Interview........
02-08-2016
Passport Req..
22-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2016
LANDED..........
15-10-2016
The CRA site seems to indicate that you cannot fill in taxes as a newcomer using NETFILE

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/tx/ndvdls/netfile-impotnet/lgblty-eng.html

There were other postings here suggesting that you can do that.

What is your experience? Can you do that or not?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
buzatti said:
The CRA site seems to indicate that you cannot fill in taxes as a newcomer using NETFILE

We had an experienced tax accountant do our very first filing to make sure that everything was set up correctly and that all of the transitional steps were covered. We don't regret it for a moment. It made the following years NETFILE filing so much easier.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
buzatti said:

Yes, you can do that without any problems. I used the Studio Tax, and I got the following text and checkbox during the Netfile procedure:

If you are filing an income tax return with the CRA for the first time, please agree to the following statement:

Check to confirm if you are filing an income tax return with the CRA for the first time.

As you can see on the CRA web pages they just need to know your birth date. And they got it, when you applied for the SIN.

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
sistemc said:
Yes, you can do that without any problems. I used the Studio Tax, and I got the following text and checkbox during the Netfile procedure:

If you are filing an income tax return with the CRA for the first time, please agree to the following statement:

Check to confirm if you are filing an income tax return with the CRA for the first time.

As you can see on the CRA web pages they just need to know your birth date. And they got it, when you applied for the SIN.
Awesome...+1

Please clarify, are you saying you used Studio Tax AND Netfile?

Also, can anyone recommend a good (yet affordable) tax accountant?

Thanks

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
Yes, I started the NETFILE procedure from the Studio Tax.

And last year they introduced the auto fill procedure, which automatically fills all relevant income return fields with the amounts on file at CRA. That saves you a lot of time, typing and checking.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
You don't need a tax accountant if you're income tax filing is simple, if you really don't want to deal with the filing, go to h&r block, they are in the malls starting february, if you are low income earner, go to community centers and there are tax volunteers who will file your return for free/donation, or if you want to learn to do your own taxes, buy the tax software and read the guide.