+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do my wife needs to submit tax report ?

sammy_engineer

Aug 11, 2017
Hi we landed at 2015 stayed for 3 weeks and came back . now my wife is pregnant and she would be moving permanently there at next December and I will follow her up later. WILL MY WIFE BE CONSIDERED AS A TAX RESIDENT FOR THE YEAR 2017 ?

She already have a health card but she will use it in december for regular follow ups with her doctor before her expected date which is like 4 months later .

Do we need to submit a tax return or not ?

Thanks all

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi we landed at 2015 stayed for 3 weeks and came back . now my wife is pregnant and she would be moving permanently there at next December and I will follow her up later. WILL MY WIFE BE CONSIDERED AS A TAX RESIDENT FOR THE YEAR 2017 ?

She already have a health card but she will use it in december for regular follow ups with her doctor before her expected date which is like 4 months later .

Thanks all
Which province is she moving to?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Alberta , is there a difference ?
For healthcare, yes. She was not eligible for health coverage when she initially came to Canada, as she did not meet the residency requirement, so if she used AHCIP in those 3 weeks, that was healthcare fraud. She was also required to inform AHCIP when she left Canada, which I'm guessing didn't happen.

She needs to inform them now that she no longer lives in Canada and re-register when she comes here in December.

sammy_engineer

Aug 11, 2017
For healthcare, yes. She was not eligible for health coverage when she initially came to Canada, as she did not meet the residency requirement, so if she used AHCIP in those 3 weeks, that was healthcare fraud. She was also required to inform AHCIP when she left Canada, which I'm guessing didn't happen.

She needs to inform them now that she no longer lives in Canada and re-register when she comes here in December.
I already know that , that is the reason she is going more than 3 months before the pregnancy date so she could apply for a new coverage , but really my question was about the tax issue not the health coverage !

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
I already know that , that is the reason she is going more than 3 months before the pregnancy date so she could apply for a new coverage , but really my question was about the tax issue not the health coverage !
Is she going to leave afterwards? Isn't she going to move permanently? You've already been out of the country for almost two years. Aren't you risking not meeting your residency obligations? Technically she'll be residing now so I guess yeah she'll have to file returns.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013

Thanks all
Whether you submit a tax return for 2017 depends on whether she will have income in Canada or not. If she won't, she doesn't need to file, but it may help her eligibility for benefits.

You should be aware that you will likely become a tax resident by virtue of your wife living in Canada and availing public benefits. As a result, your global income will be subject to Canadian taxation, so you will likely have a file a return here as well.

sammy_engineer

Aug 11, 2017
Hi

Actually she is plannaing to stay permanantly and i will follow her up after 2 months , she will not have any income in canada for now

sammy_engineer

Aug 11, 2017
Whether you submit a tax return for 2017 depends on whether she will have income in Canada or not. If she won't, she doesn't need to file, but it may help her eligibility for benefits.

You should be aware that you will likely become a tax resident by virtue of your wife living in Canada and availing public benefits. As a result, your global income will be subject to Canadian taxation, so you will likely have a file a return here as well.
Thanks torontostorm you actually flipped my way of thinking ! So are you saying that if she only lives in december 2017 in canada and she does not have an income then she do not need to file ? But you mention tat if we file tax report as zero then we will get money!

Regarding my case i will also move at feb/2018 so do you mean i have to pay tax on my global income for only january or for the 2017 year !

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks torontostorm you actually flipped my way of thinking ! So are you saying that if she only lives in december 2017 in canada and she does not have an income then she do not need to file ? But you mention tat if we file tax report as zero then we will get money!

Regarding my case i will also move at feb/2018 so do you mean i have to pay tax on my global income for only january or for the 2017 year !

Thanks
Filing zero on a tax return does not mean you will get money.To receive any money in Canada, you will be required to fill out forms declaring your foreign income, which will be used to calculate any benefit amount.

You don't pay tax in Canada on income earned while you are not a resident for tax purposes.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013

Thanks
As Canuck_in_the_UK mentioned, she won't automatically be eligible to receive money unless she actually needs it (i.e., has a low global income). She will have to declare what her household's earnings were in 2017 from all sources, and that will determine her benefits for the next year.

As for you, you will effectively become a tax resident the day your spouse moves to Canada. So, you will have to pay tax on your income from the date she moves (i.e., Dec. 2017 onwards).

sammy_engineer

Aug 11, 2017
As Canuck_in_the_UK mentioned, she won't automatically be eligible to receive money unless she actually needs it (i.e., has a low global income). She will have to declare what her household's earnings were in 2017 from all sources, and that will determine her benefits for the next year.

As for you, you will effectively become a tax resident the day your spouse moves to Canada. So, you will have to pay tax on your income from the date she moves (i.e., Dec. 2017 onwards).
Thanks

My question is do me and my wife need to file tax or not for the 2017 , she would be living only for december while i will land feb 2017 ,

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Thanks

My question is do me and my wife need to file tax or not for the 2017 , she would be living only for december while i will land feb 2017 ,
Yes, if you or your wife are living in Canada for any part of 2017, you should file taxes. If she doesn't have any income, then she is not obligated to. But, if you are earning, you must, even if you are living overseas.

sammy_engineer

Aug 11, 2017
Thanks for replying , so are u saying that i should file and pay taxes for a whole year on my global income because my wife lived in canada for december while my wife does not have to because she has no income in canada !

Yes, if you or your wife are living in Canada for any part of 2017, you should file taxes. If she doesn't have any income, then she is not obligated to. But, if you are earning, you must, even if you are living overseas.