+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

going to Canada 3months before school starts

kwamepipim

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Hello,

I was supposed to be in Canada in January 2016. But didn't receive my visa in time so I had my school defer my class to September 2017. I have received my visa and new acceptance, and I am planning on going to Canada June 2017 while my school starts in September, please is it advisable, will I have to be returned and wait till the school starts or I can go earlier without any problem.
someone please help me out.

Paaye

Mar 18, 2016
kwamepipim said:
Hello,

I was supposed to be in Canada in January 2016. But didn't receive my visa in time so I had my school defer my class to September 2017. I have received my visa and new acceptance, and I am planning on going to Canada June 2017 while my school starts in September, please is it advisable, will I have to be returned and wait till the school starts or I can go earlier without any problem.
Theres nothing wrong in that but you need to give immigration a good reason why you wanna enter early, maybe you wanna visit a family member or you could say you wanna familiarise with your new environment before school start. You just need to have enough money on you to cater for that gap (june-aug) before school and mine you they might ask

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kwamepipim said:
3 months is very early. There is a definite possibility of being refused entry and told to return closer to September.

kwamepipim

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Ookat guys, what about last week of July. I think that will be okay. Cause I will have just a month before school starts.

Lashen

Nov 1, 2016
kwamepipim said:
Ookat guys, what about last week of July. I think that will be okay. Cause I will have just a month before school starts.
Last week of July will be ok. But it all depends on your country of citizenship. If you hold passport from US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and few others, you will normally not have problems even if you enter 3 months before.

Lashen

Nov 1, 2016
kwamepipim said:
I am coming from Ghana.
I will advice that to be very safe come in the first week of August. There is no need to rush. However, if you have some research in the summer and you have letter to prove then you can, especially for PHD.

Lashen

Nov 1, 2016
kwamepipim said:
Nope, I am coming for an undergraduate program
If you come more than a month till your program starts, then you do so at your own risk. It also depends on the immigration officer. Some are good though!!

joe_cic

Apr 12, 2017
Absolutely incorrect information...nothing wrong with travelling months before your study starts as long as you've been issued a visa. This was my exact case in 2010...I travelled in March, school start day was July. I was welcomed with no questioning.

Good luck!

Reactions: LuisRustan

NoodlePhase1

Apr 27, 2017
kwamepipim said:
Ookay. Will figure something up
Hey, did you decide on your arrival date? I have the same plan to come 3 months early before Fall semester, too. I come from Vietnam. Not sure I wanna risk getting sent back home and having to purchase another plane ticket :-X

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
NoodlePhase1 said:
Hey, did you decide on your arrival date? I have the same plan to come 3 months early before Fall semester, too. I come from Vietnam. Not sure I wanna risk getting sent back home and having to purchase another plane ticket :-X
The issue is that it doesn't take 3 months to get sorted and settle in, so CBSA may be concerned with your motives for coming that early. Some students come early to work before school starts, which is illegal.

Inez03

Dec 30, 2018
Hello,

Hi! Just read ur thread and found out that i hve the same scenario as you are. They just released my visa and i already deferred my intake to sept 2019. Just want to ask were you able to enter canada fee months earlier without problems?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Absolutely incorrect information...nothing wrong with travelling months before your study starts as long as you've been issued a visa. This was my exact case in 2010...I travelled in March, school start day was July. I was welcomed with no questioning.

Good luck!
That was 9 years ago. Times have changed