+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Doing It Right - Marrying Canadian Citizen

bundori

Star Member
Aug 24, 2007
I am confused and wondering if anyone can help me with their expert advise.

As a US CITIZEN I would like to spend time with my girlfriend in Canada for up to 6 months. Do I need any documentation? My understanding has been no because US CITIZEN can have up to six months IN CANADA without documentations and would be considered legal. Is this a correct assumption?

As love is blind, what happens If I decide to marry her in Canada during the 6 months period? When we get the marriage certificate, how soon after that can we apply for spousal sponsorship from within Canada. Is there any time requirement that you must have known each other before you marry her, so as to not run in to "time delays" and even denials during the application process?

After I submitted the application for spousal sponsorship, what do WE need to do to prepare for the rest of the process?
I read through the forum that this process takes about 44 days and yet I read this process is taking 9 months to a year? What is the timeline?

If we start the sponsorship process, but the application takes more than 4 months to process, and I've almost exhausted the 6 months period, what do I do? Do I need to apply for extension for temporary stay?

God forbid, but if I have a need to go back to my city in the US due to personal emergency after I submitted my application for permanent residency via spousal sponsorship, my understanding is that the process may have to start all over again. Do they make exceptions for those who seriously have to go back for a short period of time?

At what point do I or my girlfriend need to provide proof of funding for support? Can anyone clarify that?

Now the most important thing is.... work................
If I am on visitor's only.................... I can't look for a job? or yes?
If yes, then if an employer hires me, I still need a work permit or not; given I have work experience in retirement home, marketing or activities, hotel, or property management or general sales. My question is that specific because there are those that need work permits and there are those that don't need it. If no, I can not look for a job until CIC issue one, how long does that take? Bottom line, I just want to get a feel of how long I can be expected to be without a job?

Is a medical required for the sponsored to be finalized and accepted for PR? If so, can this be done ahead of time and where?

I know all these questions are on the internet somewhere, but consolidating these answers directly relating to the questions from an expert or from ones with experience will help.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL THE HAIR LOSS THIS FORUM WILL SAVE.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
bundori said:
I am confused and wondering if anyone can help me with their expert advise.

As a US CITIZEN I would like to spend time with my girlfriend in Canada for up to 6 months. Do I need any documentation? My understanding has been no because US CITIZEN can have up to six months IN CANADA without documentations and would be considered legal. Is this a correct assumption?

It depends on how long the IO at the Port of Entry admits you. For 6 months, you require the ability to maintain yourself in Canada.

As love is blind, what happens If I decide to marry her in Canada during the 6 months period? When we get the marriage certificate, how soon after that can we apply for spousal sponsorship from within Canada. Is there any time requirement that you must have known each other before you marry her, so as to not run in to "time delays" and even denials during the application process?

If you marry, you can apply in-Canada once you have obtained the marriage certificate, criminal records checks, and done the medical, see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

After I submitted the application for spousal sponsorship, what do WE need to do to prepare for the rest of the process?
I read through the forum that this process takes about 44 days and yet I read this process is taking 9 months to a year? What is the timeline?

If you apply in-Canada through Vegreville it takes 6/7 months to receive approval in Principle, during which time you can neither work nor attend school. If you apply as an outside applicant (though you can remain in Canada) the sponsorship takes 44 days at Mississauga for either approval or refusal of the sponsorship and then averages 3-12 months at Buffalo. Again you cannot work or attend school without a work permit or study permit.

If we start the sponsorship process, but the application takes more than 4 months to process, and I've almost exhausted the 6 months period, what do I do? Do I need to apply for extension for temporary stay?

You have to apply for an extension at Vegreville.

God forbid, but if I have a need to go back to my city in the US due to personal emergency after I submitted my application for permanent residency via spousal sponsorship, my understanding is that the process may have to start all over again. Do they make exceptions for those who seriously have to go back for a short period of time?

