+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Giving Birth in Canada

ahmadali221

Aug 27, 2017
Dear All,

My wife is 5 months pregnant and we are living in Denmark on a work permit. We want her to give birth in Canada so the new born is already Canadian when he open eyes for the first time.
We think we can go there on visit visa and then find a local hospital/doctor who might help in delivery.

We are not sure about the process involved and need help with information like:

Costs of medical/baby delivery
Immigration, are parents allowed to stay in Canada once the baby is born?
What province would be more suitable for us?

Please help guide me through this, thanks in advance.

Ahmad Ali

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
- Plan for $7K to $10K. Costs can be substantially higher if there are any complications.
- No, parents are not allowed to stay in Canada once the baby is born. If you want to immigrate, you have to qualify just like anyone else. Having a Canadian citizen baby gives you absolutely no advantages.
- No difference between provinces.

Be aware that if your wife is visibly pregnant when she arrives and CBSA officers have concerns she has come to Canada specifically to give birth and/or you have plans to remain in Canada long term, it is possible to be refused entry and sent home.

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
Sounds like a really bad plan, healthcare in Canada is expensive without insurance, you're going to have medical check ups before giving birth, your wife may get sick and need medical help in the run up to giving birth. then there's the cost of giving birth. Plus you have to support yourselves here with not being able to work. And after all that no advantage to being able to stay here long term.

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
Dear All,

My wife is 5 months pregnant and we are living in Denmark on a work permit. We want her to give birth in Canada so the new born is already Canadian when he open eyes for the first time.
We think we can go there on visit visa and then find a local hospital/doctor who might help in delivery.

We are not sure about the process involved and need help with information like:

Please help guide me through this, thanks in advance.

Ahmad Ali
Once 18, a baby born in Canada can sponsor parents and other family members for citizenship
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/processing/birth.asp
http://www.international.gc.ca/protocol-protocole/policies-politiques/births-naissances.aspx?lang=eng
http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/health-headlines/is-birth-tourism-a-problem-in-canada-doctors-on-frontline-of-debate-1.3023973
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_nationality_law

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Once 18, a baby born in Canada can sponsor parents and other family members for citizenship
No - that's not quite how it works.

First of all, they can't sponsor their family members for citizenship - only for permanent residency. Secondly, they can't sponsor parents and other family members. They can only sponsor their parents and dependent children. Thirdly, being 18 years old is not enough to qualify. They must also have work for at least three years in Canada and over the last three years, made enough income to meet the low income cut off requirements. Lastly, they must be selected as a sponsor through the lottery.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Budget around $10,000. Note that your wife will not have access to healtcare while here, and most importantly in most provinces the baby will not have access to healthcare either, since parents are not residents. So where costs can really increase is if the baby needs neonatal medical care immediately after birth which will probably run at least $25K per day. There was a case of an Australian couple who had a baby in Canada while here on vacation, and because baby was sick they ended up with a bill for $1 Million that they are now paying for the rest of their life.

No, you'll be expected to leave with your baby after your visas expire.

If your child moves back to Canada when older, and works here for 3+ years making necessary income, they can potentially sponsor you for PR later on (probably in 25 years or so). Then again, who knows what the rules around sponsoring parents will be, or if there will still be a parents program at all at that time.

All the same.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
No - that's not quite how it works.

First of all, they can't sponsor their family members for citizenship - only for permanent residency. Secondly, they can't sponsor parents and other family members. They can only sponsor their parents and dependent children. Thirdly, being 18 years old is not enough to qualify. They must also have work for at least three years in Canada and over the last three years, made enough income to meet the low income cut off requirements. Lastly, they must be selected as a sponsor through the lottery.
of course my darling, read first the official links I wrote
18 year old is the beginning of the long process for sponsor their family (+3 years) and permanent residency is the first step for citizenship (+4 years)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
of course my darling, read first the official links I wrote
18 year old is the beginning of the long process for sponsor their family (+3 years) and permanent residency is the first step for citizenship (+4 years)
You didn't post on this thread unless you have 2 IDs.

An 18 year old can't even think of sponsoring their parents, unless they've been making good income in Canada since age 14 or so. So not likely. Also as mentioned they have to be selected in a lottery once they do meet income requirement.

Plus the rules will be completely different in 20 years time.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
An 18 year old can't even think of sponsoring their parents, unless they've been making good income in Canada since age 14 or so.

Plus the rules will be completely different in 20 years time.
of course my darling, it is a long process and many condition to meet, just read the official links I wrote

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
of course my darling, it is a long process and many condition to meet, just read the official links I wrote
Again, you didn't post any links.

You should read the CIC links "lossada" posted, as you obviously don't really understand the process. Pay attention to how Canadians can sponsor parents. An 18 year old most likely will not qualify to sponsor parents.