+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Form B4 (Goods to Follow/Accompanying List): How to ???

nag1d

Feb 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Form B4
Goods to Follow List &/or Goods Accompanying List
How to Fill them...

Hi all,

This is in response to the numerous PMs received requesting a copy of my Form B4. As I did it on the system & there's no way to 'save' that, I remain handicapped to forward it. Thus, this thread.

Here's what I did; & how u could do it...

ASSUMPTIONS/PROLOGUE:
a) The form B4A is an extension of the form B4 [which is the main one to file]. Writing the B4A is a similarly daunting task, thus can be avoided. I didn't.
b) As the form B4 contains 'only' 8 rows to fill the goods/items, use only 8 groups of things. How? Explained later.

WHAT U SHOULD CARRY?
U should make 2 copies of the form B4. One for the 'Goods Accompanying' & one for the 'Goods to Follow'. Alongwith the attachments. What's that? Here u go...

STEP-1:
a) Group all similar items into one list & thus make 8 lists.
b) Type these groups in Excel Sheets* [separate for each group]. Title each Sheet. And a Page No.
c) Enlist the Columns as: Sl.No | Item Description | Qty | Value (CAD) |
d) Total the Value, of each Excel Sheet.
e) Take printouts of each Excel Sheet in A4 size paper [2 copies].

*Eg. 1.Electronics, 2.Jewelries, 3.Clothing & Personal Effects, 4.Books & DVDs, 5.Gadgets & Mobile Phones, 6.Cutlery & Utensils, 7.Home Decorations & Murals AND 8.Linens & Drapers. [the Title Heading can vary as per your choice & requirement]

STEP-2:
a) Place all jewelry in Groups* & click Pictures [Must, else they'll not be accepted].
b) Title each Sheet. And put a Page No.
c) Take printouts of each Jewelry Group in A4 size paper [2 copies].
d) Make an Excel Sheet, for the Summary of the Jewelry Sheets. And place a Value against each group.
e) Total the Excel Sheet Value, in the end.

*Eg. 1.Rings, 2.Bangles & Bracelets, 3.Chains & Necklaces, 4.Cummerbunds, 5.Diamond Sets, 6.Ear-Rings & Pendants, 7.Head-Bands & Chokers etc. (each in one group/sheet). [the Title Heading can vary as per your choice & requirement]

STEP-3: [Major Step]
a) Fill-out the form B4, as per the 8 Title Headings AND write the Total Value of each Excel Sheet.
b) Make a box [by hand] at the End of the 8 rows' Value Column. Write the Total Value* of the Goods.
c) For the Name field, write the PA's name.
d) For the Importer's Address, write the Canadian Address.
e) For the Country of Export, write your Home Country's Name.
f) For the Goods to Follow BOX [below the list rows], "Tick" it.
g) At Page-2 of the form B4, "Tick" the Newcomer BOX.
h) Bottom of the Page-2, Sign, Date [the day of Landing] & Location [write your Landing POE's name].

*U must write the Total Value of the entire goods, as that's needed by the CBSA to log on their system.

STEP-4:
a) Print-it out [on regular A4 sheets], both pages [1 & 2] separately.
b) Take 2 printouts [one for the CBSA & one for U, with their Stamp, Sign & Date].
c) Staple all the Excel Sheets & the Jewelry Sheets, into each form B4.

NOTE:
1. Do not forget to take 2 printouts of each form B4 and its attachments. One will be kept by them.
2. Do not forget to take pics of the Jewelry. Else, they'll not accept it
3. Do not forget to get it stamped on landing. Sometimes the BSO doesn't ask. It's our prerogative.

*In that case they'll ask u to get it by email & visit the airport the next day for stamping your B4. Though it can be done, but u get into unnecessary hassles, time & effort. And u just have 24 hrs to do so. Which is an avoidable tension. Isn't it?

WHERE TO FIND THE FORM?
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf

Hope that helped.
Qorax
Qorax,

Request your help with answers to these questions -

• You indicated in Step 3 - "g) At Page-2 of the form B4, "Tick" the Newcomer BOX.". However, I do not see this option on form B4. Form B4 is a 1-page form and the closest option I see is SETTLER (tariff item No. 9807.00.00). Is this what you were referring to?

