+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting/Importing Vehicle - US to Canada ONLY!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

quercus said:
CBSA has asked me a few times about my car, and two of them lectured me, one pretty intensely, about how I need to import my car and get new plates if I'm living in Canada, that it's kind of OK before PR, but once I land (which I have now), it's not. I can't find anything that says that; I was hoping it was just individual CBSA agents being cranky.

Thanks as always, you're so helpful!

As an aside, AFAIK Alberta doesn't do temporary importing. BC gave me a temp permit when we crossed through, moving up to AB, but when I renewed my visitor visa in AB, CBSA laughed, said they hadn't seen one of those in years & the woman who issued it was handing out useless paperwork, and threw it away.
1. Actually CBSA does have temporary importation and it is not that rare for students and workers entering Canada for less than 3 years. The Form 1 issued allows you to register the car in Canada and obtain Insurance See: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles-importation-visitors-faq-1336.htm

kevon2310

Jul 13, 2016
INTRODUCTION

STEP 1: RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH
STEP 2: RIV it up!
STEP 3: Obtain an EIN Number
(NOTE: If you are unable to obtain an EIN Number you will need to contact a broker to do the export for you. Below is a list of brokers who are able to obtain an ITN for you.)
Brokers:
Simplified Trade Solutions - $35.00
AutoExports.US - $75.00
I have no preference on which broker to use because I did not use one. I will leave that choice up to you. Once you have chosen a broker, paid, and obtained your ITN number you can skip to STEP x: At the border, ready to export!
STEP 4: Create ACE account and Submit Filing on AESDirect
STEP 5: Once the wait is over, be prepared!
STEP 6: At the US border, ready to export!
STEP 7: Not over yet, on to the Canadian Border!
STEP 8: Exported and Imported, now what?
Before you physically did the actual import/export. How long did this process which you went through take?

I am trying to determine when to go through mine and how far I need to do it before leaving for Canada

smtele

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016
Before you physically did the actual import/export. How long did this process which you went through take?

I am trying to determine when to go through mine and how far I need to do it before leaving for Canada
give it atleast 2-4 weeks to arrange for all the papers.

choudhary_abhinav

Sep 27, 2016
Hi,

I have imported the car from my brother (Family gift). Paper work at US Customs and CBSA done. I am trying to do the RIV registration form but unsure about 'Foreign Vendor Information'. Can anyone please advise what does it mean.

Regards,
I'm also unsure about the 'Foreign Vendor Information'. Does any one have any idea?

HUH30000

Jul 8, 2017
Thank you for the great post, very valuable and detailed information. I was a legal alien living in the USA for a few years as a student. I got admitted to Canada as PR ( pending case) and I left my car in the USA until the process is completed. I had the car in the USA for few years and I left it behind until I settle down in Canada. I have few question if anyone can help
1- Do I need to have EIN to export the car ( I am not a US citizen, i did not work in the USA because was not allowed to and did not have SSN)
2- I see in your explanation that EIN will be used to apply for ITIN, but if a broker can help provide the ITIN, does that mean filling for EIN is not needed by me?
3- I can not get into the USA (must have a visa, which I can not have now) and my car is now with my friend, can he drive it through the USA border and I receive it at the Canadian border to complete the import process?
4- I claimed the car as I entered Canada for the first time (a few months ago), does that mean that I dont have to pay the import fees (or taxes)?

Thank you all

Jul 12, 2017
I have a huge problem with our vehicle importation, which has been a saga. I still don't have the title. Basically, I paid the car off about 2 months ago in anticipation of our immigration from the US to Canada, but the bank had an old address on file (even though I changed it several times - it's been a consistent issue in their computer system) and it caused a lot of confusion as to where to send the title. It's been a mess between the bank (which is in California - I moved) and the DMV of the state I'm in now (Texas). I'm not sure what's going on, because I thought it would be sent to the address the car is registered at, but apparently not. I'm sure it's lost in the mail. I'm desperately trying to think of options, as we're only 7 weeks away from crossing the border. I'm really doubting that I'll be able to get the title in time, as even if I tried to request a new copy of the title I would have to coordinate with the incompetent bank (in California) to physically sign paperwork, mail it to Texas, submit my request forms, and then wait at least 4 weeks to receive the new title. Damn.

