+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finding a job after getting a PR

santyroger

Feb 7, 2013
Guys ! So what are the odds for me to get a job within a month?

Based on this only I am going to proceed further.

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would say very thin. Typically people take somewhere between 2-6 6 months finding first job in their own field

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
Savings get spent so fast that one could never imagine.
as Ankit said, 2-6 months.
you gotta know the system and the way Canadians want everyone to be ready to join their workforce.
this takes time. no one learns everything in days weeks or months.

Can you pm me your resume ?

WaterDad

Star Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2012
AOR Received.
31-07-2012
Med's Done....
21-03-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made-- 01/12/2012
Does anybody here have any non-IT job related advice? :/ Healthcare specifically.

buiatti

Jan 28, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm still on the search, and I can tell it is not easy. But I have noticed that, if you are able to get in contact with a recruiting agency specialized in your area of expertise, things will turn out easier.

I'm a Financial Analyst, and the best recruiting agencies for this area, as I could see, are Lannik and Robert Half, and getting the attention of such agencies into your resume is really hard. It took me two months to get one interview for professional assessment with one of these companies, and the other one, never answered even one email.

It seems like, once you have the "friendship" of a recruiter within these companies, you may get better chances to get into a job. Too bad it took me almost two months to get into the list of candidates of a specialized agency.

Also, he explained me that, if you are willing to start with contracts, finding a job is much easier, but do not expect to get a top position according to experience, and be prepared to start in more junior level positions.

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
for Lannik and Robert half, they only choose people with highly skilled and there are thousands of applicants to choose from for them.
Most of the times they fix people to cities and tows they have never been to or have not relatives/friends.

brar.arsh

Dec 22, 2010
London ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul-09-2012
AOR Received.
Sep-25-2012
File Transfer...
Sep-26-2012
Med's Done....
June-01-2012
Passport Req..
Oct-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
In Process Apr-03-2013, DM Apr-12-2013
LANDED..........
May-18-2013
I am currently working in Automation and Manual Testing and using QTP and ALM(QC) tools from HP. I am mainly working into development of automation scripts using QTP. I am also HP Certified QTP Professional and have also cleared the ISTQB Certification. I am shifting to Canada this month and will be available for personal interviews by 20th May 2013.

Can I arrange the interviews while staying in India??

murug100

Apr 16, 2013
Hello Everyone,

My Wife and I are coming to Canada this month and will be landing in Toronto at the end of this month(April 30) . Both of us are taking off from our jobs in our country (India) to try out our prospects in Canada .Need advise on consultants in Toronto. I am working as a Network Consultant with 15 yrs of experience in India with a US based MNC and my wife is also into the same domain with 6 years of experience. Is Toronto the right place to start searching jobs ?... Anybody on the forum with the idea of jobs in networking domain , telecom ? kindly help out ...

Thanks !!
Murug

shahriyar5945

Apr 15, 2013
Finding a job after getting a PR

Hi,
i am mechanical Engineer-Hvac,Plumbing,fire fighting working in uae from 9 years.I(my self and my family) got PR last year in may 2012 and right now working working in uae only.Now i am thinking to permanently go to Canada with my family.Is their any chance that before going to canada ,i can get job in my field or after reaching atleast i can get the job,Please help .

KaylM

Oct 26, 2010
Hi everybody,

I have graduated with a BSc in electrical engineering, but never worked as electrical engineer, instead, I worked as an Oracel ERP implementer and project manager for almost 6 years, after that I moved into internal auditing, and have been working as an internal auditor for almost the last 8 years. I am Certified Management Accountant (CMA – from IMA, USA), certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Information System Auditor (CISA), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), and Certified Project Management Professional (PMP).

I really don't know how my situation will be handled in Canada (with electrical engineering but working as an internal auditor), how much the certificates I have are recognized, and what is the possibility that I will find a job in Canada.

I got my PR since 2 years and planning to settle in Canad soon.

Regards,

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
murug100 said:
Hello Everyone,

My Wife and I are coming to Canada this month and will be landing in Toronto at the end of this month(April 30) . Both of us are taking off from our jobs in our country (India) to try out our prospects in Canada .Need advise on consultants in Toronto. I am working as a Network Consultant with 15 yrs of experience in India with a US based MNC and my wife is also into the same domain with 6 years of experience. Is Toronto the right place to start searching jobs ?... Anybody on the forum with the idea of jobs in networking domain , telecom ? kindly help out ...

Thanks !!
Murug
Toronto is right place to start with. Give your self few months to settle in new country

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KaylM said:
Hi everybody,

I have graduated with a BSc in electrical engineering, but never worked as electrical engineer, instead, I worked as an Oracel ERP implementer and project manager for almost 6 years, after that I moved into internal auditing, and have been working as an internal auditor for almost the last 8 years. I am Certified Management Accountant (CMA – from IMA, USA), certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Information System Auditor (CISA), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), and Certified Project Management Professional (PMP).

I really don't know how my situation will be handled in Canada (with electrical engineering but working as an internal auditor), how much the certificates I have are recognized, and what is the possibility that I will find a job in Canada.

I got my PR since 2 years and planning to settle in Canad soon.

Regards,
With all the certifications that you have mentioned, it should not be hard for you to find a job. It will take some preparations though. Get a resume as per canadian market standards, apply, and prepare for interviews and give your best shot

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cocosyr said:
I disagree. Disregard all your education and past work experience if it was not done in Canada. Many people here in this forum tend to lie to potential or recent immigrants, because their livelihood is dependent on you guys. Most of them are in sales and businesses targeting recent immigrants. So don't listen to them.
You differ, thats not a problem. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But your comment insinuating that everyone with a postive mind set has vested interest and is lying is bit overboard.

Reactions: Lovely_Wings

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
buiatti said:
I'm still on the search, and I can tell it is not easy. But I have noticed that, if you are able to get in contact with a recruiting agency specialized in your area of expertise, things will turn out easier.

I'm a Financial Analyst, and the best recruiting agencies for this area, as I could see, are Lannik and Robert Half, and getting the attention of such agencies into your resume is really hard. It took me two months to get one interview for professional assessment with one of these companies, and the other one, never answered even one email.

It seems like, once you have the "friendship" of a recruiter within these companies, you may get better chances to get into a job. Too bad it took me almost two months to get into the list of candidates of a specialized agency.

Also, he explained me that, if you are willing to start with contracts, finding a job is much easier, but do not expect to get a top position according to experience, and be prepared to start in more junior level positions.

If you have experience and work in Canada then agencies will always contact to get you in their list...but if you dont have experience in Canada...it is tough. They always say you will be contacted..blah blah...dont trust them. Trying other sources would be more useful.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
brar.arsh said:
I am currently working in Automation and Manual Testing and using QTP and ALM(QC) tools from HP. I am mainly working into development of automation scripts using QTP. I am also HP Certified QTP Professional and have also cleared the ISTQB Certification. I am shifting to Canada this month and will be available for personal interviews by 20th May 2013.

Can I arrange the interviews while staying in India??
if a company call you...yes you can.