George Brown College -Information Systems Business Analyst

dks2323

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
God of war said:
Hi dks2323,
I was wondering how is the job opportunities after Information system Business Analyst course? and how much one can expect to earn after this course if someone has 3 years experience in IT company in India? And what about the co-op? is it easy to get co-op terms from George brown? and i am assuming if it is a co-op then it must be paid right? Are you working in toronto? Thanks
You can not depend on this course to get a job. Your 3 years of exp can get you a job. But again it depends on your skill set. I know a guy with 3-4 years of .net exp and earning around 80K. But he is not working as a BA but as a .net developer.
If your exp is in BA then expect to get a Junior BA role with around 45-50K of salary.

Co-ops are not difficult to get and yes it is paid (around 15 cad/hour). When I did this course, most of us got the co-ops but I have heard that the batch after me had a hard time to get the co-op. Most of them did not get it.

Yes, I am working in Toronto.

akhilrnair

Aug 27, 2016
Hello,
I will be joining Information technology Business Analyst in september 2017 in george brown, i will be getting 2 yrs of experience by next September in HCL.

1- so want to know is george brown good for this course?
2- will there be plenty of job opportunities after this course?
3- About co-op, will that be suggested by college or do we have to find ourselves?

Please let me know.

thanks in Advance.

God of war

Aug 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thank you so much for your reply. so you got job based on this course or based on your previous work experience? 15/hr is not bad at least students can save some money. thats what i heard. it is getting tougher to get co-op in toronto.
dks2323 said:
You can not depend on this course to get a job. Your 3 years of exp can get you a job. But again it depends on your skill set. I know a guy with 3-4 years of .net exp and earning around 80K. But he is not working as a BA but as a .net developer.
If your exp is in BA then expect to get a Junior BA role with around 45-50K of salary.

Co-ops are not difficult to get and yes it is paid (around 15 cad/hour). When I did this course, most of us got the co-ops but I have heard that the batch after me had a hard time to get the co-op. Most of them did not get it.

dks2323

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
God of war said:
thank you so much for your reply. so you got job based on this course or based on your previous work experience? 15/hr is not bad at least students can save some money. thats what i heard. it is getting tougher to get co-op in toronto.
Well, I got it totally on my experience. I did not even go for co-op. I got the full time during co-op and I continued after the co-op.
Yes, The batch after me had difficult time to get the co-op. Most of them DID NOT get it.

Well, Toronto is expensive so 15 CAD/Hr is nothing compared to the expenses. But it all depend on the individual.

God of war

Aug 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yeah that's true. Toronto is expensive. But what I feel is ..co-op has less pay in Toronto. so comparing to that 15/hr seems okay. I did my co-op in sask and pay is way more compared to Toronto I guess.
dks2323 said:
Well, I got it totally on my experience. I did not even go for co-op. I got the full time during co-op and I continued after the co-op.
Yes, The batch after me had difficult time to get the co-op. Most of them DID NOT get it.

Well, Toronto is expensive so 15 CAD/Hr is nothing compared to the expenses. But it all depend on the individual.

manish723

Sep 20, 2016
dks2323 said:
a)What courses can you take to make it a 3 yr visa? How much more will this cost?

You can do 2 one year courses to get the 3 years of post graduate work permit. Or you can do any other course of 2 or more years to get the 3 years of work permit.

All the post graduate courses have similar fees structure....so its around 7500 CAD per semester.

b) How does the work visa work? Can you work for a year and then join college for 1 more year or you have to finish 2 years and then get the 3 years permit?

You can apply for post graduate work permit only ONCE in your life. Once you have applied for it then you can not apply it again....so you have to study continuously to get the 3 years permit.

c) Generally what is the pay rate in the co-op?

