Finding a job after getting a PR

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Davs said:
Ketavan,

Thank you for your response. I understand that going for a PG diploma from a community college is your suggestion. But should i directly apply as a student in PG diploma course or would you suggest that i should take PR and then go to Canada...try my luck in job market and simultaneously apply for PG diploma while i am in Canada. Do you think with my qualification i can get a job in Canadian market? Thanks again in advance for the guidance.....Other seniors please reply to my initial query.
The question is how can you apply PR before coming to Canada. Skilled worker? If you can, and you know for sure you can...then yes.
If not, becoming an international student then get a job and apply for PR is the optimal choice. Google Manitoba nominee program, student stream...you will have an idea

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London (Federal), Paris (BIQ)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011 (Quebec); 29-02-2012 (Federal), signed by KRSZWDA
Nomination.....
Interview letter received from BIQ (Paris) November 2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011 (Quebec); 23-03-2012 (Federal, e-mail)
File Transfer...
19-04-2012 (London started processing)
Med's Request
12-06-2012 (delivered on 19-06-2012 by post)
Med's Done....
04-07-2012 (received by London on 09-07-2012, signed by IAN); appeared on ECAS on 31-07-2012
Interview........
06-02-2012 (got CSQ at Paris BIQ)
Passport Req..
30-07-12, but cancelled on 08-08-12 (additional background checks needed :o ) New passport req. - 05/11/12
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-12 (Passport submitted in person 15/11/12; Decision made and canadian address on ECAS 23/11/12; passport picked up in person 29/11/12).
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
This is very debatable. British Masters is 1 year while canadian 2 years, british phd is three years with 0 course while canadian phd is 5-7 years and includes a rigorous coursework. Even at the very basic level of comparison, the two are not equivalent. I taught undergrad economics for 3 years in UK. People did not even know how to solve equation in one unknown - I wonder if the same applies to Canada.
Even if UK education was as competitive as you believe, the chance of getting professorship is very low because of the oversupply of PhDs. There are 10 universities in Quebec or so, let us suppose there are 10 assistant prof vacancies every year in economics (though I do not believe there are so many). Now, I specialize on international economics - how many vacancies you think there will be for international economics? My estimate is 2 at maximum. And how many hungry/unemployed phd students from all over the world will be applying for them? At least 100.
The reality is that when we come here, we have to start from 0. I do not know what is going on in english speaking provinces as I am not eligible to move now.

on-hold said:
Ketevan, that is so stupid . . . At higher levels, like university professorships, UK education is competitive and accepted without review.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
You might be right. All I know is that when I went to U of T, I had several professors from Cambridge and Oxford, and I'm sure that their credentials were accepted without review.

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
04-07-2012 (received by London on 09-07-2012, signed by IAN); appeared on ECAS on 31-07-2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
30-07-12, but cancelled on 08-08-12 (additional background checks needed :o ) New passport req. - 05/11/12
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-12 (Passport submitted in person 15/11/12; Decision made and canadian address on ECAS 23/11/12; passport picked up in person 29/11/12).
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
You have to apply for PR as soon as possible if you are eligible. As a PR you will also benefit from financial support and lower study fees. You can start working and study at the same time to gain work experience. Btw, my suggestion was pg diploma from university.
It is really difficult to estimate your chances of getting job but given that you have international qualifications, you have better chance than others. Have you tried internal transfer to canada within hsbc?

Davs said:
Ketavan,

Thank you for your response. I understand that going for a PG diploma from a community college is your suggestion. But should i directly apply as a student in PG diploma course or would you suggest that i should take PR and then go to Canada...try my luck in job market and simultaneously apply for PG diploma while i am in Canada. Do you think with my qualification i can get a job in Canadian market? Thanks again in advance for the guidance.....Other seniors please reply to my initial query.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Of course, what you say about oversupply of PhDs is correct, everywhere in the English-speaking world. It makes me wonder sometimes why Canadian immigration emphasizes high education so much . . . That, plus the fact that Canadian academic networks are strong, makes it problematic for doctorate holders to become full professors at research universities.

