Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Flag-Polling
- Trip around the flagpole-Canada.
- Is it permitted?
- What is it all about?

Overview

A trip around the flagpole, or "Flag-Polling", as we often hear in the forums, mean driving from a/ny location in Canada to the Canada-US border - Xing the Canadian side - turning around, before going thru the US Border Post - and ReEntering Canada imdtly - then meeting a BSO at the Canadian Border Post to validate/activate our PR visa, aka "landing".

It's the same procedure as we would undergo while we flew to Canada, landed at an airport, and went through the immigration there. However, if we're already in Canada [as a visitor, or on TWP, and we receive the 'stamped' PR visa], we've to create an artificial situation in which we exit/enter Canada in order to get the necessary stamps, 'landing'.

Is it allowed?

Yes & No.
No, 'coz prior to 2004, Canadian & US Border Officers usually allowed people to return to Canada before arriving at the US border post. Yes, 'coz since 2004, policy began to change and it became necessary to either be formally admitted to the US (as evidenced by an I-94 or I-94W form issued by the Americans), Or be given a formal "refusal of admission" by the Americans. Thus, actually it is still allowed & is prevalent.

The Procedure for Flag-Polling

The simplest way is to leave Canada, visit the US, and then return to Canada. This'd only apply if we had a US tourist visa, or are admissible to the US under the Visa Waiver program [or if we r a US citizen or otherwise don't need a visa].

However, if we aren't either of those, then the procedure is mentioned below:
a) Keep your COPR, Passports & other IDs on person [everyone's in the car];
b) Exit thru the Canadian Border Post;
c) Drive along to the US side;
d) Enter the US Border Post;
e) Seek a US Tourist visa;
f) Either u'd be offered the visa or be 'refused';
g) If obtained the visa - drive along - do some shopping [if u do not intend spending the night/s] & return;
h) Visit the US Border Officer, get the I-94 revalidated & leave for Canada;
j) Meet a BSO at the Canadian Border Post, indicate that u have 'flag-polled' & r now 'landing';
k) Rest of the procedures/paper work remain the same as described in my 'landing thread';
l) Drive on to your home.
m) U r a PR [erstwhile 'landed immigrant'] now!!!

NOTE:
- US border officials may not like the idea of someone arriving in the US & leaving imdtly.
- It is thus, important to have a plan for what u intend to do in the US [shopping, sightseeing etc].
- There is nothing illegal about visiting the US with an intention to 'switch' to a different status in Canada on return.
- U do not have to 'volunteer' this information to US border officials, but u should tell the truth if enquired.
- There is no fundamental difference between crossing the land border or taking a flight to the US for a vacation.
- To the US, it really doesn't matter if Canada don't let u return - 'coz, they can always send u back to the country of your nationality.
- When u return to Canada, make sure u give the Canadian officials your US I-94/I-94W forms.
- They are supposed to return them to the US, to show that you have left the US.
- If being "refused entry" to the US - no issues - just obtain the refusal document. Which you can present to the Canadian BSOs.
- An US 'refusal of entry' does not "officially" prejudice future entry to the US, but there's always a risk [policy change reasons].
- As the previous 'actual' flag-polling was pretty easier, the current procedures r not...
- We have to meet the US Border Officials, get the paper work done, it's time consuming nowadays.
- We should be prepared for search [especially vehicular] & questioning at both the borders.
- A MRP [Machine Readable Passport] is required to enter the US.
- Make sure your passports are not expired, and will not expire during your intended stay in the US.

Remember:
CIC now allow PR approved applicants to "land" at their office/s, however there is often a waiting list for appointments. Pls read my previous post on the subject.

Hope that helped.

Qorax
You are resourceful Captain

yukon

Apr 6, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Very useful post Qorax, as usual !!

Can you also update your post
A MASTER THREAD of some of my posts here >>>

to include all your recent informative posts so that we still have that one page consisting all the links to these wonderful posts !!
(For easy recall when required !)

Thanks,

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
yukon said:
Very useful post Qorax, as usual !!

