Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
I am a post-graduate worker from Ontario, Canada with an Indian passport and I just received my COPR/passport in mail yesterday and flagpoled at the US border to apply for the PR card.

However, I am going on a 2-month vacation to India next month and am afraid I won't received my PR card before I leave. I'm aware I can apply for a PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document) from India as an alternative, but have a few queries:

1) Could I be refused a PRTD if I don't have a health card or health insurance? I read on the forum that someone was denied a PRTD because they didn't have a Health Card or something?

2) I stay very close to the US border so if I fly to the US and then cross the border in a taxi, would I still need a PRTD? Could the airline, CBSA or US immigration give me a hard time?

3) What are the chances of being denied a PRTD? Is it better to fly to the US first and maybe avoid the PRTD altogether?

4) Most importantly, what happens if the PR card is mailed and nobody is at my apt to sign it? Will it be returned?

Thank you so much!

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
I just realized my PGWP visa is still valid till 2018 end in my passport. Do I still need a TD???

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
PGWP would have been cancelled when you landed.

Option 2 should be fine (As long as you have a US visa). Land border agents will admit you based on COPR no need for PRTD.

Airline companies do not have the ability to check COPR validity. That is why they need visa, PRTD or PR card.

This was told by a border agent when I landed.

Reactions: wstrn24

donnanne

Jun 10, 2017
Unfortunately, I can guarantee you won't have your PR card before you leave as they are currently taking 61 days to process first time PR cards. However you do still have legitimate options.

2) I stay very close to the US border so if I fly to the US and then cross the border in a taxi, would I still need a PRTD? Could the airline, CBSA or US immigration give me a hard time?

If you cross into the US you don't need a taxi. You can cross the pedestrian bridge at the Rainbow bridge at Niagra Falls, turn around and come back to Canada. If you're travelling back into Canada via ANY commercial carrier (plane, bus, boat, train) you need a valid passport plus on of the following: PR card, PRTD or an ETA if you hold a visa exempt passport, which you don't.

3) What are the chances of being denied a PRTD? Is it better to fly to the US first and maybe avoid the PRTD altogether?
PRTD takes time and might impinge on your enjoying your vacation having to go to a consulate etc. It might be best to change your return flight to Buffalo and cross into Canada via Niagra Falls.

4) Most importantly, what happens if the PR card is mailed and nobody is at my apt to sign it? Will it be returned?

PR card is sent by regular mail so no one will have to sign for it.
I suggest adding your case for tracking your PR card and the timeline for others' cards here: https://myimmitracker.com/en/ca/trackers/consolidated-pr-card-tracker

Good luck!