+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driver's License - Driving Credit

frono

Nov 29, 2012
Hello All,

I tried obtaining a driver's license today. I obtained certified driver's record translated and this along with my license. I went to the DriveTest Centre to apply to driving credit since I have been driving since 2011. They told me to I cannot get credit because I have an International License not a National License.

This has me really confused since BOTH licenses were issued and produced by the same agency and government. All the explanation I get from them is "We do not accept International Licenses." However, this is not enough of an explanation for us. Has anyone have this problem before? What I have its not an International Driving Permit. It is an International Driver's License from my home country.

What's frustrating is that I went to them, I did what they asked and at the end of the day they said NO, for a technicality. Does anyone have enough experience or information to help me understand what went wrong?

I will really appreciate any response or help towards this case.

Thank you.

TLOU

Dec 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2017
Hello All,

I tried obtaining a driver's license today. I obtained certified driver's record translated and this along with my license. I went to the DriveTest Centre to apply to driving credit since I have been driving since 2011. They told me to I cannot get credit because I have an International License not a National License.

This has me really confused since BOTH licenses were issued and produced by the same agency and government. All the explanation I get from them is "We do not accept International Licenses." However, this is not enough of an explanation for us. Has anyone have this problem before? What I have its not an International Driving Permit. It is an International Driver's License from my home country.

What's frustrating is that I went to them, I did what they asked and at the end of the day they said NO, for a technicality. Does anyone have enough experience or information to help me understand what went wrong?

I will really appreciate any response or help towards this case.

Thank you.
You are required to provide your LOCAL driving license from your home country, not the international driving license. Those 2 are different documents. To get proper driving credits, you also need to provide a reference letter from the license office in your country that provides proof that your LOCAL driving license is genuine.

frono

Nov 29, 2012
You are required to provide your LOCAL driving license from your home country, not the international driving license. Those 2 are different documents. To get proper driving credits, you also need to provide a reference letter from the license office in your country that provides proof that your LOCAL driving license is genuine.
So, even though the international license I currently have was issued by the local government? Not an outside entity or corporation, it's of no worth?

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
So, even though the international license I currently have was issued by the local government? Not an outside entity or corporation, it's of no worth?
It is still not a local driving license. They do not care who issued it.
Remember you are dealing with the government. The agents have to follow the written rules.
Any issue in getting the local driving license from your country?

frono

Nov 29, 2012
It is still not a local driving license. They do not care who issued it.
Remember you are dealing with the government. The agents have to follow the written rules.
Any issue in getting the local driving license from your country?
It's sooooo difficult for me to do that whole process. I'm from a third world country, things there run slow, unorganized with lots of problems. I've already spent about $400 trying to get the right documents! I thought I had them but now it turns out I've been doing it all wrong. Good thing I was following the drive test center website, not!! So now I'm screwed because of the info they gave me after spending so much money! And what doesn't make sense is that the driving record I've provided has my Local license information, certified and stamped!

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well you have 2 choices:
1. try to get your local driving licence from home together with proof of driving experience
2. Forget about it and got for the step by step driving licence with all the waiting periods.

Up to you what is better for you.

Kushal_75

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Pretoria, South Africa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23/06/2015
Doc's Request.
11/05/2016 & 8/06/2016
Nomination.....
13/06/2016
AOR Received.
ITA on 15.06.2016
IELTS Request
Done before creating EE profile
File Transfer...
Uploaded on 28.07.2016
Med's Request
Done before uploading file
Med's Done....
Done on 23.06.2016 - passed
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi,
As the members have advised you, you must have your original driving license from your country. If you have been driving since 2011, then guess you already have it. You don't need to spend any extra money to get it!!!! Y didn't you bring your driving license? The international one is just a translation of your license in different languages - it works together with your local license which is more important.

Best of luck.
K

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
It's sooooo difficult for me to do that whole process. I'm from a third world country, things there run slow, unorganized with lots of problems. I've already spent about $400 trying to get the right documents! I thought I had them but now it turns out I've been doing it all wrong. Good thing I was following the drive test center website, not!! So now I'm screwed because of the info they gave me after spending so much money! And what doesn't make sense is that the driving record I've provided has my Local license information, certified and stamped!
Nowhere on the DriveTest website does it say that you are supposed to bring your international drivers licence. It says you should bring your drivers licence. I get your frustration and we are here to help, but it's hard to help you if you are so convinced it is them who made the mistake, not you. This is not the case. You need your drivers licence. As the others already explained.

sandy01

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
Hi Friends,

Does anyone have a sample of 'Reference letter' which we have to obtain from our local Driver Licence Authority??

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Hi Friends,

Does anyone have a sample of 'Reference letter' which we have to obtain from our local Driver Licence Authority??
I think for each country it is different, you need to contact your driver license authority to get it, it is not for you to give them a sample to use.