Can you also update your post
A MASTER THREAD of some of my posts here >>>

to include all your recent informative posts so that we still have that one page consisting all the links to these wonderful posts !!
(For easy recall when required !)

Thanks,
Thanks.
Yes, I've just asked the Mods to release the 'edit' button for this purpose.

Qorax

omm

Champion Member
Aug 27, 2009
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
usefull Qorax, but I have query on your test "For the vehicle DRIVER.
a) Keep ready your driver's license and registration. If you are driving a rental car, check with the rental company that you are covered by insurance in Canada and that you have in the car adequate documentation for the vehicle.
b) Auto insurance certificate showing you have “liability insurance”. Before entering Canada be sure your auto insurer provides Canadian coverage".

USA inssurance companies generally will covered in the USD$, even all USA state have different coverage plan, so how this US inssurance companies provide coverage in CAD$? lets taek my example I am staying in Massachussets my car inssurance company sure will not provide inssurance coverage in CAD$ when I drive from USA to canada, this state have rules that if you want inssurance than your number plate and registration must be of the MASS state, otherwise no inssurace. my car registration was in california and I move to mass state my inssurance expiered and I apply for renew on same inssurance but I wrote my current address of MASS state instead of California then inssurance company told me if you need inssurance you number plate and registration must be of mass state, and I went to RMV get registered my car then send them the registration uhh then I got inssurance of this state.

so it's confussing text in your main post that coverage part in CAD$.
rest of ok and usefull for many of us.

OMM

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
omm said:
usefull Qorax, but I have query on your test "For the vehicle DRIVER.
a) Keep ready your driver's license and registration. If you are driving a rental car, check with the rental company that you are covered by insurance in Canada and that you have in the car adequate documentation for the vehicle.
b) Auto insurance certificate showing you have “liability insurance”. Before entering Canada be sure your auto insurer provides Canadian coverage".

USA inssurance companies generally will covered in the USD$, even all USA state have different coverage plan, so how this US inssurance companies provide coverage in CAD$? lets taek my example I am staying in Massachussets my car inssurance company sure will not provide inssurance coverage in CAD$ when I drive from USA to canada, this state have rules that if you want inssurance than your number plate and registration must be of the MASS state, otherwise no inssurace. my car registration was in california and I move to mass state my inssurance expiered and I apply for renew on same inssurance but I wrote my current address of MASS state instead of California then inssurance company told me if you need inssurance you number plate and registration must be of mass state, and I went to RMV get registered my car then send them the registration uhh then I got inssurance of this state.

so it's confussing text in your main post that coverage part in CAD$.
rest of ok and usefull for many of us.

OMM
I didn't get the US$ - Cdn$ part in your post - thus, I cannot answer your CAD$ query - Regrets.

Nonetheless, many US insurers either have Canada/Puerto Rico/Mexico clauses imbibed into their policy plans - or we could purchase one separately - for a certain time or as fixed std, as an 'extended coverage' [every provider has that facility].

When I’m Outside the United States?

It all depends on your particular policy. Most insurance companies will only cover you in the continental US. Sometimes they will extend coverage to Canada, Puerto Rico, Alaska, and Hawaii.

Some auto insurance providers to offer international policies. If you are planning on driving outside the US frequently you should either get an auto insurance policy in the appropriate country or get extended coverage from your current provider.

Qorax

zulkfal

Sep 28, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/10/2009
Doc's Request.
15/12/2009
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06/05/2010
IELTS Request
Submitted with Doc's
File Transfer...
22/12/2009
Med's Request
04/05/2011 (Dated: 24/04/2011)
Med's Done....
09/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
25/07/2011
LANDED..........
07-08-2011
thankx Qorax

omm

Champion Member
Aug 27, 2009
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
I didn't get the US$ - Cdn$ part in your post - thus, I cannot answer your CAD$ query - Regrets.

Nonetheless, many US insurers either have Canada/Puerto Rico/Mexico clauses imbibed into their policy plans - or we could purchase one separately - for a certain time or as fixed std, as an 'extended coverage' [every provider has that facility].

When I'm Outside the United States?

