+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of a Post Graduation Work Permit after extending the Passport

hanzorama

Feb 11, 2014
when extending the PGWP with the IM5710 after renewing my passport, do I need to submit the fee again as well? Do I send in the originals of my old PGWP or just a copy?

soloman1776

Star Member
May 22, 2012
hi all,
do we need to submit the same documents again to extend the PGWP?
like transcripts,degree etc. or just attach the current PGWP ?(which is valid until the passport expiry) with new passport copy.

Thanks

jay9091

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
I want to ask everyone one question:-

Please tell me when you fill in the employment details in the IMM5710 form, do you fill in your part time job details as well (done during off campus work permit while studying)?

Thanks

spygames

Jun 28, 2015
hello Sir ,

I saw from one of your posts that u know how an international student could apply for a loan in canada , with a canadian citizen as a cossigner. Could you please tell me how to do so , n what banks are giving loans to international students with a Canadian citizen as a cosigner.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Show_102

Nov 20, 2015
QC_Student_PEQ said:
Hi Myriam. I was in the exact situation. I called CIC and they said the following.
When it ask for employer or market-market place, stuff like that, just say "No" After that it will ask why you dont have it.
As a reponse, all you have to do is to mention, "I dont have it because my old work permit is a Post Grad Work Permit".
If you do so, at the end of the online application, they will ask you to attach only the Passport. It is ok just to attach the passport. If you want to feel safer, you can make a two-paged long PDF file one page for new passport and another page for proof of graduation.
For further questions on this matter, feel free to ask me. I did this just a few weeks ago.
I have a post graduate open work permit that is for three years/ I was only able to get two due to my passport / I'm looking to extend it but I'm not sure what documentation i require/ I have called CIC Callcentre and to no avail can assist as well as the eligilable questionaire does not help. i just wanted some assistance on the required documents

skhan919

Nov 21, 2015
Hello,
In the IMM5710E, there is an option to choose from on the top section 3. It says "I am applying for one or more of the following"
I am looking to extend my post graduate work permit because my passport is due to expire in Feb 2016 and I still have one year left for my post graduate work permit.
Which option should I choose from? and I am submitting the application online.
Thank you

Show_102

Nov 20, 2015
I spoke to the CIC agent and she stated to mark off a work permit with the same employer section but make sure that I include a detailed letter about the situation

Ksaw

Nov 23, 2015
I understand that to apply for PGWP ... you have to do it via paper application. I called the CIC and spoke to one of them whom explained that to me in July 2015.

I am in a similar situation where my PGWP was issued to my expiry date with the notes at the bottom stating that to get the remaining balance, I would have to renew the passport and then apply for the extension.

Sent in my application at end of July 2015 as it was about to expire mid October 2015. Still have not heard back from them. I was checking the processing time online: there is one for same employer and another for the a different employer. Does anyone know which it would fall under?

It's currently Nov and according to the CIC officer, we do not get a notification that our application has been received by the office. If they received it, they will process accordingly and you will get the paperwork in the mail or they would notify you that it has been rejected. In the meantime, we are allowed to continue working under the "Implied status".

So my problem is this, seeing that now I am currently working under Implied Status and my PGWP has expired, I have no clue if my application was even received by the office and have no way to track or find out as I do not have a copy of the trackking number anymore :( . The only way I will know is either (A) the paperwork arrives in my mail/or I get an email saying it got rejected or (B) it has passed the processing time -give or take a few weeks and I didn't receive anything from CIC.

Does anyone know what happens if the office did not actually receive my application? Would I get penalized for continueing to work and not leaving the country? I am also currently applying for permanent residency under PNP but its still being processed. Would it have any effect on the permanent residency? I am concerned that if they decide to reject the permanent residency application because I overstayed my permit when it is actually due to the fact that they did not receive the application and I wasn't notified of it earlier.

Please advise.

istanangoi

Dec 2, 2015
Hi Ksaw,

I'm in the same situation like you. But what is implied status? my WP will be expired on January 14. I sent my papers for PGWP Extension on Sept. 1, and I don't have tracking numbers.

Dversa

Star Member
Nov 20, 2011
Hi everyone, I got almost the same problem. My PGWP is expiring in Oct 2016 and want to extend for my wife spousal Work visa so she wont be reject on a grounds that I only have work-permit till oct 2016. On my PGWP it says on the comment or Notes: issued to passport validity. I was eligible for 3 years but there is nothing extra on comment says that I can get the further balance. Can anyone help me please urgent

Divi707

Sep 19, 2014
Hi
i am and international student in canada and completed my studies of 2 years recently in the month of september. I got my transcripts by the end of november and the by second week of december I applied for PG work permit ans waiting for the result.
My passport is expiring by mid of june 2017. Today somebody told me that they issue work permit based on the passport term.
So does that mean that i will get work permit for just 5 or 6 months or for 3 yrs ?

bhatia7990

Jan 11, 2017
Maryam_d said:
Hello everyone,

This is also an update to my PGWP extension application. I have just got my PGWP extended. I had applied Dec 24, 2012 and got it back today, Feb 12, 2013. I applied through new online system which I have explained step by step above. I did not provide any LMO No. or so, though I had my job offer letter. It was extended until the desired date at-which makes my PGWP valid for a total 3 years.

Good luck to everyone!
Hey can you tell if you selected your current status in Canada as Student while filling in the eligibility criteria. Because if we do it as worker it doesn't give us the option to go for PGWP. Any help will be appreciated. But I was able to get the PGWP option once I said that my current status is student even though I am working on PGWP right now.

96gb

Jan 23, 2017
Divi707 said:
Hi
i am and international student in canada and completed my studies of 2 years recently in the month of september. I got my transcripts by the end of november and the by second week of december I applied for PG work permit ans waiting for the result.
My passport is expiring by mid of june 2017. Today somebody told me that they issue work permit based on the passport term.
So does that mean that i will get work permit for just 5 or 6 months or for 3 yrs ?
Hi Divi707,

Your PGWP will be issued up to your passport expiry. The same thing happened to me.
I would suggest that you renew your passport before you apply for PGWP.
Given the 90 day limit for PGWP application from your final graduation, renewing your passport may not be possible in time.
You might need to apply for extension of PGWP as soon as you get your passport renewed.
Your university's international student office may also be able to direct you regarding PGWP extension.

All the best!

lovecanada001

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
Hi
Hi There,
I am also in the same situation after graduation CIC gave me 2-year PGWP due to passport expiry. I need your little help, I want to know how did you apply for the extension and how many days they took to process your application. One more thing I want to know in your old work permit as they wrote anything in your remark? As per other threads, people said CIC always write something in your remark that we are giving you work permit up to passport expiry and re-apply to get your remaining period of work permit.
I will be much appreciated if you can help me out.