NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Clayton Park and and Dartmouth about the same as far as neighbourhoods concerned. Depends where you work. Dartmouth you have to cross the bridge (which costs money) to get to the city, Clayton Park not. Both have decent public transport and schools as far as I know.

I agree kijiji is prob better. also try airbnb for temp accommodation to start.

I love living in Halifax. Great city. A bit small if you are used to a big city, but otherwise nice. Lifestyle good. People friendly.

http://www.isans.ca/ for immigrant services. Very helpful.

Good luck

Jun 10, 2016
Clayton Park and and Dartmouth about the same as far as neighbourhoods concerned. Depends where you work. Dartmouth you have to cross the bridge (which costs money) to get to the city, Clayton Park not. Both have decent public transport and schools as far as I know.

I agree kijiji is prob better. also try airbnb for temp accommodation to start.

I love living in Halifax. Great city. A bit small if you are used to a big city, but otherwise nice. Lifestyle good. People friendly.

http://www.isans.ca/ for immigrant services. Very helpful.

Good luck
Thank you

Jun 10, 2016
Please do not use craigslist. There have been so many horror stories.

Try www.kijiji.ca and always meet in a public place first (e.g. Tim Hortons, Starbucks). If you have to go see the house/apartment the person is renting out, make sure you go with a friend. Never go alone. Be sure to read the lease before signing so that you know your rights and responsibilities as a tenant. You can google, "Nova Scotia Residential Tenancy Act" for more information.

If you want a cheap option just for the first few days or weeks, you can search "YCMA on spring garden road - Halifax" or "International Hosteling on Barrington Street - Halifax".

I would avoid living in areas like Gottingen Street, Spryfield for safety reasons. You can find a nice place with affordable rent in the North end area(e.g. Quinpool Road, Robie Street, Oxford Street, etc); in the West End area (e.g. fairview, Clayton ParK, Bedford). These areas are on good bus routes and you can always call 902-490-4000 at anytime and ask the call centre agents which bus you need to take to go wherever. :D

There are a couple of agencies that help immigrants in addition to the one Singh listed like: ADAM, YMCA(has immigrant settlement programs, especially for families), Greater Halifax Partnership(can help with job leads).

Halifax is a beautiful city, lots to see(water, beaches, etc) and ofcourse, unpredictable weather at times (lol) but people are friendly. There is a Public Garden downtown, the Halifax Harbour, Immigration museum(at Pier 21), and many more historic sites. There is also a local farmers market every saturday starting at 7am(if you like fresh produce).

Welcome to Halifax and hope you enjoy your stay.
Please narrate your experience with craigslist. I will like to know how credible they are?

patel.jeetesh

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
03-02-2017
I am looking forward to land in Halifax sometime in July. How can I rent house from abroad? or Is it feasible to rent house from abroad?
Have u find apartment on rent?
Have u moved to Halifax?
I m planning to move in first week of Aug-17...

MWIN

Star Member
Aug 12, 2017
Sorry to hijack this thread for a second: does anyone here have idea how much rental of a small office in Halifax costs per month or per year, please? I intend to set up small trading company in Halifax, starting with 2 seats and grow to 3-4 seats in couple of years. What is minimum budget I should have for office operation? Your inputs are highly appreciated.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Sorry to hijack this thread for a second: does anyone here have idea how much rental of a small office in Halifax costs per month or per year, please? I intend to set up small trading company in Halifax, starting with 2 seats and grow to 3-4 seats in couple of years. What is minimum budget I should have for office operation? Your inputs are highly appreciated.
You can expect to pay anywhere between $5 - $20/ square foot per year (payable monthly). (1 square meter is approximately 10 square feet for easy conversion) There are also some fully furnished options available. perhaps have a look at Instant office http://www.instantoffices.com/en/ca/office-space/halifax?source=googleCanada+-+Office+Rental_Halifax_+office +rental +halifax&gclid=CjwKEAjwu7LOBRDZ_MOHmpW6kW8SJABC19sYFlSUiGFHbEAq0TsevsmFm0krEkLWvf7mJ5cdRHlsUhoC7IDw_wcB

Depending on your circumstances the second option may prove easier, though more expensive.

Also are you planning to receive clients or have large storage and transport vehicles in and out? If not, you may be able to operate your business from you home. There are some restrictions but for the most part not too complicated and unless you prove to be disruptive in your neighbourhood you are not likely to run into trouble. I work from home and it saves a lot of time and money.

Reactions: MWIN

MWIN

Star Member
Aug 12, 2017
You can expect to pay anywhere between $5 - $20/ square foot per year (payable monthly). (1 square meter is approximately 10 square feet for easy conversion) There are also some fully furnished options available. perhaps have a look at Instant office http://www.instantoffices.com/en/ca/office-space/halifax?source=googleCanada+-+Office+Rental_Halifax_+office +rental +halifax&gclid=CjwKEAjwu7LOBRDZ_MOHmpW6kW8SJABC19sYFlSUiGFHbEAq0TsevsmFm0krEkLWvf7mJ5cdRHlsUhoC7IDw_wcB

Depending on your circumstances the second option may prove easier, though more expensive.

Also are you planning to receive clients or have large storage and transport vehicles in and out? If not, you may be able to operate your business from you home. There are some restrictions but for the most part not too complicated and unless you prove to be disruptive in your neighbourhood you are not likely to run into trouble. I work from home and it saves a lot of time and money.
Thanks a lot for your info. I'd love to consider running my business from home. Do you know where I can check regulations and restrictions on running business from home, please?

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Thanks a lot for your info. I'd love to consider running my business from home. Do you know where I can check regulations and restrictions on running business from home, please?
This is governed by Local municipal bylaws for Halifax (HRM). https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/legislation-by-laws?category=124
You can have a look at "zoning permissible use" rules. Search for that on the above website and you will find several articles and documents that describe this in some detail.

Reactions: Catpaws14