+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

G1 License within a week?

Sherenk

Star Member
Jun 25, 2016
Hi, planning to do soft landing for a week. Is it possible to get G2 license within that time frame?

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Depends on whether your foreign license is can be exchanged and the location...

Sherenk

Star Member
Jun 25, 2016
Depends on whether your foreign license is can be exchanged and the location...
No it cannot be exchanged. However I will be bringing an experience letter of more than 2 years. Also I will be applying somewhere in GTA.

My mistake, I am referring to G2 not G1.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
No it cannot be exchanged. However I will be bringing an experience letter of more than 2 years. Also I will be applying somewhere in GTA.

My mistake, I am referring to G2 not G1.
You can get a G2 licence, but it takes 4-6 weeks (or 2) for the licences to be mailed. You can only get a temporary paper licence at best during your stay.

It's possible to get G2, provided you can get a booking for a road test at a DriveTest centre during your stay. You'll get the temporary G1 licence when you pass the written test (walk-in only, no appointments), and you can book a G2 or full G road test the following day using the licence number.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
You can get a G2 licence, but it takes 4-6 weeks (or 2) for the licences to be mailed. You can only get a temporary paper licence at best during your stay.

It's possible to get G2, provided you can get a booking for a road test at a DriveTest centre during your stay. You'll get the temporary G1 licence when you pass the written test (walk-in only, no appointments), and you can book a G2 or full G road test the following day using the licence number.
I am in the same situation and it does not seem to be possible, as I was unable to book a G2 test through drivetest.ca using the temporary G1 license number. Maybe the actual license number is different from the temporary one? I will probably have to wait to receive the permanent license in my mail before being able to book the road test.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok so technically it is possible:
1. You will need G1 first.
2. You will also need statement about your driving history and your foreign local driving licence when applying for G1.
3. Once having temporary G1 in your hand (the green paper), you can try to get driving test appointment for G2 or full G.
But you cannot do it using the online application (reason being is that the expire date on your temporary driving licence will prevent you from booking).
4. But you can use either any Drive test center and book it in person or you can call and book it on the phone. (I did it that way)

But it is highly unlikely you will be able to do it. Because, usually everything in Ontario is booked out for next 35 to 60 days (I was booking around 2nd of August for 13 of September). So you will only go for tiny chance that somebody had to cancel his reservation.
Good luck

Reactions: Maganda

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Not that it's entirely relevant, but I know in Alberta they also take 1-2 weeks to confirm the authenticity of the license or certification you provide, before they allow you to challenge for a full license.i would suspect other provinces do the same.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not that it's entirely relevant, but I know in Alberta they also take 1-2 weeks to confirm the authenticity of the license or certification you provide, before they allow you to challenge for a full license.i would suspect other provinces do the same.
Not true for Ontario. I was answering to what he was asking (Ontario system). In that system, you have to provide your local driving licence and the proof of driving experience (I had official letter from my embassy) when applying for G1. You can apply with your COPR and passport in your hand (you do not need your PR card). The moment you pass G1 (which is walk in test on computer) you can apply for G2 test (if you have enough driving experience). My experience is very fresh (summer 2017).

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
The problem will be getting an appointment for the road test and the slots are almost always booked months in advance during summer. You might luck out though.

Maganda

Dec 14, 2017
Ok so technically it is possible:
1. You will need G1 first.
2. You will also need statement about your driving history and your foreign local driving licence when applying for G1.
3. Once having temporary G1 in your hand (the green paper), you can try to get driving test appointment for G2 or full G.
But you cannot do it using the online application (reason being is that the expire date on your temporary driving licence will prevent you from booking).
4. But you can use either any Drive test center and book it in person or you can call and book it on the phone. (I did it that way)

But it is highly unlikely you will be able to do it. Because, usually everything in Ontario is booked out for next 35 to 60 days (I was booking around 2nd of August for 13 of September). So you will only go for tiny chance that somebody had to cancel his reservation.
Good luck
Additional comment to not be able to book road test with temporary driving Licence: you still can do it, but you need to put “the real” expiry date in the form (not that is shown in temporary Licence). So for Ontario DL is good for 5 years, for example you passed written test on Feb 12, 2018 - so you will need to put expiry date Feb 12, 2023.
PS:couldn’t reach the on the phone due to high volume of calls, so after 6 or 7 attempts I gave up and I still had to go to DriveTest to make an appointment for road test as with my previous experience I need G full road test, and I wasn’t able to skip G2 online.

Last edited:

anujoshi

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
G1 is a written test. You go to the Drive Test Ontario centre and wait in line and write your test. I think it is 40 questions... 20 about road signs and 20 about laws. You get your result immediately after. Plan to spend few hours there and go early morning - lines are very long no matter what day you go. Make sure you check what proof and ID you need to take with you (I took my cousin recently and he didn't bring the right paper, and he was not allowed to write it... after 1.5 hrs waiting in line).

Khabz

Aug 9, 2016
Additional comment to not be able to book road test with temporary driving Licence: you still can do it, but you need to put “the real” expiry date in the form (not that is shown in temporary Licence). So for Ontario DL is good for 5 years, for example you passed written test on Feb 12, 2018 - so you will need to put expiry date Feb 12, 2023.
PS:couldn’t reach the on the phone due to high volume of calls, so after 6 or 7 attempts I gave up and I still had to go to DriveTest to make an appointment for road test as with my previous experience I need G full road test, and I wasn’t able to skip G2 online.
Dear Vensak,

Can you please clarify? After appearing for the written G1 test you applied directly for G test at the drivetest center? Meaning you were able to skip the G2 road test and directly appear for the last G test as you had 24months+experience? Thanks

Seema4334

Jul 24, 2017
Dear Vensak,

Can you please clarify? After appearing for the written G1 test you applied directly for G test at the drivetest center? Meaning you were able to skip the G2 road test and directly appear for the last G test as you had 24months+experience? Thanks
Yes you can skip g2 road test . If you got ur driving extract from back home. My husband got to skip he road test and give g test rightaway.It also depends on which drive centre you go to. For north york- my friend got driving extract on which she had 4 yrs of driving experience and it was not accepted.