+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First time tax filer: 3 months and counting still no tax refund. Help

pussmercs

Feb 6, 2016
Hello guys,

My parents and I are new immigrants last June 2015. We filed our tax (first time tax filer) last April 21, 2016 by paper return because we were told that for first time tax filers, we have to submit it by mail. It`s been three months already and we haven't received our tax return yet. We have been calling CRA and they kept on telling us to wait for 16 weeks if it`s our first time filing our taxes.

I was just wondering why it takes so long for them to respond and get our taxes back? through what process do they do that makes it so long? I`m quite worried because we have been waiting for a long time.

Your answers are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

paras1991

Jun 26, 2015
Mississauga, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2015
Doc's Request.
RCMP -23 Sep, submitted-23 Sep 2015
AOR Received.
20-8-2015
Med's Done....
29 Aug-Passed
Passport Req..
07 jan 2016
LANDED..........
30 jan 2016
You can Efile, even if you are first timer.However a first timer can't net file. Paper filings take long.. the only thing u need to make sure is that they have your return and it is in process... Once the 16 weeks is over, that's the time when you can file a service complain.

pussmercs

Feb 6, 2016
paras1991 said:
You can Efile, even if you are first timer.However a first timer can't net file. Paper filings take long.. the only thing u need to make sure is that they have your return and it is in process... Once the 16 weeks is over, that's the time when you can file a service complain.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I call them every week and they said that they don`t have my name on their profile yet. Does that mean they haven't processed my return yet?

paras1991

Jun 26, 2015
Mississauga, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
20-8-2015
Med's Done....
29 Aug-Passed
Passport Req..
07 jan 2016
LANDED..........
30 jan 2016
they haven't...that's y they don't have info....do you have a proof of mailing?

pussmercs

Feb 6, 2016
paras1991 said:
they haven't...that's y they don't have info....do you have a proof of mailing?
Yes. I have a receipt of me and my parent's mail and the tracking number saying that it was delivered and received. It's weird because someone I know who submitted her tax return just 1 week ahead of us with the same address as ours got her NOA around early June. She also filed by paper and she is also a first time tax filer.

In the event that in after another month they still haven't processed and saw our tax returns, we can always file a new one right? can we do it online this time?

thank you thank you so much for answering. you`re keeping me sane with all the questions that worries me. :)

paras1991

Jun 26, 2015
Mississauga, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
20-8-2015
Med's Done....
29 Aug-Passed
Passport Req..
07 jan 2016
LANDED..........
30 jan 2016
no, you cant file it again as they already have your tax return.... I would suggest to call them again, if the processing time has already passed(which is 4-6 weeks)

The agent can make a note on your file and they can process it faster...

FYI-You can efile if you are first time filer...however you can't net file.... I have efiled for lot of my clients who were the first time filer...

pussmercs

Feb 6, 2016
Hello guys!

Finally got my tax refund back after 18 weeks (first time tax filer through paper return).

For people out there who has the same problem as me, I guess sending a letter to the international tax centre for a follow-up about my tax return helped a lot :D

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Just to add to this thread, first time filer can do federal taxes online too. But they cannot do some provincial taxes online for the first time.

This is not an issue since in most provinces like Ontario, BC, Alberta etc. usually taxes are combined into one submission and all you deal with is CRA.

But above is not the case for example in provinces like Quebec.

You have to file both taxes separately. And the Provincial filing with Revenu Quebec for the first time has to be on paper.

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
pussmercs said:
Hello guys!

Finally got my tax refund back after 18 weeks (first time tax filer through paper return).

For people out there who has the same problem as me, I guess sending a letter to the international tax centre for a follow-up about my tax return helped a lot :D
Just to add further connect your Bank Account and Register online with CRA so you can follow every thing online. Your Child Benefits / NOA etc. etc.

Good Luck

S. Badar

Suri88

Apr 3, 2017
Hello guys!

Hi,

I am in same situation. Can you please help me on this.

what I have to mention in letter? can you please share if you have any?