There is no guarantee that you would be re-admitted to Canada as a visitor, in that case the application will have to be re-submitted if you apply in Canada.

At what point do I or my girlfriend need to provide proof of funding for support? Can anyone clarify that?

When she submits the sponsorship, although she doesn't have to meet the Low INcome Cutoff Figure (LICO) she still has to complete the financial evaluation. She cannot be on public assistance, except for disability, she cannot be an undischarged bankrupt and she cannot have sponsored a spouse in the previous 3 years.

Now the most important thing is.... work................
If I am on visitor's only.................... I can't look for a job? or yes?

You can look , but you can't work.

If yes, then if an employer hires me, I still need a work permit or not; given I have work experience in retirement home, marketing or activities, hotel, or property management or general sales. My question is that specific because there are those that need work permits and there are those that don't need it. If no, I can not look for a job until CIC issue one, how long does that take? Bottom line, I just want to get a feel of how long I can be expected to be without a job?

Unless you have specific skills that a employer requires and is willing to apply for a Labour Market Opinion from HRSDC that there are no Canadians or PRs available for the job and they have advertised widely (takes 8-20 weeks) you aren't going to be working until you receive Approval in Principle (AIP) for an In-Canada application (6-7 months) and then you can apply for an Open Work Permit (OWP). The OWP application should be submitted with the fee to Vegreville with the sponsorship. Or until you are landed as a PR.

Is a medical required for the sponsored to be finalized and accepted for PR? If so, can this be done ahead of time and where?

It is to be submitted with the application and the sponsorship. Don't forget you will require a FBI fingerprint check as well, which is taking 12-16 weeks to be submitted with the application. Also CIC may request state clearances.

I know all these questions are on the internet somewhere, but consolidating these answers directly relating to the questions from an expert or from ones with experience will help.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL THE HAIR LOSS THIS FORUM WILL SAVE.
PMM

bundori

Star Member
Aug 24, 2007
Dear PMM

Thank you so much for your responses. I am a little bit confused still and want to know if you or anyone can help me clarify some responses

”It (medical)is to be submitted with the application and the sponsorship. Don't forget you will require a FBI fingerprint check as well, which”h is taking 12-16 weeks to be submitted with the application. Also CIC may request state clearances.”

1. Can you verify how to get this done? The impression I received from the internet was that I would receive instructions on how and when and where to get the medical done when I am instructed to? Because the information from the medical will be sent to the cic instead of myself.. Is the procedure about getting the medical completed prior to submitting the application included in the application kit hence I am not waiting for instruction AFTER I submit my application?

As far as the lack of criminal record goes, From what I gather, I should obtain the form from the application kit, and go to a local police department with the letter (form from the application kit) and tell them I need finger prints for the purpose of Canadian immigration purposes. they will then finger print me, and after I receive the finger prints on the card, I should mail that to the address in West Virginia so they will mail the results to me in 12-16 weeks so I can include it in my application? Are the blank FBI Fingerprint cards included in the application kit?

What happens next after I have received AIP (Approval in principle) when can I apply or receive OWP? How long more do I have to wait after the aip for an open work permit or being granted permanent residency?

Just to make sure, is it ok to apply for a work permit if I have an employer that would hire me base on the requirements they have met such as the time the job had been advertised etc? and if that does clear, does that effect my spousal sponsorship application in any way?

thank you so much in advance to answer my questions again. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

bundori said:
Dear PMM

Thank you so much for your responses. I am a little bit confused still and want to know if you or anyone can help me clarify some responses

”It (medical)is to be submitted with the application and the sponsorship. Don't forget you will require a FBI fingerprint check as well, which”h is taking 12-16 weeks to be submitted with the application. Also CIC may request state clearances.”

1. Can you verify how to get this done? The impression I received from the internet was that I would receive instructions on how and when and where to get the medical done when I am instructed to? Because the information from the medical will be sent to the cic instead of myself.. Is the procedure about getting the medical completed prior to submitting the application included in the application kit hence I am not waiting for instruction AFTER I submit my application?