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
In my opinion, Canada sets high education requirements to reduce the number of immigrant applications. If Canada accepted everyone, it would need 20 years to process each application. They are already overloaded with backlog. Moreover, setting high standards can justify immigration in the eyes of local people, because some see in the immigration a threat. Politicians can claim that new immigrants contribute to the economy with their skills. In reality, immigrants contribute with their savings and fertility (children). If the government wanted us to contribute with our skills, the credential recognition would be faster. As I said, I have been waiting 3 months for my appointment with ministry of immigration and I will wait 9 months at least the recognition of my diplomas.
Anyway I do not intend to complain. Although I am not excited to see my education devalued here, I am still grateful that Canada opened the doors for me, which no other country did. It is quite and clean, and even with minimum wages people can survive well. I cannot get a better life quality elsewhere.

on-hold said:
Of course, what you say about oversupply of PhDs is correct, everywhere in the English-speaking world. It makes me wonder sometimes why Canadian immigration emphasizes high education so much . . . That, plus the fact that Canadian academic networks are strong, makes it problematic for doctorate holders to become full professors at research universities.

Reactions: Lovely_Wings

Davs

Mar 10, 2013
Ketavan again many thanks for the response. I have tried getting internal transfer within HSBC they i guess they expect me to slog out for 2-3 years more before asking full time offsite opportunity.

I am made to beleive by local agents here that i am eligible for PR in Canada based on the new FSW rule. So i guess based on your suggestion i should start my PR asap and once i receive it then i can reach canada search a job and to be on a safe side enroll for a one year PG diploma in a university.

Ru in Canada? Have u ever met anyone with a Six sigma black belt certification? Whats an average salary for Six sigma black belt? I see there are many openings online but not sure if they eventually get realised in true jobs in the market. I think even tough i have a good lifestyle in India i should pursue canada for my Kid (still not born just got married) so that he can be born and brought up in first world country like Canada.

Let me know your thoughts...others also please suggest...Thanks and have a great day

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
Yes I am in Canada but I am not informed about job opportunities for people with your qualifications. I applied myself to many vacancies but never got any response.
If you are well settled in India, you can give your child much more than by starting life from 0 here. There is no first country and last country - one can live like king in Papua New Guinea and be beggar in Canada. However, trying to get a PR and come here without quitting your job is an option. You can try your luck.

Davs said:
Ketavan again many thanks for the response. I have tried getting internal transfer within HSBC they i guess they expect me to slog out for 2-3 years more before asking full time offsite opportunity.

I am made to beleive by local agents here that i am eligible for PR in Canada based on the new FSW rule. So i guess based on your suggestion i should start my PR asap and once i receive it then i can reach canada search a job and to be on a safe side enroll for a one year PG diploma in a university.

Ru in Canada? Have u ever met anyone with a Six sigma black belt certification? Whats an average salary for Six sigma black belt? I see there are many openings online but not sure if they eventually get realised in true jobs in the market. I think even tough i have a good lifestyle in India i should pursue canada for my Kid (still not born just got married) so that he can be born and brought up in first world country like Canada.

Let me know your thoughts...others also please suggest...Thanks and have a great day

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ketevan said:
Yes I am in Canada but I am not informed about job opportunities for people with your qualifications. I applied myself to many vacancies but never got any response.
If you are well settled in India, you can give your child much more than by starting life from 0 here. There is no first country and last country - one can live like king in Papua New Guinea and be beggar in Canada. However, trying to get a PR and come here without quitting your job is an option. You can try your luck.
I was well settled in my country but still decided to come to Canada 7 years ago. We could send our kids to international school back home but it is so much more expensive...and obviously not as good as schools in Canada. When I see kids going to school here...i forget everything I gave up at home. Just happy that I am here and my kids have the education and citizenship here.