It all depends on your particular policy. Most insurance companies will only cover you in the continental US. Sometimes they will extend coverage to Canada, Puerto Rico, Alaska, and Hawaii.

Some auto insurance providers to offer international policies. If you are planning on driving outside the US frequently you should either get an auto insurance policy in the appropriate country or get extended coverage from your current provider.

Qorax
comon Qorax it's basic understanding your post "Entry by Road into canada" so, that the USA applicant enter by road, not asian or rest of continent people can drive and enter into canada to finish landing process, yes H1B visa holder of USA or another non-immigrant status people can land if they got visa from homecountry and enter in USA and drive by road, but they must have on valid status in the USA, by the way I asked my insurance company they told me they not covered for canada , if you leave country then must have to choose canadian inssurance, even the operator told me that I have to terminate my policy before leaving and get Canadian or other inssurance who covered canadian inssuracne too, its rare inssurance companies in my state provide multiple countries inssurance. remember in the USA all state have different rules and plans for inssurance , not for inssurance even for tax , home rental etc.
I hope it will help others to know when they travel and aware about auto inssurance.

OMM

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
omm said:
comon Qorax it's basic understanding your post "Entry by Road into canada" so, that the USA applicant enter by road, not asian or rest of continent people can drive and enter into canada to finish landing process, yes H1B visa holder of USA or another non-immigrant status people can land if they got visa from homecountry and enter in USA and drive by road, but they must have on valid status in the USA, by the way I asked my insurance company they told me they not covered for canada , if you leave country then must have to choose canadian inssurance, even the operator told me that I have to terminate my policy before leaving and get Canadian or other inssurance who covered canadian inssuracne too, its rare inssurance companies in my state provide multiple countries inssurance. remember in the USA all state have different rules and plans for inssurance , not for inssurance even for tax , home rental etc.
I hope it will help others to know when they travel and aware about auto inssurance.

OMM
Driving & Insurance

Driving in Canada is similar to driving in many parts of the United States. Distances and speeds, however, are posted in kilometers per hour and some signs, particularly in Quebec, may only be in French. U.S. driver’s licenses are valid in Canada. Proof of auto insurance is required. U.S. auto insurance is accepted as long as an individual is a tourist in Canada. U.S. insurance firms will issue a Canadian insurance card, which should be obtained and carried prior to driving into Canada. For specific information concerning Canadian driving permits, mandatory insurance and entry regulations, please contact the Canadian National Tourist Organization.

Source: Travel.State.Gov - US Department of State

MrH1B4Canada

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Toledo, OH
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-Jan-2010
Doc's Request.
Sent
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
No, 7 bands
File Transfer...
Buffalo
Med's Request
June 10, 2011
Med's Done....
YES June 25, 2011 , MED.ReCVD July 12, 2011
Interview........
GoodBye
Passport Req..
Sept-22-2011
VISA ISSUED...
yes, dec 01, 2011 but recieved pp on dec 21, 2011
LANDED..........
planed just for landing procedure
Right OMM, some people enter from outside USA and never stay in USA or never purchase US CAR and inssurance or never hold US DL so, they dont know the complete process and about auto inssurance. just they follow some google search --> copy -- > paste, but real experience is the complete clear information.
As I know my inssurance company Progressive is costly and I know this guys also not provide inssurance for US&Canada combo, I called they asked me if you drive >10days outside my state(Calif) then I must have to inform progressive. we plan to move by road then we need to buy canadian inssurance or alternative if some inssurance company provide it , but one important text that at border they never check inssurance, I visited Toronto 1year 4months ago to attend marriage and I drive my car that time I worked in Albany NY, the border security at Buffalo never look or asked my inssurance or even they never look my DL, just my passport , H1B stamp, I797 copy thats it. when I return back after 3days same process nobody check any car and DL or related documents.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Is my U.S. auto insurance coverage valid in Canada?

Ah Canada, our friendly neighbor to the north. With it’s beautiful scenery and amiable inhabitants, it’s no wonder you’ve made it your destination this vacation. Whether you drive your own car over the border, or rent one when you arrive, your American auto insurance coverage typically covers driving in Canada. Of course, it’s always wise to check you personal policy just to make sure. U.S. driver’s licenses are also valid in Canada, provided you’re a resident of the U.S. and just visiting Canada.

