+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Frustrated with 3 month waiting period and need some help

Menoth

Nov 20, 2012
Hello everyone,

It is with a faint sense of desperation that I turn here for some advice.

I'll be brief - my immigrant wife was diagnosed (on our wedding day, no doubt) with chronic kidney failure, caused by lupus. She requires dialysis three times a week. I sponsored her as my spouse and CIC approved her for immigration however one last and colossal obstacle has arisen: The three month waiting period.

I attempted to have the 3 month wait period waived by contacting the health minister, who didn't seem to think that the out of pocket cost per dialysis session (900-100 dollars each) was somehow financially devastating, and he declined my request.

I cannot find any insurance that would cover her for the three months, and I find myself at a stand still as to where to go next. All we can do now is have her stay in the Philippines while I cover her costs there (which are partially covered by her PhilHealth).

Does anyone have any good advice or information to assist me in securing something for three months until the healthcare here in BC kicks in? At this point, I can't say how much I'd appreciate it.

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm sorry to hear about your wife's situation.

The challenge you face is that insurance companies are in the business of making money. So the truth is that no one is going to sell you a policy where they know up front that the health care expenses your wife will accumulate will be more than the insurance premiums she pays.

Have you perhaps thought about settling in a province that doesn't have the three month waiting period? That would be one option. You would definitely need to remain there for a while (I'd recommend eight months to a year) before relocating to a different province to ensure the province doesn't come after you for abusing the health care system.

However if you think you could consider living/settling in a different province - that could be one solution to your problem.