Spousal sponsorships the medical and criminal records are submitted up front with the application. Please read the guide:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5289E.PDF page 30.

As far as the lack of criminal record goes, From what I gather, I should obtain the form from the application kit, and go to a local police department with the letter (form from the application kit) and tell them I need finger prints for the purpose of Canadian immigration purposes. they will then finger print me, and after I receive the finger prints on the card, I should mail that to the address in West Virginia so they will mail the results to me in 12-16 weeks so I can include it in my application? Are the blank FBI Fingerprint cards included in the application kit?

Correct, you can either get the fingerprint cards off the FBI site, or if you are being printed in the US most fingerprinting services have cards in both Canada and the US> Look in the Yellow pages under fingerprinting and ask.

What happens next after I have received AIP (Approval in principle) when can I apply or receive OWP? How long more do I have to wait after the aip for an open work permit or being granted permanent residency?

You include your request for an Open Work Permit with the application, then you will receive once AIP is approved. PR status would 3-6 months after AIP depending if a local interview is required to determine the bona fides of the marriage/relationship.

Just to make sure, is it ok to apply for a work permit if I have an employer that would hire me base on the requirements they have met such as the time the job had been advertised etc? and if that does clear, does that effect my spousal sponsorship application in any way?

No.

thank you so much in advance to answer my questions again. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
PMM

bundori

Star Member
Aug 24, 2007
Hi PMM,

Regarding Open work permit again, I can't locate where in the stack of forms I Can apply for the open work permit at the time of the application and how much to pay or how to pay it. Can you help?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

bundori said:
Hi PMM,

Regarding Open work permit again, I can't locate where in the stack of forms I Can apply for the open work permit at the time of the application and how much to pay or how to pay it. Can you help?

Thanks
If you are applying in-canada spousal, you complete an IMM 1249 to request the open work permit and include the $150 fee.

PMM

Pacionga

Sep 28, 2007
Hallo to everybody!

I have a question for PMM regarding sponsorship within Canada and this matter:

You have to apply for an extension at Vegreville.

Will I receive for sure an extension or it can be denied? And for which reasons? If it is denied should I leave Canada and re-apply from the beginning from my country?
If the process is going to take more time and I need one more extension what happens?

Many thanks for your help!

Lauryn

Aug 16, 2007
i have exactly the same question... what happens if I don't get the extension? and they ask you how long you want the extension for... how long should I say? 6 months?? a year??
Please somebody answer... thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Lauryn said:
i have exactly the same question... what happens if I don't get the extension? and they ask you how long you want the extension for... how long should I say? 6 months?? a year??
Please somebody answer... thanks
You ask for 1 year, if the application is being processed and you are not criminally/medically/security inadmissible it is usually approved.
If there are doubts about the relationship, you probably would be referred to a local office.

PMM

Pacionga

Sep 28, 2007
Thanks so much PMM.

One more thing, I read in another forum something I had never been aware of before.
Do you confirm that there is the possibility to apply from within Canada as it is were an outside application in order to accelerate times?
So in this case, extension would be generally approved if needed (if you are not criminally/medically/security inadmissible)and the only risk is that if you have to be interviewed the interview will take place in your country (Italy in my case)?

Thanks again :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Pacionga said:
Thanks so much PMM.

One more thing, I read in another forum something I had never been aware of before.
Do you confirm that there is the possibility to apply from within Canada as it is were an outside application in order to accelerate times?
So in this case, extension would be generally approved if needed (if you are not criminally/medically/security inadmissible)and the only risk is that if you have to be interviewed the interview will take place in your country (Italy in my case)?

Thanks again :)
1. If you are in Canada applying at an overseas office, ie Rome, the interview would be in Rome. Also there is greater chance that an extension request may be refused as it is your intention to remain permanently in Canada.

PMM