When you cross the border, you’ll be asked to show proof of your auto insurance coverage (which you should always keep with you when driving). Don’t let Canada’s friendliness fool you; the country’s driving laws are, in fact, quite strict. If caught driving under the influence, you face exclusion from the country.

For those of you accustomed to city streets and snow-free winters, be advised that Canada often experiences harsh winters that can make road conditions treacherous for unseasoned drivers. In addition, Canada has an abundance of wildlife that roams freely throughout many rural areas of the country. While spotting an elk on the side of the road may complete your vacation photo album, creatures like these can also be the cause of severe and sometimes fatal accidents.

If you do run into any kind of trouble on the road and are a member of the American Automobile Association (AAA), you can contact the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA). The CAA covers AAA members while they're traveling in Canada. Visit their Web site for contact information before you embark on your journey.

If you have any questions concerning auto insurance or other driving regulations in the Canadian provinces, contact the Department of Transport, Motor Vehicle Division of the province(s) you will be visiting or the nearest Canadian consulate. Canadian consular offices are located in many large American cities and can answer your auto insurance and driving regulation questions.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Quoted from: http://www.esurance.com/insurance-resources/insurance-in-canada

Apr 6, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Canadian Residents Becoming a PR "within Canada"

One doesn't really require to "Flag-Pole" nowadays... we could 'validate' our PRVs "in Canada" itself:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7.9. Becoming a permanent resident
To become a permanent resident, any foreign national outside Canada needs to present their permanent resident visa at a port of entry to Canada. However, applicants whose permanent resident visa is issued while they are in Canada with a valid temporary resident status may:

Contact the Call Centre to request an appointment at a local CIC office to become a permanent resident at that location; or
Leave Canada and become a permanent resident upon re-entry to Canada at a port of entry.

NOTE:
Please note that if you are already in Canada and have a valid temporary resident status, you now have the option of obtaining your permanent resident status in Canada as opposed to leaving Canada and re-entering at a port of entry. [For this purpose] Please contact CIC's Call Centre at 1 888 242-2100 as soon as possible to arrange an appointment with the Citizenship and Immigration office nearest to your place of residence. (You cannot call this number if you are outside Canada.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quoted from:
- OP7(B)
- Operational Bulletin 076

@ Zulkfal
About "Flag-Polling" in the next post.

Qorax
Dear Qorax,

We are currently in Canada under work permits and will be applying for PR (FSW2, I believe, is for "arranged employment") in about a month, so this is wonderful information - as is SO much of the information you share here. ;D

I notice that the webpage for Operational Bulletin 076 states that it is "expired". The bulletin is easily retrievable if one goes to the CIC website and does a search for "Operational Bulletin 076", but I cannot put the link to it in my reply.

Friends of ours from the U.S., who now live north of Toronto near Lake Simcoe, just received their P.R. visas under Canadian Experience Class. However, they were unable to make a local appointment to "land" - instead, they were told they MUST travel to the consulate in Buffalo for their passport processing and then MUST "land" when they returned to Canada later that day.

They did so successfully, but this makes me wonder if this "expired" information has, indeed, "expired"?

Thank you!

Mike

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
SouthernAmerican said:
Dear Qorax,

We are currently in Canada under work permits and will be applying for PR (FSW2, I believe, is for "arranged employment") in about a month, so this is wonderful information - as is SO much of the information you share here. ;D

I notice that the webpage for Operational Bulletin 076 states that it is "expired". The bulletin is easily retrievable if one goes to the CIC website and does a search for "Operational Bulletin 076", but I cannot put the link to it in my reply.

Friends of ours from the U.S., who now live north of Toronto near Lake Simcoe, just received their P.R. visas under Canadian Experience Class. However, they were unable to make a local appointment to "land" - instead, they were told they MUST travel to the consulate in Buffalo for their passport processing and then MUST "land" when they returned to Canada later that day.

They did so successfully, but this makes me wonder if this "expired" information has, indeed, "expired"?

