+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finding Work - Why is it so hard!

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I understand they need to upgrade but this means the Immigration system is flawed because they get points for education and work experience to come here in the first place. So when they look for work they are asked for Canadian experience and when they present their certifications and education (for which they got points for) they are asked to update to Canadian certifications .....hmmmmm .....is there something wrong here or is it just me

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newtone said:
.....hmmmmm .....is there something wrong here or is it just me
There is a total disconnect between immigration and the real world in Canada - you are not wrong or alone in your thoughts :D

patiently_waiting

Nov 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 22, 2010
AOR Received.
November 26, 2010
File Transfer...
November 1, 2010
Med's Done....
July 13, 2010
Passport Req..
February 14, 2011
You will find that Canada is not the only country in which immigrants face these challenges. My friend is a registered nurse and she had worked as a registered nurse in a hospital in Canada (St. Michaels in Toronto) for 5 years however has to sit exams to practice in the US and Australia to work in those countries. Every country has different standards and if the program which you took your education in your home country is ont recognised or affiliated with schools in other countries you need to upgrade your skills to match their qualifications in order to find work in your field.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
patiently_waiting said:
You will find that Canada is not the only country in which immigrants face these challenges. My friend is a registered nurse and she had worked as a registered nurse in a hospital in Canada (St. Michaels in Toronto) for 5 years however has to sit exams to practice in the US and Australia to work in those countries. Every country has different standards and if the program which you took your education in your home country is ont recognised or affiliated with schools in other countries you need to upgrade your skills to match their qualifications in order to find work in your field.
Very true.

The sad thing is that many immigrants don't see (or want to see) the realities of Canada, they have a "rose tinted" view.
Learn about the realities, don't just dream a dream.
Forewarned is forearmed.

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
WAIVED!!!! :)
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
Baloo said:
Very true.

The sad thing is that many immigrants don't see (or want to see) the realities of Canada, they have a "rose tinted" view.
Learn about the realities, don't just dream a dream.
Forewarned is forearmed.
I agree with Baloo and also you have to look at where you're applying for a job. If you're applying in a large city with tons of people of course the competition is going to be worse when it comes to competing for work. Canadian companies are going to look at people who already have experience in Canada over those who have no experience in the country already. Also I think some people need to do more research before they land in Canada. I wanted to work in Canada as a pharmacy tech since I'm certified as one in the States already, but with research I realised I'd need more training to do so and to pass other exams first. So I decided to go and get a work permit and just transfer under the company I work for now and get some experience in some way before going back to school. That took planning, something I think some people fail to do when it comes to living in Canada long term.

So maybe people need to do more research before they move. Check to see if they need extra training to work in their field before moving, check to see how the job market is in their field for immigrants, and see where careers in their field are the highest in demand and plan their move with those factors in mind.

patiently_waiting

Nov 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 22, 2010
AOR Received.
November 26, 2010
File Transfer...
November 1, 2010
Med's Done....
July 13, 2010
Passport Req..
February 14, 2011
Absolutely agree with both of you.

David_TVO

Star Member
Jan 29, 2011
I want to thank everyone who has participated in this conversation and I hope you can keep it going. To let you know, we have posted this question to Facebook,Twitter, and other immigration forums. It has started an online discussion about immigration issues in Canada.

We have put some of the online comments on our blog. It is our hope that our viewers will see the issues that matter most to New Canadians, and understand the invaluable service immigration forums provide to those who are choosing Canada as their new home.

To see a sample of the online discussion, you can visit:

Short Link:
http://bit.ly/fZRNQY

Direct Link:
http://www.tvo.org/cfmx/tvoorg/theagenda/index.cfm?page_id=3&action=blog&subaction=viewpost&blog_id=323&post_id=14228

The Agenda with Steve Paikin Home page
http://www.tvo.org/cfmx/tvoorg/theagenda/

Thanks

Farrukh Ahmed

Sep 21, 2013
I think upgrading of education will not work if most of us will do it. Actually Canada does not have so many jobs to absorb the number of people given the immigration on point system. This is the main reason employer is so much demanding. For each vacancy they have hundreds of candidate so the top most in skills or networking is selected although many of others are fairly good. If you look into a labour job posting, the employer asks for a guy who has the skills of a doctor, an engineer and few other professions at the same time. Canadian government knows this and is continuously making the things harder for new immigrants. I have heard from an engineer who landed in 94, he was just walked in to the Canadian Council for Professional Engineers, submitted the photocopy of his back home engineering degree and got the PE licence in 2 days without any course, exam or interview. Now it there is a long list of courses, exams, training and interviews, tasks to qualify for this. Canadian government wants the highly qualified labour so they played the immigration game. Also the professionals who are reasonably well paid back home, when come to Canada, bring good amount of money with them and afterwards to make expensive living here. This is Canadian government business. Many of my friends PHD in Engineering from top universities of UK and USA are doing 10$ labour jobs. Canadian government should tell about the small job market to all the applicants so they could know before coming to Canada that they will have to do the small and labour jobs. I am sure, 99% will not come to Canada.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Farrukh Ahmed said:
I think upgrading of education will not work if most of us will do it. Actually Canada does not have so many jobs to absorb the number of people given the immigration on point system. This is the main reason employer is so much demanding. For each vacancy they have hundreds of candidate so the top most in skills or networking is selected although many of others are fairly good. If you look into a labour job posting, the employer asks for a guy who has the skills of a doctor, an engineer and few other professions at the same time. Canadian government knows this and is continuously making the things harder for new immigrants. I have heard from an engineer who landed in 94, he was just walked in to the Canadian Council for Professional Engineers, submitted the photocopy of his back home engineering degree and got the PE licence in 2 days without any course, exam or interview. Now it there is a long list of courses, exams, training and interviews, tasks to qualify for this. Canadian government wants the highly qualified labour so they played the immigration game. Also the professionals who are reasonably well paid back home, when come to Canada, bring good amount of money with them and afterwards to make expensive living here. This is Canadian government business. Many of my friends PHD in Engineering from top universities of UK and USA are doing 10$ labour jobs. Canadian government should tell about the small job market to all the applicants so they could know before coming to Canada that they will have to do the small and labour jobs. I am sure, 99% will not come to Canada.
First of all, The job market is not controlled or governed by the government, why do candidates put the blame on the government.
Secondly, whether one gets accredited or qualified for a P Eng or any other qualification that is to be accredited in Canada, is all dependent on the candidate's educational background and experience in his home country, and where the educational qualification is attained and where his experiences are from. Canada employers, to be frank are very fussy and particular about educational qualification and especially where or which country it is from, in the engineering field, they are only interested in US or Canadian or countries where the engineering board of Canada has pact with and has similar accreditation, say, example, in Asia, only Hong Kong, Singapore etc engineering degrees are accreditated and can easily get the P Eng. At the same time, accreditation by the respective P Eng boards such as APEGG or any other province engineering boards all have their own requirements but generally are all similar.
Thirdly, if one wants to be an engineer here or a technical person in Canada, if you do not have a North America qualification, I would strongly suggest you to get a Canadian engineering degree or a US one to be able to register as P Eng after becoming a EIT or else, just dont complain and good luck to one getting a true engineering job.

