+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Epilepsy of child can come up with Study visa refusal for parent?- help!

Mithu124

Jul 31, 2016
Hi,

I have recently applied my study visa for Canada and received mail for the medical exams. Now I am afraid whether I will be rejected to get my study visa. My applications- Student visa for myself & Son ( 8 Y+) and Wife for the open work permit and another son ( 1 Y ) is temporary visa ):

Why I am afraid!
Out of two, one of my son's having the partial focal seizure ( epilepsy ). It's been since last 5 years and he is having daily medication. It doesn't happen every day/month and so far it happened 6/7 times throughout this 5 years! ( he is now 8 years+ ). he is also doing good in his school.

Any expert opinion, what might happen once our medical report will be submitted to the embassy?
Will we get rejected of our visas?

Thanks very much in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, you will not get rejected for study visa or other temporary visa because of your child. However, if you later apply for PR, you could be rejected if immigration considers your son "too expensive" for Canadian health care. This could happen if his medication or other special needs now or in the future could cost more than something like $6000 per year.

Mithu124

Jul 31, 2016
Thanks Very much Leon for your answer.
I feel a bit pressure free now, though still I am with nightmare until I get my Visa.:)

Just Curious, Where I can find this 6000 CAD CAP per year? Also, how to proof that my son is not utilizing this full limit 6000 CAD per year as a medical expenditure ( As I may go for PR in future )? I have his current record, which is just as 2100 CAD per year for medicine, no other cost so far.

Really appreciate your fruitful answer.

Thanks.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Mithu124 said:
Just Curious, Where I can find this 6000 CAD CAP per year?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/admiss/excessive.asp
Cost threshold for health and social services
Effective January 1, 2017, the updated cost threshold is $6,655 per year. This figure is usually multiplied by five (unless the anticipated length of stay is shorter than five years or there is evidence that significant costs are likely to be incurred beyond that period, in which case the period is no more than 10 consecutive years). This results in the legislated threshold of $33,275.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Mithu124 said:
Just Curious, Where I can find this 6000 CAD CAP per year? Also, how to proof that my son is not utilizing this full limit 6000 CAD per year as a medical expenditure ( As I may go for PR in future )? I have his current record, which is just as 2100 CAD per year for medicine, no other cost so far.
You need to factor in the total costs of his care - not just medication. For example, if he has any appointments with doctors - that comes at a cost (although you may not be paying it). Same if he participates in any sort of therapy (e.g. physio) - you'll need to factor that in as well.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mithu124 said:
Thanks Very much Leon for your answer.
I feel a bit pressure free now, though still I am with nightmare until I get my Visa.:)

Really appreciate your fruitful answer.

Thanks.
They can also take into account his future prognosis too. Say if they were to expect that his condition might get worse. I had for a long time exchanged private messages with a man who was in the process of applying for PR when his wife gave birth to a baby. Normally this is not a problem, just add the baby to the application. However, in this case, the baby had Down's syndrome. Immigration wanted and got the proof that his son has no heart problems that often come with Down's syndrome and no other ailments, is not on any medication etc. Basically costing health care at that point no more than any other baby or young child. However, they were taking into account his lifetime of needing special schooling etc. and last time I heard from this man, his son was already six years old and his case was still under review after many appeals.

Mithu124

Jul 31, 2016
Hi all,

Thanks all for your valuable suggestions and inputs which was very useful for me.
An update from my side, I just completed the medical tests for all of my 4 family members including me.
Now waiting for the surprise , acceptance / rejection. :-\

I was browsing through some law firm advertisement regarding the medical issue support in case I go for PR in my next stage.
Looks, I didn't find them mentioned about epilepsy which may be considered as a inadmissible medical condition for PR rejection!
Any way, If I act as a preventive from the beginning, should I seek for a lawyer firm support prior to my PR launch?
will it be a good idea?
any thought , please?

Thanks again to all.

Mithu124

Jul 31, 2016
Dear all,

Just to update you all, to my well wishers and who helped me to get all the information's regarding the medical matter of my son, I have received my study permit including my whole family visa. I did enter to Canada as well successfully.

Will keep you updated and best wishes for you all.

Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mithu124 said:
Dear all,

Just to update you all, to my well wishers and who helped me to get all the information's regarding the medical matter of my son, I have received my study permit including my whole family visa. I did enter to Canada as well successfully.

Will keep you updated and best wishes for you all.

Thanks.
That's good to hear :)

rish1603

Star Member
May 22, 2015
You can apply for A health care insurance which will cover any kind of costs, visits to doctors or any prescription drugs. I can guide you on the same and help you in this. Let me know if you want to know more and we can speak over the phone.

deepti12347

Dec 21, 2018
Hi sir great to hear you got ur visa.....many congratulations !!!!!!
Sir I myself having epilepsy am I eligibile to apply....I am seizure free from 6-7 years not a single episode.....now I want to give myself a chance and become independent and start my life plz guide me.... should I study or go for job I am 33 single... or give me where can I contact to get proper info..in Mumbai.. thanks:)