Anyway, what I need is time to sort this mess out and figure out how to get my hands on the title, but I don't have it. Does anyone have any advice? Is it possible to bring the vehicle in temporarily without the title, as a tourist, etc.? We're really at a loss as to what to do. We could potentially leave the car with family for now, but we're moving from Texas to Ontario, so that's a really expensive proposition.

Jul 12, 2017
I'm also unsure about the 'Foreign Vendor Information'. Does any one have any idea?
Re: vendor information, this is the response I got when I e-mailed about it:

"Good day,

The Border Services Officer (BSO) will be verifying whether the vehicle, importer, and vendor information matches the information on the supporting documentation (Title, United States proof of export, licensing document, bill of sale, invoice, etc.)

The foreign vendor information recorded under section 15 of the Vehicle Import Form - Form 1 is to identify the entity or person who sold or gifted the vehicle to the importer of record outside of Canada; in other words where did the vehicle acquisition take place?

Should you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact our office."

Foreign vendor --> The dealer or individual you bought the vehicle from.

Reactions: mbaleine

HUH30000

Jul 8, 2017
I would totally pass Simplified Trade Solutions. They are very unprofessional and left me stranded at the US borders for 8 hours because of an error they made when they filed the AES. They answered my first call, but once they knew the trouble I am going through because of them, they stopped responding for the next 3 hours and the next thing I get from them is a refund notification without having the decency to notify me or apologize. STAY AWAY from them

INTRODUCTION

STEP 1: RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH
STEP 2: RIV it up!
STEP 3: Obtain an EIN Number
(NOTE: If you are unable to obtain an EIN Number you will need to contact a broker to do the export for you. Below is a list of brokers who are able to obtain an ITN for you.)
Brokers:
Simplified Trade Solutions - $35.00
AutoExports.US - $75.00
I have no preference on which broker to use because I did not use one. I will leave that choice up to you.

macboy012

Aug 21, 2017
It's been noted in other posts, but, the one step that is missing is to notify the border crossing you intend to cross at with all your information, either by email, fax, or, dropping it off in person.

For me this was Blaine (Pacific border crossing), don't expect different crossing to have the same policies and procedures :p

I needed to fill out a worksheet, only found by accident here: http://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/BlaineCBP-ExportWorksheet.doc (Blaine border crossing vehicle export worksheet)
I also sent as attachments the document with my ITN, a copy of my title, and the worksheet. I also put my vehicle description, VIN, and title number in the body of the email. This was accepted by them and I got a reply email stating when I would be clear to cross with my vehicle.
They also have a little bit in the reply email about how your vehicle must remain outside of Canada for the 72 hours and there are penalties and fines and they can seize your vehicle. In the end they never asked me, but, I jumped through hoops to make sure my vehicle was in the US for the period.

The last bit of info is, what to do at the border!
Act like you're driving to the Canadian border crossing (you will be right after). Park in the hi-lighted red area, there is a shack with big yellow letters that says KIOSK, that's the right place. Leave your vehicle unlocked and make sure your dashboard VIN is visible from outside. If you make a border guard walk outside twice to check you vehicle you'll catch shit. Don't park in visitor parking, they'll make you move it before they do anything.
It's weird walking across all the lanes of traffic, but nobody will stop you. The export window is inside on the left 3/4s of the way down the wall, it's just one little window. It's the little plus in my diagram.

Good luck!
If there is information you needed that was missing, signup and post it! I know you're done and want to forget about ever dealing with this shit, but, our experiences are the best documentation for this process!

Reactions: Danaan
Sep 29, 2017
I have a huge problem with our vehicle importation, which has been a saga. I still don't have the title. Basically, I paid the car off about 2 months ago in anticipation of our immigration from the US to Canada, but the bank had an old address on file (even though I changed it several times - it's been a consistent issue in their computer system) and it caused a lot of confusion as to where to send the title. It's been a mess between the bank (which is in California - I moved) and the DMV of the state I'm in now (Texas). I'm not sure what's going on, because I thought it would be sent to the address the car is registered at, but apparently not. I'm sure it's lost in the mail. I'm desperately trying to think of options, as we're only 7 weeks away from crossing the border. I'm really doubting that I'll be able to get the title in time, as even if I tried to request a new copy of the title I would have to coordinate with the incompetent bank (in California) to physically sign paperwork, mail it to Texas, submit my request forms, and then wait at least 4 weeks to receive the new title. Damn.

