+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of a Post Graduation Work Permit after extending the Passport

Maryam_d

Oct 3, 2012
Hello experts!

I have a confusing situation and could not find among others any similar situation as mine.

Last year after graduation from a Master program, I was entitled for a three year post graduation work permit (PGWP). However it was issued to me just until my passport expiry date which was until 21 April 2013. Now I am going to extend my PGWP to its initial and actual validation date, i.e. that three year.

I am currently working full time and permanently, but I don’t want my employer to go for those LMO stories. But in the new online application centre in the CIC here:

cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

I am asked for uploading my job offer letter as well as LMO information and other complete information about my employer, while theoretically for having a PGWP we do not have to have a job!

So does anyone know how to fill the form IMM5710E and complete the application for extending my status as a worker with my current situation?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Pro_Public

Star Member
Dec 5, 2012
If your WP has notes saying you will get extention to full 3 years, you can just apply as what you did last time. If online is not working, use normal paper application. Attach letter from ER for employment and choosing the PGWP from the list of "what type of WP r u applying for".

Maryam_d

Oct 3, 2012
Thanks for your answer.

Yes it says that, but in the form and also in the application check list I am asked to provide my job letter and LMO No. How should I deal with that?

Should I just write N.A for those questions?

Pro_Public

Star Member
Dec 5, 2012
Doc checklist ask you for whatever applicable. You mark what you included in the package.
Letter Head from your empoyer stating your employment is full-time permananet is enough for your story. If CIC needs anything else, they will ask.

Maryam_d

Oct 3, 2012
what about the form IMM5710? How to answer the questions about LMO No? N.A is fine?

Also by the check list in the new online system, I have to upload those documents. It seems it does not go to the next step before making this part completed.

QC_Student_PEQ

Star Member
Oct 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
26-07-2012
Med's Request
28-Aug-2012
Med's Done....
06-Sept-2012
Passport Req..
21-Feb-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-March-2013
LANDED..........
23-March-2013
Hi Myriam. I was in the exact situation. I called CIC and they said the following.
When it ask for employer or market-market place, stuff like that, just say "No" After that it will ask why you dont have it.
As a reponse, all you have to do is to mention, "I dont have it because my old work permit is a Post Grad Work Permit".
If you do so, at the end of the online application, they will ask you to attach only the Passport. It is ok just to attach the passport. If you want to feel safer, you can make a two-paged long PDF file one page for new passport and another page for proof of graduation.
For further questions on this matter, feel free to ask me. I did this just a few weeks ago.

Maryam_d

Oct 3, 2012
Thanks a lot QC_Student_PEQ, it was helpful and complete.

I started filling my online application last week but because of some reasons just paused it and when I wanted to resume it a day after (Dec 15), a new online system (the one I wrote the link above) has been just released!

The new system looks a bit confusing for me with my situation. Moreover, I have to fill and upload form IMM5710E and do not know how to answer to those LMO relevant questions as well as the 3rd question which asks me to answer:

"I am applying for one or more of the following:
1.A work permit with the same employer
2.Restoration of temporary resident status as a worker
3. A work permit with a new employer
4.Initial temporary resident permit or extension of temporary "

Should I just write N.A for LMO related question? And also how do you answer above?

Thanks again!

QC_Student_PEQ

Star Member
Oct 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
26-07-2012
Med's Request
28-Aug-2012
Med's Done....
06-Sept-2012
Passport Req..
21-Feb-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-March-2013
LANDED..........
23-March-2013
Maryam_d said:
Thanks a lot QC_Student_PEQ, it was helpful and complete.

I started filling my online application last week but because of some reasons just paused it and when I wanted to resume it a day after (Dec 15), a new online system (the one I wrote the link above) has been just released!

The new system looks a bit confusing for me with my situation. Moreover, I have to fill and upload form IMM5710E and do not know how to answer to those LMO relevant questions as well as the 3rd question which asks me to answer:

"I am applying for one or more of the following:
1.A work permit with the same employer
2.Restoration of temporary resident status as a worker
3. A work permit with a new employer
4.Initial temporary resident permit or extension of temporary "

Should I just write N.A for LMO related question? And also how do you answer above?

Thanks again!
first of all, you dn't need to worry about forms if you are applying online. whatever you fll up is the same contents as the forms.
And I don't think I had the question you mentioned. On mine it said in the online application "What do you want to do today", then it shows a dropdown bar from which I selected "Extension of Work Permit"

Probably the format changed a bit with the new system.

Maryam_d

Oct 3, 2012
Yes, Unfortunately they changed it and made this more confusing. :(

But thanks a lot for your response. Hope you get your PGWP extended very soon.

QC_Student_PEQ

Star Member
Oct 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
26-07-2012
Med's Request
28-Aug-2012
Med's Done....
06-Sept-2012
Passport Req..
21-Feb-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-March-2013
LANDED..........
23-March-2013
Maryam_d said:
Yes, Unfortunately they changed it and made this more confusing. :(

But thanks a lot for your response. Hope you get your PGWP extended very soon.
sorry i coudn't give u full support. If you not want to delay, they are still open today til 4 oclock for calling.
I called them, and they re-directed my call to the "online-application department". If you call now (or january) they will be happy to guide you thru step by step instruction with the new format.

Maryam_d

Oct 3, 2012
How do you talk to an CIC agent to get the answer of your question? I tried several times to talk with them by calling CIC call centre phone number at 1-888-242-2100 but it is on an automated service. In CIC website it’s written that: “You must choose one of the five recorded options before you can speak to an agent.” I follow the same instruction but it is just continued with recorded answer and there is no option for talking with a representative.

Is there any other number?

QC_Student_PEQ

Star Member
Oct 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
26-07-2012
Med's Request
28-Aug-2012
Med's Done....
06-Sept-2012
Passport Req..
21-Feb-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-March-2013
LANDED..........
23-March-2013
Maryam_d said:
How do you talk to an CIC agent to get the answer of your question? I tried several times to talk with them by calling CIC call centre phone number at 1-888-242-2100 but it is on an automated service. In CIC website it's written that: “You must choose one of the five recorded options before you can speak to an agent.” I follow the same instruction but it is just continued with recorded answer and there is no option for talking with a representative.

Is there any other number?
after selecting all you options, when there is no more option to choose, press "0" :)

Maryam_d

Oct 3, 2012
As an update and closing this topic:

I called the CIC call centre and spoke to an agent. She confirmed that a person in my situation does not have to have a job offer letter or any LMO No to be able to extend his/her PGWP. So I should just leave the related questions about LMO No. or so with an N.A.

Also she said the answer of question 3 in IMM 5710E is : “A work permit with the same employer”

Hope this topic's helped others too, and thank you for your guidance!

QC_Student_PEQ

Star Member
Oct 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
26-07-2012
Med's Request
28-Aug-2012
Med's Done....
06-Sept-2012
Passport Req..
21-Feb-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-March-2013
LANDED..........
23-March-2013
Maryam_d said:
As an update and closing this topic:

I called the CIC call centre and spoke to an agent. She confirmed that a person in my situation does not have to have a job offer letter or any LMO No to be able to extend his/her PGWP. So I should just leave the related questions about LMO No. or so with an N.A.

Also she said the answer of question 3 in IMM 5710E is : “A work permit with the same employer”

Hope this topic's helped others too, and thank you for your guidance!

No worries. My impression is that they aren't really strict what you put on there, as long as it is clear to them it is a post-grad work permit. The agetn casually told "oh you dont need to worry too much, just put your passport and mention that it is for post grad exension". The reason for their flexibility is because there exits no specific webpage made for post grad extension. there is only one for the regular work permit extension. goodl uck!