• Are photographs needed only for Gold/Jewelery and not for any other items? I will be moving all my house hold goods from the US. Would you please confirm that I do not need to take photographs of other items like furniture, electronics (TV, Laptop, Gaming System etc), kids toys, clothing etc
  • Am I right in assuming that the Importers name and address would be my name and the temporary address on the PR form (my cousin's address)? Would country of origin and country of export, in my case be USA?

Thanks in advance.

nag1d

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
nag1d said:
Qorax,

Request your help with answers to these questions -

• You indicated in Step 3 - "g) At Page-2 of the form B4, "Tick" the Newcomer BOX.". However, I do not see this option on form B4. Form B4 is a 1-page form and the closest option I see is SETTLER (tariff item No. 9807.00.00). Is this what you were referring to?
  • Are photographs needed only for Gold/Jewelery and not for any other items? I will be moving all my house hold goods from the US. Would you please confirm that I do not need to take photographs of other items like furniture, electronics (TV, Laptop, Gaming System etc), kids toys, clothing etc
  • Am I right in assuming that the Importers name and address would be my name and the temporary address on the PR form (my cousin's address)? Would country of origin and country of export, in my case be USA?

Thanks in advance.

nag1d
1. Yes, that settler's box.
2. Photos only needed for jewelry & items of immense value (eg. Murals, Heirlooms etc.).
3. Yes, your name & your Canadian address.
4. Country of origin - if u know, else it'd be same as country of export (ie. Countey of your current residence).

Qorax

nag1d

Feb 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
1. Yes, that settler's box.
2. Photos only needed for jewelry & items of immense value (eg. Murals, Heirlooms etc.).
3. Yes, your name & your Canadian address.
4. Country of origin - if u know, else it'd be same as country of export (ie. Countey of your current residence).

Qorax
Thank you Sir for the prompt response.

phdmaker

Jan 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One of the greatest thread of this forum :)

Ice Cube

Dec 20, 2009
Thanks buddy. this was a big help.
Ice cube
qorax said:
Form B4
Goods to Follow List &/or Goods Accompanying List
How to Fill them...

Hi all,

This is in response to the numerous PMs received requesting a copy of my Form B4. As I did it on the system & there's no way to 'save' that, I remain handicapped to forward it. Thus, this thread.

Here's what I did; & how u could do it...

ASSUMPTIONS/PROLOGUE:
a) The form B4A is an extension of the form B4 [which is the main one to file]. Writing the B4A is a similarly daunting task, thus can be avoided. I didn't.
b) As the form B4 contains 'only' 8 rows to fill the goods/items, use only 8 groups of things. How? Explained later.

WHAT U SHOULD CARRY?
U should make 2 copies of the form B4. One for the 'Goods Accompanying' & one for the 'Goods to Follow'. Alongwith the attachments. What's that? Here u go...

STEP-1:
a) Group all similar items into one list & thus make 8 lists.
b) Type these groups in Excel Sheets* [separate for each group]. Title each Sheet. And a Page No.
c) Enlist the Columns as: Sl.No | Item Description | Qty | Value (CAD) |
d) Total the Value, of each Excel Sheet.
e) Take printouts of each Excel Sheet in A4 size paper [2 copies].

*Eg. 1.Electronics, 2.Jewelries, 3.Clothing & Personal Effects, 4.Books & DVDs, 5.Gadgets & Mobile Phones, 6.Cutlery & Utensils, 7.Home Decorations & Murals AND 8.Linens & Drapers. [the Title Heading can vary as per your choice & requirement]

STEP-2:
a) Place all jewelry in Groups* & click Pictures [Must, else they'll not be accepted].
b) Title each Sheet. And put a Page No.
c) Take printouts of each Jewelry Group in A4 size paper [2 copies].
d) Make an Excel Sheet, for the Summary of the Jewelry Sheets. And place a Value against each group.
e) Total the Excel Sheet Value, in the end.

*Eg. 1.Rings, 2.Bangles & Bracelets, 3.Chains & Necklaces, 4.Cummerbunds, 5.Diamond Sets, 6.Ear-Rings & Pendants, 7.Head-Bands & Chokers etc. (each in one group/sheet). [the Title Heading can vary as per your choice & requirement]

STEP-3: [Major Step]
a) Fill-out the form B4, as per the 8 Title Headings AND write the Total Value of each Excel Sheet.
b) Make a box [by hand] at the End of the 8 rows' Value Column. Write the Total Value* of the Goods.
c) For the Name field, write the PA's name.
d) For the Importer's Address, write the Canadian Address.
e) For the Country of Export, write your Home Country's Name.
f) For the Goods to Follow BOX [below the list rows], "Tick" it.
g) At Page-2 of the form B4, "Tick" the Newcomer BOX.
h) Bottom of the Page-2, Sign, Date [the day of Landing] & Location [write your Landing POE's name].

