+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry Visa expired - Work permit isn't

bakpau

Nov 16, 2010
Hi Guys,

Question about Work Permit vs Entry VISA:
I am currently working under Post-Graduation Work permit expire June 2011, but student Visa (the one I got to enter Canada as a student before) already expire 2 years ago. I am under impression that we are legally able to stay in canada only under work permit, and since I was not planning to leave Canada, I didn't extend my VISA at all (since there is no need for me to re-enter Canada).

1. Is my understanding here correct?

Looking at Document Checklist under TRAVEL DOCUMENT OR PASSPORTS, I need to include a copy of my VISA (not work permit) to apply under CEC:
if you live in a country different from your nationality, include a photocopy of your visa for the country where you currently live in

2. Will it affect my application in any way having expired VISA (but have valid Work permit) at this moment?

3. Should I extend my entry VISA first before applying for CEC?
(but isn't that VISA application needs to be done outside Canada? Does this means I have to leave Canada first, get VISA Extension, and get back to Canada to apply under CEC?)

Thank you.

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
14-01-2011, sent 26-01-2011
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
bakpau said:
Hi Guys,

Question about Work Permit vs Entry VISA:
I am currently working under Post-Graduation Work permit expire June 2011, but student Visa (the one I got to enter Canada as a student before) already expire 2 years ago. I am under impression that we are legally able to stay in canada only under work permit, and since I was not planning to leave Canada, I didn't extend my VISA at all (since there is no need for me to re-enter Canada).

1. Is my understanding here correct?

Yes

Looking at Document Checklist under TRAVEL DOCUMENT OR PASSPORTS, I need to include a copy of my VISA (not work permit) to apply under CEC:
if you live in a country different from your nationality, include a photocopy of your visa for the country where you currently live in

You still need to include the copy of the expired visa

2. Will it affect my application in any way having expired VISA (but have valid Work permit) at this moment?I don't think so. What you should be more worried about is the fact that your PGWP expires next June and going by current processing times, your permit could expire before your application is finalized. You would then need to request your employer to apply for a new LMO and apply for a new work permit.

3. Should I extend my entry VISA first before applying for CEC?
(but isn't that VISA application needs to be done outside Canada? Does this means I have to leave Canada first, get VISA Extension, and get back to Canada to apply under CEC?)

You don't necessarily need to extend your visa although it would be ideal if you had a valid visa. Note that you do not need to leave Canada to apply for the visa (TRV). You can mail the application documents to one of the Canadian consulates in the US (Buffalo, Seattle, Detroit, LA...) and they will process and send back the passport with the TRV.
Thank you.

bakpau

Nov 16, 2010
Thank you for your clarification, Essat.

Yes, I am aware of PGWP expire date. I had some problem getting my recent T4 as the Tax Officer decided to hold my latest Tax return for 7 months for "investigation reason" -- Hence I cant apply under CEC until now.
Don't even know why they are hold my file for that long, yet they declare everything I submit originally was correct and release my Notice of Assessment just recently.

It sucks, but what can I do other than waiting? :(

Btw, I heard if my current company can't provide LMO, it will means that I won't be able to work after June 2010 until my application finalized? What are the option here? Apply for Tourist Permit instead of Work Permit extension?
I heard that PGWP cant be extended?

Thanks again for your help!

shaheen

Star Member
Oct 29, 2007
In canada ur valid study permit and after that valid work permit allow u to legally stay in canada, although if u r planning to travel out you will need TRV to re enter canada,ideally u take your TRV from any canadian embassy in US by sending ur passport by post before travelling out or you can also take your TRV if you r travelling ur home country,

and if ur work permit has expired and ur CEC application still not finalized, u will have to shift on TRV(Take TRV) in order to maitain ur legall status.

brightmind96

Mar 9, 2011
Can somebody help me??
I have a valid study permit but my visa has expired. I need to go abroad and come back to canada, how can I extend my visa ( please give me an address)?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
brightmind96 said:
Can somebody help me??
I have a valid study permit but my visa has expired. I need to go abroad and come back to canada, how can I extend my visa ( please give me an address)?
You can't extend it. You must apply for a new one either in your country of residence or to the consulate closest to you.

AngadTaneja

Dec 23, 2016
Hello guys,

My VISA has expired but Work Permit is still valid until June 14, 2017.

I recently applied for Bridging Open Work Permit on May 18, 2017.

I want to know if I should I apply for VISA right now or later? Also, if I should apply for it how should I proceed with the application?

All suggestions are welcomed and will be helpful.

Please advise one and all!

Many Thanks.

AngadTaneja

Dec 23, 2016
Hello guys,

My VISA has expired but Work Permit is still valid until June 14, 2017.

I recently applied for Bridging Open Work Permit on May 18, 2017.

I want to know if I should I apply for VISA right now or later? Also, if I should apply for it how should I proceed with the application?

All suggestions are welcomed and will be helpful.

Please advise one and all!

Many Thanks.