+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married in the philippines - Questions

Chardilane

Nov 18, 2012
Steph C said:
Chardilane, so both you and your previous Filipino husband were married in the Philippines and divorced in Canada? Is that right? And now you want to marry again but you feel that you can't because the Philippines won't recognize your Canadian divorce? Is that correct?
There was a member here who I was reading her posts just recently, same situation, and they married in Hong Kong.

Can I contact this member? What happened and what are the requirements? Thank you.

Chardilane

Nov 18, 2012
Yes Stephen C. we are both filipino citizen. I cannot afford to get annulled too much money needed. Just asking what happened to the couple who got married in Hong Kong who has same situation that we have.? Thank you.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Chardilane said:
Yes Stephen C. we are both filipino citizen. I cannot afford to get annulled too much money needed. Just asking what happened to the couple who got married in Hong Kong who has same situation that we have.? Thank you.
Canada will ultimately recognize the marriage in Hong Kong. But I think it won't be without questions and necessary proof of severance with your ex.

Chardilane

Nov 18, 2012
Hi Stephen C,

I have two copies of my divorced certificate, I obtained them from Vancouver Supreme Court. Is that good enough to prove that I am no longer connected with my ex, and we have no relationship anymore? If we will get married in Hong Kong what are the requirements needed? Thank you in advance.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Chardilane said:
Hi Stephen C,

I have two copies of my divorced certificate, I obtained them from Vancouver Supreme Court. Is that good enough to prove that I am no longer connected with my ex, and we have no relationship anymore? If we will get married in Hong Kong what are the requirements needed? Thank you in advance.
No idea what the requirements are for marriage in HK.. maybe a google will tell you?

mendy

Jan 7, 2014
Re: Martial Status - Question

My soon to be husband is a Philippine national and is here in Fiji for work permit. during his stay we managed to hooked up and decided to get married.
if someone can kindly help to where can I get his martial status picked up...
plzzz plzz.. someone can help me on this one.

Darkman00

Mar 24, 2016
computerangel said:
Hi I just get married Last June 25,
Im from cebu city but The consulate in cebu city was not here.
So we travelled to manila and we go to Canadian Embassy just go there
as early as posibble coz there's to many people in the line. First come first serve basis.
The Certificate of Legal Capacity takes only 15mins. Make sure when u go there u dont bring any cellphone, cameras or any gadgets there very strict with that.
U just need a divorce paper if ur divorce or death cert. if ur widowed.
Bring also the receipt for that coz they would check. Your passport and you just pay certain amount peso or dollar.
=In ur fiancee side. She needs both Cert. of Non Marriage or CENOMAR from both of u. They check if u had been married before here or ur gf.
=NSO birth cert. of ur gf.
= Barangay Clearance
=Cedula
= Divorce paper/death cert. for u
=Photo copy of ur passport ur latest arrival before and after u meet.
front cover too.
= Both of u must attend a one day seminar depends to the place im from cebu
me and my husband attend that boring seminar. He never understand anything they speak in my language so its pretty tiring and boring for him. But he was sweet and wait.
= then after seminar if u dont want to waste time u can apply directly
theres alot of form to fill up so make sure everything is write down correctly.
=10bussines or non working days. but try to ask coz where from diff. cities
u can inquire too they give u a receipt and they will write down the date u need
to pick up the licensed. Then u decide which judge u want..
Happy Wedding Advanced
Hello all ...

I am quoting that particular post (that's in quotes above) ... but there were similar ones.

I would like to find out some additional or approximate information if possible.

I am Canadian Citizen ... and if upon travelling to Philippines would like to get married there to Filipina lady (national of Philippines) ... Do you think 30 days of my staying there will be enough for everything needed to successfully "achieve" the marriage in Manila (with all needed papers and documents to do so) or not? ... and if not how long do you think enough to "achieve this goal"?

It was mentioned that getting the marriage license takes 10-14 days or something like that (unless willing to pay extra to have it expedited if it's even possible).

The question and concern: after completing that seminar and receiving the needed marriage license ... how soon can the appointment be made for the Civil ceremony?
What's the approximate time frame for that?
For example .. can the marriage ceremony be performed the same day license is received or not? (probably not).

The what's the approx. soonest to book the appointment to have marriage ceremony performed?

And then again, the original / first question:

Do you think 30 days of my staying there will be enough for everything needed to successfully "achieve" the marriage in Manila (with all needed papers and documents to do so) or not? ... and if not how long do you think enough to "achieve this goal"?

---

After 30 days (if that's enough) ... I am planning to return back to Canada by myself ... and apply for Sponsorship of Spouse, residing in Philippines.

Is that the best way / the most efficient way to do the Sponsorship?

I think I read somewhere before that the priority is given for quicker approval .. to the spouses can be together ... Is that so?

Is the approximate time frame for that 6 months ... or longer now?

---

Also the marriage certificate that eventually will be issued in Philippines (more likely my Spouse would apply for last name change at the same time the needed paperwork is filled out) obviously would require some time to receive, and I won't even see it (if my stay in Manila is 30 days only, as would plan and prefer)...

The question here is: When applying to sponsor my Spouse living abroad (in Philippines) ... would that marriage certificate be required at the time of my filing ... or the marriage certificate needs to remain Philippines maybe ... and produced by my Spouse in Manila (say to Canadian Embassy or whoever else) during Immigration process?

Or upon receiving the certificate ... it should be sent to me here in Canada ... and only then I can file for Sponsorship of Spouse?

Thanks

J-adore

Oct 15, 2018
Hi good morning! Im Canadian citizen. I have a girlfriend in the Philippines. But both same sex. Is it possible if i go back home and marry in Philippine consulate in manila?

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Hi good morning! Im Canadian citizen. I have a girlfriend in the Philippines. But both same sex. Is it possible if i go back home and marry in Philippine consulate in manila?
If you're both women, you can't get married in the Philippines. You could get married in Canada, if your gf can get a TRV. If not, you can apply through conjugal (though for that to work, your gf must apply for the TRV and get refused - that way you have both a legal and immigration barrier to getting married.)

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Can i ask you something? What is TRV? thank u
TRV is a temporary resident visa aka a tourist/visitor visa.

If she can get it, then you can get married in Canada. If she gets refused, then you have an immigration (she's been refused a visa to Canada) and legal (you can't get married or legally cohabit as a same sex couple in the Philippines) barrier to getting married which means you qualify for conjugal sponsorship.

So, try to get her a TRV and get married in Canada (or common law, if she can stay with you for 12 straight months). If not and she gets refused, apply through conjugal.

mbp518

Apr 14, 2019
im a canadian getting married in the Philippines.. Do i need to bring any form for the statutory declaration or the form will be available there? Thanks!

Louman64

Sep 22, 2016
scarborough toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-04-2019
Doc's Request.
No news yet
Hi I am a filipino permanent card holder here in Canada. I am divorced with my filipino husband. I am marrying my fiancee in the Philippines. What are the things that i need to get marry? Is the Canadian embassy in the Philippines will ask for some documentations?

Your reply is very well appreciated.

Thanks

Chardilane.
You cannot re marry in the Philippines ....first of all when you divorce your husband in the Phil you are a PR holder only that means youre still a Filipino and you still have to file annulment in your country. If you have waited to be a Canadian Citizen you just have to sent your divorce certificate in Manila to be recognize by the court there, you dont have to file for annulment anymore. The best thing to do is get married to another country which recognizes Canadian divorce such as Hong Kong etc