*U must write the Total Value of the entire goods, as that's needed by the CBSA to log on their system.

STEP-4:
a) Print-it out [on regular A4 sheets], both pages [1 & 2] separately.
b) Take 2 printouts [one for the CBSA & one for U, with their Stamp, Sign & Date].
c) Staple all the Excel Sheets & the Jewelry Sheets, into each form B4.

NOTE:
1. Do not forget to take 2 printouts of each form B4 and its attachments. One will be kept by them.
2. Do not forget to take pics of the Jewelry. Else, they'll not accept it
3. Do not forget to get it stamped on landing. Sometimes the BSO doesn't ask. It's our prerogative.

*In that case they'll ask u to get it by email & visit the airport the next day for stamping your B4. Though it can be done, but u get into unnecessary hassles, time & effort. And u just have 24 hrs to do so. Which is an avoidable tension. Isn't it?

WHERE TO FIND THE FORM?
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf

Hope that helped.
Qorax

topin30

Dec 17, 2010
Hi Qorax Thank you for the clear explanation on the B4. In the case of personal belongings, household items etc, do we need to detail each and every item ie. 4 pairs of jeans, 10 sets of crystal glasses, etc

thank you in advance fo clarification on this step.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
topin30 said:
Hi Qorax Thank you for the clear explanation on the B4. In the case of personal belongings, household items etc, do we need to detail each and every item ie. 4 pairs of jeans, 10 sets of crystal glasses, etc

thank you in advance fo clarification on this step.
No. Just the gross description would do.

Qorax

nanji

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Kuala lumpur
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Qorax,

Thank you for such a great thread. Every time I visit this forum I feel like giving a +1 on the rating for you. ;)

I landed in September 2010 and had my B4 (GTF) etc. stamped with photos & stuff. All went extremely smoothly and I returned back to my home country after one month in Toronto. I have received my PR card and SIN already. Now I will be returning to Canada in the next few months. On the B4 form (GTF), I had put country of origin as "A" and country of export as "B".

A = country where I live and from where I got my immigration processed.
B = country of my citizenship

Could you tell me the significance of the country of origin / country of export on the B4 form for Goods to Follow? Would I be questioned (I mean pay duty) if some items on my GTF arrive (via sea shipment) in Canada from country "C" and the rest arrive from country "B"as mentioned on the B4 Form? Please give your thoughts.

Thanks
Nanji

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
nanji said:
Hi Qorax,

Thank you for such a great thread. Every time I visit this forum I feel like giving a +1 on the rating for you. ;)

I landed in September 2010 and had my B4 (GTF) etc. stamped with photos & stuff. All went extremely smoothly and I returned back to my home country after one month in Toronto. I have received my PR card and SIN already. Now I will be returning to Canada in the next few months. On the B4 form (GTF), I had put country of origin as "A" and country of export as "B".

A = country where I live and from where I got my immigration processed.
B = country of my citizenship

Could you tell me the significance of the country of origin / country of export on the B4 form for Goods to Follow? Would I be questioned (I mean pay duty) if some items on my GTF arrive (via sea shipment) in Canada from country "C" and the rest arrive from country "B"as mentioned on the B4 Form? Please give your thoughts.

Thanks
Nanji
No.
No issues till the time all the goods arriving at Canada is mentioned in the GTF List.

Qorax

topin30

Dec 17, 2010
Hi Qorax

Hopefully my last question - do we have to give model nos and or serial numbers for both electronic items and also personal gadgets like cameras, phones etc? what about household gadgets like a masterchef?

Thanks Mo :D

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
topin30 said:
Hi Qorax

Hopefully my last question - do we have to give model nos and or serial numbers for both electronic items and also personal gadgets like cameras, phones etc? what about household gadgets like a masterchef?

Thanks Mo :D
Model "Name" is required -- but Model "Serial Nos." (which r written in the back, or underneath) r not.

