+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Class Sponsorship: Tyring to bring in my brother and his family

ssaleem

Dec 12, 2008
Hello,

I am a Canadian resident for the past few years. I want to sponsor my brother who is married and have kids. I read through the sponsorship application package and it said that I can only sponsor my brothers who are under the the age of 22 or over 22 if he is financially dependant on my parents. Either is not the case in his situation.My brother is over the age and runs a business in Pakistan. How can I sponsor him? He can not qualify on skilled class or other programs.

Your help in this regards will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
SS

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ssaleem said:
Hello,

I am a Canadian resident for the past few years. I want to sponsor my brother who is married and have kids. I read through the sponsorship application package and it said that I can only sponsor my brothers who are under the the age of 22 or over 22 if he is financially dependant on my parents. Either is not the case in his situation.My brother is over the age and runs a business in Pakistan. How can I sponsor him? He can not qualify on skilled class or other programs.

Your help in this regards will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
SS
You can't unless you are single, never married, have no children, your parents and grandparents are deceased, you don't have an Aunt/Uncle/Brother/Sister/Niece/Nephew in Canada. There are some programs in Alberta/Manitoba/Sask for siblings, but you would have to be residing in those provinces. If you are see their PNP.

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
You can't unless you are single, never married, have no children, your parents and grandparents are deceased, you don't have an Aunt/Uncle/Brother/Sister/Niece/Nephew in Canada.
And the brother would also have to be single and have no children. This is the clause in the federal family sponsorship program that says you can sponsor 'one other' relative if you have no family in Canada and no family elsewhere that you could sponsor. I looked into it with my brother and I was told that because our parents are alive, even though they are not interested in immigrating, that I could not sponsor my brother and even if our parents were dead, I still couldn't sponsor him under the federal system because he is married.

Under the provincial nominee programs, if you are living in AB, SK or MB, you could sponsor your brother and his family through the provincial program family stream as long as you and they meet other requirements, financially etc.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
PMM said:
You can't unless you are single, never married, have no children, your parents and grandparents are deceased, you don't have an Aunt/Uncle/Brother/Sister/Niece/Nephew in Canada.
And the brother would also have to be single and have no children. This is the clause in the federal family sponsorship program that says you can sponsor 'one other' relative if you have no family in Canada and no family elsewhere that you could sponsor. I looked into it with my brother and I was told that because our parents are alive, even though they are not interested in immigrating, that I could not sponsor my brother and even if our parents were dead, I still couldn't sponsor him under the federal system because he is married.

Under the provincial nominee programs, if you are living in AB, SK or MB, you could sponsor your brother and his family through the provincial program family stream as long as you and they meet other requirements, financially etc.
The above statement is wrong. From www.cic.gc.ca

Who can be sponsored

You can sponsor:

* parents
* grandparents
* brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
* another relative of any age or relationship if none of the above relatives could be sponsored, and you have no other relatives who are Canadian citizens, persons registered as Indians under the Indian Act or permanent residents and
* accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So goes to show how useless the CIC call centre is. When I asked about this a couple of years ago, they explicitly told me that I would not be able to sponsor my brother unless he was single and childless.

Woodbuffalo

Sep 22, 2011
PMM...

Do you have any idea how long it will take for the step 1 for sponsoring my brother (30 years) and his family?
I am not sure how to get any idea about the processing time for the step 1 for my case.

I have checked the processing time for CPC-M...it just do not indicate how long it will need for this.

Thanks

Woodbuffalo

Woodbuffalo

Sep 22, 2011
BTW, I am not sure if I understand that sentence clearly or not.
Can I sponsor my brother and his family if my parents are still alive?
(My parents do not want to move here.)

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Woodbuffalo said:
BTW, I am not sure if I understand that sentence clearly or not.
Can I sponsor my brother and his family if my parents are still alive?
(My parents do not want to move here.)

Thanks
No, if your parents are alive, you can't sponsor your brother federally. It doesn't matter that your parents don't wish to come.

Woodbuffalo

Sep 22, 2011
PMM..
Thanks!! I think Alberta Provincial Nominee Program also close family stream. Currently, there is no way to sponsor my brother here. Am I right?

WoodBuffalo

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Woodbuffalo said:
PMM..
Thanks!! I think Alberta Provincial Nominee Program also close family stream. Currently, there is no way to sponsor my brother here. Am I right?

WoodBuffalo
That's correct. Alberta PNP is not accepting applications for Family Class. See:

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrating/ainp.aspx

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
You can look in to Saskatchewan family stream program... I believe that one has to live there a year after that they are eligible to sponsor any family member

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Same in Manitoba but for neither of them is it just any family member. It should be a close family member and both the sponsor and person being sponsored needs to meet some requirements. At least one of them has to have a certain amount of money to ensure that the family has the funds to settle and survive until they find jobs and the sponsored needs to have a certain level of education and work experience. There are also age limits.

rahulgj

May 3, 2014
hi Leon
Need some info from you and other members because you all are very active members and give suggestions every time. I have my elder brother in India (33, unmarried). me and my parent are sponsored by my sister in Canada in 2013, now i am residing with my parent as PR (three of us) in Quebec, My question is that is there any way to bring my brother here in Canada on a permanent basis. before i read somewhere on internet that Manitoba has some programme that someone can sponsor from his family regardless of his age (upto 45), but you have to to stay there for 1 year and then you can put a file to sponsor. So do you know this kind of nominee programme they still have in any province in Canada. or any other way to sponsor my brother.
please share some views upon it. it will help me a lot. thank you for reading this

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rahulgj said:
hi Leon
Need some info from you and other members because you all are very active members and give suggestions every time. I have my elder brother in India (33, unmarried). me and my parent are sponsored by my sister in Canada in 2013, now i am residing with my parent as PR (three of us) in Quebec, My question is that is there any way to bring my brother here in Canada on a permanent basis. before i read somewhere on internet that Manitoba has some programme that someone can sponsor from his family regardless of his age (upto 45), but you have to to stay there for 1 year and then you can put a file to sponsor. So do you know this kind of nominee programme they still have in any province in Canada. or any other way to sponsor my brother.
please share some views upon it. it will help me a lot. thank you for reading this
If your brother has a substantial amount of money, he can immigrate through an investor program. Many provinces have one. Even Quebec has one. If this is not the case, Manitoba still has a way. The axed their old family sponsorship program but if your brother is skilled, he can apply through the skilled worker program and you would be his supporter. You would have to have lived in Manitoba for at least one year before you apply. The skilled worker program is based on points and he gets a lot of points for having a close relative in Manitoba who will help him settle. You can find the program here: http://www.immigratemanitoba.com/mpnp-for-skilled-workers/ and here is the section on skilled worker overseas: http://www.immigratemanitoba.com/mpnp-for-skilled-workers/eligibility/eligibility-swo/