Davs

Mar 10, 2013
Thanks alot Ketavan and nguyentu2001. I think i will start my PR process and i agree with nguyentu2001, i wanna do this for my kid (still not born..thinking ahead of time..hahaha)so that they truly have an international exposure. Even i can afford sending a kid in an international school here but being in Canada he will be getting better education and yes USA will always be open to him for higher educations. God bless you all and yes best of luck to all of us for our pursuit of getting a good job, PR and a good quality of life for us and our families in Canada. I will keep you all updated on my PR application struggle and keep asking for guidance....Enjoy!

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Davs said:
Thanks alot Ketavan and nguyentu2001. I think i will start my PR process and i agree with nguyentu2001, i wanna do this for my kid (still not born..thinking ahead of time..hahaha)so that they truly have an international exposure. Even i can afford sending a kid in an international school here but being in Canada he will be getting better education and yes USA will always be open to him for higher educations. God bless you all and yes best of luck to all of us for our pursuit of getting a good job, PR and a good quality of life for us and our families in Canada. I will keep you all updated on my PR application struggle and keep asking for guidance....Enjoy!
Good luck!!! You will find a way that best suits you. Cheers

njay91

Star Member
Aug 29, 2017
Kochi
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-01-2018
IELTS Request
19-08-2017
In my opinion that is why they have abolished the Federal Skilled Visa Category 3 because too many P.R are finding it difficult to land a job.

Now the only means of getting P.R for the FSW visa is...

1. You have Canadian experience in a skilled job
2. Sponsored by a company for a skilled job
3. Your job is in the 29 Noc List (high demand)

Makes alot of sense if you think about it.

But like the other person suggested, 'Prepare for the worst but hope for the best. Keep in contact on your progress and inform us all'

I'm very interested to know your outcome and progress since I have also got tertiary qualifications from Australia (Accounting/H.R/Psycholgy), although I have not yet landed in Canada.

murali.424

Sep 16, 2017
Hi,

I've 8+ years of experience as a Software developer in technologies like Microsoft .NET, C#, AngularJS, Node.JS, Hadoop, Oracle, Sql Server and Pentaho Data Integration.

I'm currently working for a top MNC in India and planning to move to Canada on PR visa.

Can anyone please help me understand the current scenario of IT jobs in Canada? Do you think I'll be able to get a suitable job in weeks time after landing there?

Last edited:

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Hi,

I've 8+ years of experience as a Software developer in technologies like Microsoft .NET, C#, AngularJS, Node.JS, Hadoop, Oracle, Sql Server and Pentaho Data Integration.

I'm currently working for a top MNC in India and planning to move to Canada on PR visa.

Can anyone please help me understand the current scenario of IT jobs in Canada? Do you think I'll be able to get a suitable job in weeks time after landing there?
no one can tell. Like almost everyone on this forum mentioned, better to take any job when you first land instead of waiting for a "suitable" job. Of course some were lucky and got one very soon but the main issue is the need for canadian work experience. Personally, both my spouse and I are willing to take anything that comes our way as soon as we land instead of waiting and have our savings gone. Sadly a lot of people did that and ended up losing all they brought in during the wait. I guess we all have to be willing to sacrifice a bit and "suck it up" that our good education and work experience isn't perceived the same way in canada. (Just my 2 cents from reading the various posts on this forum)

Reactions: SimpleMac

SimpleMac

Nov 22, 2016
no one can tell. Like almost everyone on this forum mentioned, better to take any job when you first land instead of waiting for a "suitable" job. Of course some were lucky and got one very soon but the main issue is the need for canadian work experience. Personally, both my spouse and I are willing to take anything that comes our way as soon as we land instead of waiting and have our savings gone. Sadly a lot of people did that and ended up losing all they brought in during the wait. I guess we all have to be willing to sacrifice a bit and "suck it up" that our good education and work experience isn't perceived the same way in canada. (Just my 2 cents from reading the various posts on this forum)
Well said hamgha ! That's what most of us face . Sad reality but true