Anyway, what I need is time to sort this mess out and figure out how to get my hands on the title, but I don't have it. Does anyone have any advice? Is it possible to bring the vehicle in temporarily without the title, as a tourist, etc.? We're really at a loss as to what to do. We could potentially leave the car with family for now, but we're moving from Texas to Ontario, so that's a really expensive proposition.
HELLO SQUAREDSQUIRREL,
Have you heard anything about how to tackle your situation? I am in the exact same situation- my vehicle is paid off but the original title has not arrived. Are you crossing the border and importing your vehicle without a title? Or are you driving your vehicle across the border and importing it at a later date?

macboy012

Aug 21, 2017
I can answer what my experience was. I "landed" without my title, they recorded my vehicle's VIN and put it down on the goods-to-follow form. I dealt with export and import later once I had the title. You can't do any export/import business without the title, but you can still cross with it. YMMV, my vehicle was registered/titled in my father's name, so a clear shared last name may have made it clear I had permission to have it in Canada and probably wasn't going to sell it illegally or anything.

I crossed the border in my vehicle a couple times after I'd "landed" before importing it, the border guards let me through, but they were very pointed in stating I NEEDED to import my vehicle and that they could make me leave my vehicle on the US side. I stopped driving across, just left my vehicle in Canada, until I got everything taken care of.

Sep 29, 2017
Hello all,
I am a US citizen with a canadian perm rez, moving to Canada for the first time in one week. I am trying to import my vehicle into Canada and starting the process.
First question- can I pull this off in one week?
Second question- how do I import my vehicle without a title? I do not yet have the title because I just paid off the vehicle and have not received the title in the mail yet.
I spoke to Canadian customs border people and when I explained my situation they said it is not a problem to import without the title. I then spoke to US customs border and they said I cannot import the vehicle without the title. Additionally US customs also said they would not let me drive across the border and import my vehicle at a later date. Is that correct? I cannot drive across the border and import at a later date? Any info anyone can share i greatly appreciate it!

Sep 29, 2017
I can answer what my experience was. I "landed" without my title, they recorded my vehicle's VIN and put it down on the goods-to-follow form. I dealt with export and import later once I had the title. You can't do any export/import business without the title, but you can still cross with it. YMMV, my vehicle was registered/titled in my father's name, so a clear shared last name may have made it clear I had permission to have it in Canada and probably wasn't going to sell it illegally or anything.

I crossed the border in my vehicle a couple times after I'd "landed" before importing it, the border guards let me through, but they were very pointed in stating I NEEDED to import my vehicle and that they could make me leave my vehicle on the US side. I stopped driving across, just left my vehicle in Canada, until I got everything taken care of.
Hi- ah I see. Thank you for the info! So, am I correct that if I do the same thing you did (do the import/export at a later date) that I must return to a border to do the import/export process? In other words, that process must physically take place at a border? And, in doing so, I must cross the border back into the US, stay in the US for 3 days, then I can return to the border to officially export/import? I'm moving to Calgary and to drive back to the border and stay in the US for 3 days is not terribly practical.

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Hello all,

I am planning to move to Canada in Jan 2018 (FSW-O, express entry landing) I need few info to clear about the confusion I have regarding tax.

- If vehicle is manufactured in North America then no Duty on it at border, correct?
- There are other fees like air condition, gas guzzler, etc... which can not be avoided. Car may need certain modification such as DRL etc...
- Do I need to pay GST + PST (Ontario) for my car imported from USA to Canada? Or is there any way to waive it off? This is my main concern.

If anyone can throw clear light on this it will be great. I read somewhere that one can get GST waived off too while landing. Not sure if that is true.

Sep 29, 2017

Hi Macboy012- I am here in Canada, landed and put my vehicle on my import paperwork as to be imported at a later date. In order to get here, I drove my vehicle into Canada. I now have my original title and need to drive my vehicle back to a border to do the export/import process. Did you cross back into the US and stay there for 72 hours? What did you say at the US border when you were entering the US? In other words, did you say anything about your vehicle or just say you were visiting? How does US border know if your vehicle has been in the US for 72 hours prior to export?