Usually the co-op pay rate is around 15-20 dollars an hour and you work 37.5 hours per week.
If you are lucky enough you can ask the employer to offer you full time job in the co-op period and then you can continue after your last semester. This is what I did....I started working full-time, starting my co-op period. But I had good experience before coming to Canada so its all your luck and past experience.
Hello Dk, is this course good for those who are almost fresher?

dks2323

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manish723 said:
Hello Dk, is this course good for those who are almost fresher?
Hhhhmmmm...may be...you will get to learn the terms that being used in BA world...What all documents.....How to create the documents...what should be the content of these documents.....

But think about this...what after you are done with this course...you have no experience as you are a fresher...and this course is a no guarantee for a job....If you are lucky, you may get a junior BA job....

But most of the guys of my batch are doing the same thing they used to do before joining this course....

Guys...Please think multiple times before coming here for any post graduate course from a college....you get admission without any competition....you just go for IELTS and that's it....so if you can get something so easily then how good is it going to be....or what its worth would be.....

But at the end of the day its your decision....I can only advice.....

God of war

Aug 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So what is your advice for people who are willing to come to canada for studies? One should not opt for post-graduation course you mean? What should be the level of study which could help future studies to get a job after the course? Thanks
dks2323 said:
Hhhhmmmm...may be...you will get to learn the terms that being used in BA world...What all documents.....How to create the documents...what should be the content of these documents.....

But think about this...what after you are done with this course...you have no experience as you are a fresher...and this course is a no guarantee for a job....If you are lucky, you may get a junior BA job....

But most of the guys of my batch are doing the same thing they used to do before joining this course....

Guys...Please think multiple times before coming here for any post graduate course from a college....you get admission without any competition....you just go for IELTS and that's it....so if you can get something so easily then how good is it going to be....or what its worth would be.....

But at the end of the day its your decision....I can only advice.....

dks2323

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
God of war said:
So what is your advice for people who are willing to come to canada for studies? One should not opt for post-graduation course you mean? What should be the level of study which could help future studies to get a job after the course? Thanks
Go for Masters from a reputed university....There are many in Canada...or go to states...If you think states is expensive, try to get the scholarship...There are many good options in states too...I agree that getting H1b is all luck but you have 3 years to try your luck as you get 3 years of OPT (work permit) in states too...And now even Canadian PR is not so easy to get...

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
I am a new PR holder and have 13+ IT experience in Telecom in System Analysis.

I am looking out for a short diploma so that I may get the Canadian education for the namesake at least & then get into Job Field. Is George Brown a good option for it ?

dks2323

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canada11 said:
I am a new PR holder and have 13+ IT experience in Telecom in System Analysis.

I am looking out for a short diploma so that I may get the Canadian education for the namesake at least & then get into Job Field. Is George Brown a good option for it ?
Just for the name....yeah its not bad at all...

garyastudent

Sep 3, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dks2323 said:

The course will help you in terms of the Canadian Education to show on Resume, And in terms of the CO-op "It can be Paid/Non-Paid" depending on the situation, And GBC has Co-Op classes for all the students before the Co-Op term, also they will help you secure a co-op however majority of the Co-op they offered during my Co-Op term were non-Paid and I opted to get one on my own which was paid...

Cop-Op professors are very helpful, they will help you build a Resume according to the Canadian standards.....

Also, When it comes to a Real job which starts after the Program, It all depends where you did your Co-Op (It will be showcased on your resume as Work Ex) I know someone who landed in a Co-Op in CIBC from the same course, and now after the completion of the program got hired permanently in Downtown Corporate office.... Salary depends being a newcomer you should not concentrate on getting higher packages but to take up the job in your field with some major players, after a year or so when you apply somewhere else you will get a good package...

I did the same and getting the max package in batch....

Hope that helps.....

dks2323

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
garyastudent said:
The course will help you in terms of the Canadian Education to show on Resume, And in terms of the CO-op "It can be Paid/Non-Paid" depending on the situation, And GBC has Co-Op classes for all the students before the Co-Op term, also they will help you secure a co-op however majority of the Co-op they offered during my Co-Op term were non-Paid and I opted to get one on my own which was paid...

