Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 29 2016
AOR Received.
Jan 30 2016
Passport Req..
Sept 16 2016
Hi all,

My partner and I (he's American, I'm Canadian) have been dating long distance for about 5 years, going back and forth across the border. He has never stayed here more than a couple of weeks until earlier this year. He has been staying with me for 4 months now. We are hoping to get married sometime next year to close the distance. However, we have never gone through the process of asking for a TRV extension.

1. Would going back to the US for a month or 2 and then coming back in "reset" his status?
2. How long do TRV extensions tend to be? Could he confidently get another 6 months?
3. When filling in the TRV extension application, would "getting married in X months" be a valid reason to file for the extension?

Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

My partner and I (he's American, I'm Canadian) have been dating long distance for about 5 years, going back and forth across the border. He has never stayed here more than a couple of weeks until earlier this year. He has been staying with me for 4 months now. We are hoping to get married sometime next year to close the distance. However, we have never gone through the process of asking for a TRV extension.

1. Would going back to the US for a month or 2 and then coming back in "reset" his status?
2. How long do TRV extensions tend to be? Could he confidently get another 6 months?
3. When filling in the TRV extension application, would "getting married in X months" be a valid reason to file for the extension?

Thank you!
Hi

He does not have a TRV. He will need to apply to extend his visitor status.

1. If he is wanting to stay in Canada, it is much better to apply online for the extension than to leave and try to re-enter.

2. Visitor extensions are generally for 6 months. No one can say for sure what he will get.

3. Yes, you can put "marrying Canadian partner and applying for sponsorship" as the reason for the extension. I suggest you pay the full PR fees and include that receipt to show you are serious. With sufficient proof of funds to support the extended stay, there should be no issues.

fullofturtles

Dec 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 29 2016
AOR Received.
Jan 30 2016
Passport Req..
Sept 16 2016
Hi

He does not have a TRV. He will need to apply to extend his visitor status.

1. If he is wanting to stay in Canada, it is much better to apply online for the extension than to leave and try to re-enter.

2. Visitor extensions are generally for 6 months. No one can say for sure what he will get.

3. Yes, you can put "marrying Canadian partner and applying for sponsorship" as the reason for the extension. I suggest you pay the full PR fees and include that receipt to show you are serious. With sufficient proof of funds to support the extended stay, there should be no issues.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help. You're right, he doesn't have a TRV. I hadn't considered that when I wrote this. Thanks!