Example:
Harman Kardon Home Cinema System - HS300ME ................ REQUIRED
Model Serial No.: WX146347921SE121W2009 ..................... NOT REQUIRED

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
sunrise11 said:
Dear Qorax,

First off, thank you very much for setting up very helpful and informative threads in this forum. I hope you will be happy and successful and all your wishes come true in your new homeland.

I have a question which is not clear to me, although I have gone through quite a number of posts on that; Money that we bering in and the tax we have to pay.

In one post fro example you have mentioned;
“There r no taxes, levies or duties for bringing-in monies anytime in Canada. Be free to indulge.”

And in another post;
“Property: U don't need to 'declare' it - if u don't want to. Remember, here in Canada, Global Income is TAXED.”
Or
“If u aren't bringing the funds into the country - u may not report anything to CRA. But, if u do - then u r required to report it in your Annual Tax Returns, as "overseas income". U r not 'legally required to declare property' - but only the 'funds' those enter Canada. There is thus, a catch-22 situation -- if the funds enter - u would have to show its source as well!”

We are planning to land in March and we will be waiting till we get our PRC's. After that my husband will go back to home country since he doesn't want to quit his job while I should be trying to pass a number of exams to get registered and land a job afterwards. I want to know if he sends us money during the time I am studying, do we have to pay tax on this money? And how much that tax would be if he is going to transfer like 3000CAD's each month? (I am asking because he already pays tax on his income in our country.)

And what if if we bring in some 80,000 CAD's when landing and use it gradually. Do we still have to pay tax on the money itself or tax goes to the interest bank is giving us?
In general, what money that you bring in is considered as overseas income and what money we bring in is not taxable?

And my other query is about things to follow; Can we declare on the B4 that we are planning to bring in some items -likeafter two years when my hubby is joining- but change our mind and never bring them?

Thank you very much for your help.
Best regards!
Tax on 'landing funds
Note once again:
What u bring-in here is NON-TAXABLE. Any amount of fund/s... anytime... whether in one go, or in couple of instalments.
But, what u have in the bank a/c [here] will accrue some interest - ONLY that interest component is Taxable.
If the a/c balances r going to be heavy - one should do some 'intelligent investments' - to save some tax. There r many products available.
But, if u have monies coming-in regularly -- it'd amount to 'running overseas income' -- this u have to declare [in T4], which would then be Taxed!
Your $3000/PM would fall in that bracket!

Goods List/s - B4
The smart move is to 'list' anything & everything that u have in your home.
Whether u plan to bring-it into Canada now, or later [anytime], or never [u never know - u may change your mind] -- LIST IT.
'Lisitng' helps u in bringing-them-in w/out duty -- as long later as u want to. No timelimits exist.
Whether u'd bring-in some of them or not, is immaterial, ie. if u do not bring-in something - no questions asked.

Qorax

Kanamen

Champion Member
Oct 20, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Tax on 'landing funds
Note once again:
What u bring-in here is NON-TAXABLE. Any amount of fund/s... anytime... whether in one go, or in couple of instalments.
But, what u have in the bank a/c [here] will accrue some interest - ONLY that interest component is Taxable.
If the a/c balances r going to be heavy - one should do some 'intelligent investments' - to save some tax. There r many products available.
But, if u have monies coming-in regularly -- it'd amount to 'running overseas income' -- this u have to declare [in T4], which would then be Taxed!
Your $3000/PM would fall in that bracket!

Goods List/s - B4
The smart move is to 'list' anything & everything that u have in your home.
Whether u plan to bring-it into Canada now, or later [anytime], or never [u never know - u may change your mind] -- LIST IT.
'Lisitng' helps u in bringing-them-in w/out duty -- as long later as u want to. No timelimits exist.
Whether u'd bring-in some of them or not, is immaterial, ie. if u do not bring-in something - no questions asked.

Qorax
YOU ARE WORKING SO HARD FOR MEMBERS ,GOD BLESS YOU SIR

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
Qorax, a friend of mine has a scholarship from Japan (non-taxable in Japan) while living in Canada. The money is being deposited into her Japanese account and spent using her Japanese credit card in Canada. Will that be taxable in Canada?

Thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
wpc71 said:
Qorax, a friend of mine has a scholarship from Japan (non-taxable in Japan) while living in Canada. The money is being deposited into her Japanese account and spent using her Japanese credit card in Canada. Will that be taxable in Canada?

Thanks
Bro, I'm not sure of that -- however, I do not think it could be taxable.
Qorax