Thank you!

Mike
Sir,

The 'page' might have -- but the 'information' hasn't expired.

Thanks for the pointer towards its retrieval.
Qorax

2010 Jan

Jan 25, 2010
Hi All

I recently drove from USA to Canada.

1) Day 1: Drove from NYC to Buffalo. Stayed at a motel.
2) Day 2: BE CAREFUL WHILE CROSSING THE BORDER, DO NOT TAKE A CHANCE, I KNOW SOME HORROR STORIES.
2.1) Take Highway I 190
2.2) You have to cross border from Lewiston Queenston bridge, do not try to cross border using other bridges.
2.3) Just few feets away from the bridge, you HAVE TO NOTICE, US immigration. DRIVE SLOW, if you MISS IT, YOU CANNOT COME BACK TO USA IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ENTRY PERMIT TO USA., Drive on the left lane, In the first post by QORAX, THERE IS A PICTURE, THAT IS NOT A CORRECT PICTURE BUT THE SIGN BOARD IS SIMILAR, IT IS NOT IN GREEN WITH WHITE LETTERS, IT IS ELECTRIC SIGN BOARD WITH RED LETTERS. AGAIN TELLING YOU PEOPLE DRIVE SLOW, DO NOT MISS US IMMIGRATION ON THE LEFT SIDE, IF YOU MISS IT, YOU ARE IN TROUBLE. MAKE ALL DOUBTS CLEAR, USE WIKIMAPIA NOT GOOGLE MAP, WIKIMAPIA GIVES YOU MORE CLEAR PICTURE THAN GOOGLE MAP. YOU WON'T FIND THE US IMMIGRATION ADDRESS IN GPS.

3) Park your car inside the US immigration, and find the Vehicle export office there, ask any police officer there, they will show you.
4) Give the documents whatever they ask, I am sure you will travel with all necessary documents.
5) Once everything is done, go to Tim Hortons, relax and say bye bye to Uncle Sam.
7) Now follow the road going to Canada, you will be stopped at Canada Border.
8) Give all papers whatever they ask and pay toll.
9) They will tell you to go to another office to fill up Form 2 for vehicle import.
10) Park your car go inside
11) Again finish paper works regarding your vehicle and goods you have carried and goods to follow.
12) I had initially landed in Sep 2010, forgot to bring the list of items and goods to follow list, they asked me why I did not produce that list before, my answer was I did not intend to stay for a long that time.
13) They stamped the goods list and gave me the Form 2 with stamps and everything
14) There is no number 6.
15) You must have gone up to make sure now smile you are already in Canada.

Thanks

Jenny parsely

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Can I select 1st option if I have applied for PR from outland file (buffalo) & living in canada on visitor visa.

Please advise. thanks

qorax said:
Canadian Residents Becoming a PR "within Canada"

One doesn't really require to "Flag-Pole" nowadays... we could 'validate' our PRVs "in Canada" itself:
7.9. Becoming a permanent resident
To become a permanent resident, any foreign national outside Canada needs to present their permanent resident visa at a port of entry to Canada. However, applicants whose permanent resident visa is issued while they are in Canada with a valid temporary resident status may:

Contact the Call Centre to request an appointment at a local CIC office to become a permanent resident at that location; or
Leave Canada and become a permanent resident upon re-entry to Canada at a port of entry.

NOTE:
Please note that if you are already in Canada and have a valid temporary resident status, you now have the option of obtaining your permanent resident status in Canada as opposed to leaving Canada and re-entering at a port of entry. [For this purpose] Please contact CIC's Call Centre at 1 888 242-2100 as soon as possible to arrange an appointment with the Citizenship and Immigration office nearest to your place of residence. (You cannot call this number if you are outside Canada.)

Quoted from:
- OP7(B)
- Operational Bulletin 076

@ Zulkfal
About "Flag-Polling" in the next post.

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Jenny parsely said:
Can I select 1st option if I have applied for PR from outland file (buffalo) & living in canada on visitor visa.

Please advise. thanks
Yes.
If u r legally residing in Canada - u could take the CIC appointment route.