+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First Landing after COPR, Travel to Toronto OK through Montreal,Quebec?

GallyW

Sep 10, 2017
India
Hello all!
This is my first post! Although I just now signed up, this forum has been of great help through every step for my FSW application which I submitted and received COPR last week! thank you all :)

I am planning to move to Canada soon and booked the cheapest available ticket this morning to Toronto via. Montreal. Unfortunately, Qatar Airways does not seem to offer any alternative routes to Toronto and I found out this morning after booking the ticket about the potential problems of landing in Montreal first. Me (PA) and my wife are planning to settle in Toronto and have mentioned same destination on our COPR.

So my question to all you good fellows is, will I be okay if I still land in Montreal first and continue on to my journey toward Toronto (connecting flight is in 2hr 40 mins)? or must I change my ticket (which is going to be very expensive)?

Thanks in advance!

(P.S. I know everyone is busy and no one is obligated to answer my question quickly but since I have my cheapest ticket booked on hold for next 12 hours, any replies are greatly appreciated!)

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Wow! Wonder what do I have to do to get at least 1 reply to a genuine question!!
People are busy, and do this to help... not out of an obligation. If you want immediate answers, there might be a lawyer/consultant willing to take $$$ to give answer.

I'd say 2:40 is not sufficient for landing, but there is no way to be sure. I imagine it's possible, but a bit of a delay on incoming flight, any issues with landing, long lines, etc... and you miss the connection.

GallyW

Sep 10, 2017
India
People are busy, and do this to help... not out of an obligation. If you want immediate answers, there might be a lawyer/consultant willing to take $$$ to give answer.

I'd say 2:40 is not sufficient for landing, but there is no way to be sure. I imagine it's possible, but a bit of a delay on incoming flight, any issues with landing, long lines, etc... and you miss the connection.
Thank you for your kind response. If you would please read my first post all the way through I am not forcing anyone to answer my question quickly.
My question though is not regarding the time needed for completing landing procedure, but my concern being is "landing" in Montreal even allowed? I have scoured through this website and came across same issue several times but none of the OP have come back to mention if anyone had trouble landing at Montreal while their actual destination was in another province, especially since we don't have Quebec's certificate of residence.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Sure as Montreal is your first port of entry into Canada you can complete landing formalities there, in fact you would have no choice anyway. Plus assume you will have an onward ticket to Toronto to show if asked.

Whether 2 hrs 40 is long enough impossible to predict as depends how busy CBSA are with international arrivals at the time you arrive given you have to clear both immigration and customs with your luggage in Montreal before transferring to the domestic flight.

GallyW

Sep 10, 2017
India
Sure as Montreal is your first port of entry into Canada you can complete landing formalities there, in fact you would have no choice anyway. Plus assume you will have an onward ticket to Toronto to show if asked.

Whether 2 hrs 40 is long enough impossible to predict as depends how busy CBSA are with international arrivals at the time you arrive given you have to clear both immigration and customs with your luggage in Montreal before transferring to the domestic flight.
h

Thank You for your response! I ended up changing my ticket to direct flight to Toronto. I just wish someone who has experience with such landing would come out and solve the mystery once and for all, for future reference of new PR.

Reactions: ashk