+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Freelance experience and proof

sarasamaniac

Jan 22, 2015
Hello. I am gathering all the documentation needed to apply for the Skilled Federal Worker Visa program, along with my partner.
I have some doubts regarding proof of work experience.

I have always worked as an employee, so I can mail copies of my pay slips, and a separate consolidated history of medical and retirement contributions (already included on my pay slips too, actually). I understand that these official documents should be enough (the latter are provided by our taxes & contributions agencies).

However, my partner worked as an employee only for a short period of time and has since worked as a freelancer, so he pays himself his own taxes and contributions.

1) Is his experience valid to the effects of this Visa? How can we prove it besides reference letters? Are letters enough? We're both Software Engineers and freelancing is really common in IT, where I live.

2) Do we stand better chances if we apply together (as main and partner)? Or is it better if we apply separately?

Thanks in advance.

mastcanada

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
Hyderabad
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2014
Doc's Request.
CC charged on 23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Hi,
Freelancing is very common.However said that you need show that you are working 30 hours per week.
You need to show service record.like Odesk provides certificate of earnings. It shows complete earnings n your details.
I advise you to take summary of jobs handled and present it in the form of hardcopy.
I myself currently working as freelancer- system administrator thru odesk.
I provided certificate of earnings it shows our profile link,title,duration and earnings over the year.

If you need any more info you can pm me.

Regards

sarasamaniac said:
Hello. I am gathering all the documentation needed to apply for the Skilled Federal Worker Visa program, along with my partner.
I have some doubts regarding proof of work experience.

I have always worked as an employee, so I can mail copies of my pay slips, and a separate consolidated history of medical and retirement contributions (already included on my pay slips too, actually). I understand that these official documents should be enough (the latter are provided by our taxes & contributions agencies).

However, my partner worked as an employee only for a short period of time and has since worked as a freelancer, so he pays himself his own taxes and contributions.

1) Is his experience valid to the effects of this Visa? How can we prove it besides reference letters? Are letters enough? We're both Software Engineers and freelancing is really common in IT, where I live.

2) Do we stand better chances if we apply together (as main and partner)? Or is it better if we apply separately?

Thanks in advance.

sarasamaniac

Jan 22, 2015
Thanks for your reply.

My partner does not use any website to apply for freelance jobs.

As a matter of fact, where I live is not common to use those websites. We, instead, contact CONSULTING FIRMS directly and they provide us with clients. But there's no such thing as an official record.

Once clients have determined what they need we propose a fee, for example, say, 25 u$s/per hour and start working on projects.
After the work or deadline is complete, the client transfers the amount $ to our bank accounts and that's it.

The freelancer has to write their own "receipts" to bill for his services but this receipt usually only says the amount in $ and not the hours worked and does not list details. It's only a LEGAL requirement. The freelancer also pays for his own contributions to future retirement and medical insurance.

What we have:

- Records of contributions to future retirement and medical insurance
- Receipts with the name and address of the clients and the $ billed
- Bank statement showing $ tranfers
- Maybe reference letters?

I don't know what else we can provide. I can't find anyone from our country (Argentina) that can answer these questions! I understand that every case is different but different countries have different legal requirements related to work experience.

THANKS.

jigesh

Star Member
Feb 15, 2017
India
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
30-03-2019
Hi,
Freelancing is very common.However said that you need show that you are working 30 hours per week.
You need to show service record.like Odesk provides certificate of earnings. It shows complete earnings n your details.
I advise you to take summary of jobs handled and present it in the form of hardcopy.
I myself currently working as freelancer- system administrator thru odesk.
I provided certificate of earnings it shows our profile link,title,duration and earnings over the year.

If you need any more info you can pm me.

Regards
Hi

Its good to see your response. I have profile built with freelancer and have paypal transaction history of last 5 years.

Should i get reference letter from some of my clients?