Cop-Op professors are very helpful, they will help you build a Resume according to the Canadian standards.....

Also, When it comes to a Real job which starts after the Program, It all depends where you did your Co-Op (It will be showcased on your resume as Work Ex) I know someone who landed in a Co-Op in CIBC from the same course, and now after the completion of the program got hired permanently in Downtown Corporate office.... Salary depends being a newcomer you should not concentrate on getting higher packages but to take up the job in your field with some major players, after a year or so when you apply somewhere else you will get a good package...

Hope that helps.....
Yes you are right....the college helps with everything they can...all that I want to convey is that DO NOT depend just on this course to get a job..do your homework before coming to Canada for these 1 year college diplomas....because you put a lot on stake when you leave your home country...
You should come with some experience to better your chances in getting a job....

And I know a LOT of guys who got the paid co-op and then continued with the companies full time...and these are big companies and banks....but they all had previous experience before joining this program....

And salaries do not depend on a newcomer...your salary may depend if you are a fresher in your field....A newcomer to Canada with good experience in his/her field must get a similar salary as any other person....

God of war

Aug 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So basically co-op is very helpful. btw how much salary one can expect after course as you said we can't expect to get good pay. and whats your salary range and after how many years of experience you are getting that much salary? Thanks
garyastudent said:

Hope that helps.....

nitinsha85

Star Member
Nov 21, 2016
dks2323 said:
Hi Guys....I am a current student of ISBA course....I joined it in September 2014.
I would love to help you all...here are some points to answer your questions:

1) Hows the course: I would say consider this course as a way to enter canadian market (and THAT IS IT) as you'll get open work permit after this course....do not make mistake that this course can get you a job....They teach about how to make documents (BRD, SRS, test plan, use cases, use case specs)....if you are working in IT industry then I expect that you alredy know abt these documents....you do some case studies and then make documents as a Business Analyst....

2) JOB: Getting a job depends on you and your luck....Guys with some good experience got the job but salary is not as expected...Most of them are doing another course in hope to get the 3 year work permit....you can get a good job if you have experience ( I am talking about atleast 5-6 years of experience)...expect the salary to be around 40-60K CAD depending on your experience....

3) CO OP: Getting coop should not be difficult...I am currently looking for coop....but I expect to get it...there is a reason behind it...companies save a lot of money in taxes by providing coop to students...but mostly they do not offer you full time after coop if you are international student....this is not the case always but mostly this happens....

4) Last Semester fees: If you get the coop then you dont have to pay the last semester fees and you just have to pay 500 CAD for the lat sem....

5) Study and part time work: You can easily work part time while studying....the course is not very demanding...you just have to be organized....but be ready to make pizzas in pizza hut or serve coffee in Tim Hortons...but most of the students do this so NO SHAME....its good if you can earn your pocket money your self.....

6) So is the course worth: Well as I already said that consider this course as just a way to enter Canadian Market....but you'll learn some terms and things that are asked in a BA interview for a job in Canada....

About Me: I have 8+ years of IT experince and arnd 6 years of BA experience....I was in USA for 5 years before coming to Canada...I took this course to enter Canada....

Hope this helps.....

Inbox me or ask your questions here....I'll try to answer.....

Best of Luck !!!
Hi,

I thought of asking you as I am applying for Business Analyst program in GBC.

So, i need to have some clarity before applying and if you don'd mind, I need your advice on that.

1) How apt is the course curriculum for BA field.
2) What is the course duration.
3) For what duration Work Permit will be awarded.
4) How are the BA job prospectus in Ontario province and what is the success rate of students getting placed after completing the course.
5) And final aim is to get the PR, so how relaxed are the PR norms for international students who had studied one year course in Ontario.

Also, I would really appreciate if you can advice me on other course related to BA which i can apply for in Canada.

Hoping to hear from you.