Program -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
sampan said:
I must stress to everyone who is not familiar with graduate study that graduate study is very different from a bachelor's study which is very course-based. Typically, master's students have a very light course load, and most of the study is concentrated in doing research work for their thesis. ...
Graduate programs vary greatly - only certain fields will be like the one you described. I would certainly not dispute the fact that it's hard work - been there! - but don't see why lab "work" or course "work" or field "work" would be any different - if its done as part of the degree requirements, then it's "education," not "employment." Many graduate TAs and RAs actually perform WORK for someone else, with defined (if flexible) hours...

Nonetheless - graduate students are exactly the kind of immigrants most Canadians can agree on. One program or another, sooner or later, you will likely qualify, so I think it's a good thing if CIC is flexible in accepting 4122's...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ASG said:
In addition, and sorry if I'm being naive, I was actually planning on applying to the Skilled Worker category (with the same problem though: do my PhD working hours count as full time work?) so I'm wondering why you guys are looking more towards CEC.
Hmmm... Not sure how you would qualify under FSW unless you were planning to use a different NOC (not 4122)...?

In any case, CEC applications are still processed faster than FSW, and the application itself is a little bit easier to complete.

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
Hmmm... Not sure how you would qualify under FSW unless you were planning to use a different NOC (not 4122)...?

In any case, CEC applications are still processed faster than FSW, and the application itself is a little bit easier to complete.
yes, instead of applying with this NOC, I was going to use the NOC that pertains to my field: natural sciences. It's opened to immigration.

My case is that I don't have a letter of employment andI haven't graduated yet since I'm still conducting my PhD, so the FSW worked for me because it only required a year of full time work. If I manage to get my PhD years recognized as full time work, then I don't need anything else to apply.

After reading the conditions of the CEC, it seemed to me that I couldn't qualify for it because it required either graduation or 2 years of full time work.

In the end, as long as my PhD years can be recognized as full time work, I should be able to apply to either CEC or FSW. The thing is, I want my partner to be able to apply as well, and I don't think he has enough working hours to value 2 years of full time work for CEC.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ASG said:
yes, instead of applying with this NOC, I was going to use the NOC that pertains to my field: natural sciences. It's opened to immigration.

My case is that I don't have a letter of employment andI haven't graduated yet since I'm still conducting my PhD, so the FSW worked for me because it only required a year of full time work. If I manage to get my PhD years recognized as full time work, then I don't need anything else to apply.

Tricky... I don't know if you'll be able to use the other NOC as a graduate student. If you try it, let us know how it turns out...

After reading the conditions of the CEC, it seemed to me that I couldn't qualify for it because it required either graduation or 2 years of full time work.

Right, you wouldn't qualify as a post-grad (yet), so it would require the equivalent of 2 years of full-time work (completed within 3 years).

In the end, as long as my PhD years can be recognized as full time work, I should be able to apply to either CEC or FSW. The thing is, I want my partner to be able to apply as well, and I don't think he has enough working hours to value 2 years of full time work for CEC.

1) If you have been living together for at least one year, your partner can be on your application as a common-law spouse.

2) You don't say what province you are in, but you should also look into the provincial nominee programs (PNP). Some of them have special programs for graduate students - in Ontario, for example, you would qualify as soon as you graduate with your PhD.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/apply-who.asp

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm in ON but I want to go to BC and both PNP for these provinces require to have a degree from the province you apply to. And I really don't want to wait to graduate to get permanent residence...

defenestration

Star Member
Jul 8, 2011
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2010
Doc's Request.
11-06-2011
AOR Received.
29-03-2011
Med's Request
31-05-2011
Med's Done....
04-07-2011
Passport Req..
23-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2011
LANDED..........
07-09-2011
NKKD Hortons said:

You're definitely not eligible under CEC. Even if we assume your GRA counts as work, Canadian work experience has to have been within the last 3 years. Work experience elsewhere doesn't matter for CEC.

luzhang

Aug 24, 2011
Hi All,

I plan to apply for CEC soon. I am kind of in the same situation. Not sure I am qualified for the work experience requirement:

4th year PhD student. Have worked as RA and TA during the past 3 years in the PhD program (about 12h/week). Taught undergraduate courses for 2 semesters (as required by the program). But most of the payment of RA/TA and teaching are in the package of my scholarship (T4A), not employment income (T4).

Any comments or help will be greatly appreciated.

sethgreen

Sep 7, 2011
Hi, I'm in a similar situation. Could anyone tell me if I can apply through CEC?
1) I got a BSc in Canada ( 4 years university degree)
2) Then, I got into a PhD program in Canada and have worked as RA for 3 years until now. I have work attestation letter stating 35hrs per week and I received both T4 and T4A.
3) The only document I'm missing from the document checklist of CEC is the Work Permit. All my work has been done under study permit, since it's considered on-campus work. But it's also the work done after I received the BSc in Canada.

So Can I apply for CEC? Is the work permit a pre-requisite for all applicants? Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

luzhang said:
Hi All,

I plan to apply for CEC soon. I am kind of in the same situation. Not sure I am qualified for the work experience requirement:

4th year PhD student. Have worked as RA and TA during the past 3 years in the PhD program (about 12h/week). Taught undergraduate courses for 2 semesters (as required by the program). But most of the payment of RA/TA and teaching are in the package of my scholarship (T4A), not employment income (T4).

Any comments or help will be greatly appreciated.
From the FAQ for CEC

Frequently asked questions:
Canadian Experience Class
I want to apply as a graduate. Can part-time work experience during my full-time studies in Canada be counted toward the one-year requirement?

No. Your work experience must be gained after graduation.