I completely have to disagree with you that obtaining a Canadian education will not work if you plan to be a technical or law or doctor here cause I am the true example of having already a US degree, 2 masters from Australia and HK and yet I have got my Canadian engineering qualification and then I am already hired in a top Oil company here in Canada and mind you, its a change of career for me as well!

So if anyone wants to really land a job and a good career in Canada, you have to work hard, put in the time and investment and you will succeed eventually given the right strategy and hard work.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
Why is finding work in Canada so hard?

LOL.

Because Canada is a big lie, a big fraud, a big time con artist.

Read this MacLean's article: Canada-Land of Misfortune

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/04/24/land-of-misfortune/

There are many honest responses to this article in the comments section and I think this one below hits the nail on the head:

Immigration to Canada is a Canadian industry and $$$ is the main objective. Here is how it works.

(1) Canada targets middle class in various countries. While it is true that no body is using a gun to force these immigrants to come, immigrants are lured by clean air, free education, high quality of living etc. to come to Canada.

(2) Since these immigrants are mostly professionals under Federal Skill Worker Programs, they usually have some means to bring to Canada. After they come, they may purchase house, rent an apartment, buy a car etc. and these represent injection into the economy.

(3) When immigrants settle down and start to look for a job, the "Canadian experience" barrier is erected and the major objective is to shut out professional immigrants from the job market.

(4) Now these immigrants faced a dilemma: go back to home country or stay in Canada. If they stay, they need to look for jobs and these manual and labor intensive jobs are waiting for them. Some immigrants stayed forever in these so-called survival jobs and others may choose to go back after obtaining their citizenship.
And I like this one too:
Canada is a sh*t country - worst in the world! Freaking frozen tundra wasteland of a country filled with uneducated rednecks with a crumbling economy - truly a frozen wasteland!! A place to avoided at all costs!!
And this one too. LOL

stupid Canadians! years ago I migrated to that foolish nation. couldn't find a job due to the stupid requirement of "Canadian work experience". Got fed up and moved to the US. Now I am an American citizen doing very well. If I had continued in Canada, I would be living below poverty level. If I see a Canadian, I won't hesitate to spit on him/her. Canadians are a petty minded as well as small minded; moreover these idiots are one of the most laziest people anywhere in the world. Canada is nothing more than America's whorehouse.
LOL. Oh yeah!

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
Folks

Canada is good Country if you can work hard and really hard (for some of us not very hard) and find a job but for some of us even worked hard but still no job then Canada can be considered as bad place to live.
But sure, Canada has more opportunities for someone who can change is ways and use mind to achieve a future. Making a living in Canada is still not a problem if one can use mind power but on other hand very difficult if one wants to go blindly search a job-unless he has a good luck.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
I also like this concise response to the first comment I quoted above. This pretty much sums up Canadian immigration in one sentence.

Superb - that is it.
Canada's way of scamming immigrants of their life savings, business investments,

muscattocanada

Star Member
May 14, 2011
muscat
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
Mar 2010
AOR Received.
APR 2010... 2nd AOR Aug 2010
File Transfer...
july 2010
Med's Request
15th Feb 2012
Med's Done....
5th may 2012
Interview........
wavied
Passport Req..
Dec 18th 2012
VISA ISSUED...
feb 23rd 2013
I am a PR and still outside Canada.... just wanted to know if the situation has changed due to the government reducing the number of PR applications.

And why aren't people leaving the country after getting their citizenship if the place is that horrible .... are there any legal bindings ?....

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
muscattocanada said:
I am a PR and still outside Canada.... just wanted to know if the situation has changed due to the government reducing the number of PR applications.

And why aren't people leaving the country after getting their citizenship if the place is that horrible .... are there any legal bindings ?....
There is no legal binding. After citizenship if one is getting good job abroad they are going out of Canada, there are numbers of Canadian who are getting jobs abroad and they are leaving. But, don't think (especially nowdays) that after spending five years as labour or doing low grade job or some other (change of line) business in Canada one will get the very high pay job abroad just becoz having 10 yeras of engineering/ professional experience five years back. Employers who are willing to pay high salaries also wants to have high quality of recent experience (unless some body is lucky or robusty updated his qualifications).