+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent visa for spouse when husband is on work permit

Esha T

Mar 1, 2013
My husband stays in Canada and is about to receive his work permit in a month after successfully completing his PGDBM (2 yrs course). I need to file for my dependent visa. When is the right time to apply (like after he finds a job) and how much processing time does this kind of application take?

dearmitul

Feb 24, 2013
U can apply for open work permit instead of dependent visa and u can get same validity as your husband's work permit. Also you dont need to show any employment in Canada because its an open work permit. If your husband job is under NOC 0, A or B and its full time permanent job than for sure you will get visa. In my view better first let him find a job in his field of study and within couple of months after working go for it. Right now the processing time for OWP is around 2 months and it worth wait as less chance of rejection.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask me.

Thanks and Good Luck

Reactions: jisanmahfuz

Esha T

Mar 1, 2013
Thank you for replying!

I already had applied for OWP last October (2012) but my application was denied In fact my application for visitor visa which i applied for in May 2012 was also denied.
I am not sure when and how I should apply again to make sure there is no more denial.
And I have every reason to believe that 2 times denials would mean that I might not be granted permission next time also and it may affect my entry into Canada. Please let me know if this actually is true!
The reasons cited for these denials are not good enough. I have absolute clean records and have always been a more than average student.
Please guide me so as to how should proceed?
Many Thanks!

Esha T

Mar 1, 2013
Hi dearmitul,

There seems to b some goof up with my inbox!
Can u pls share ur email id?

Thnx
Esha

krithika

Star Member
Aug 10, 2012
Hi dearmitul,

What is the procedure,documents and link to apply for spousal open work permit from inside canada via online ?

Thanks.
Krithika

mapleplease

Star Member
Feb 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2014
AOR Received.
09-09-2014
Med's Request
09-09-2014
Med's Done....
14-09-2014
Passport Req..
12-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
WAITING
LANDED..........
WAITING (Already in Canada)
Register yourself here and then login: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/my_application/apply_online.asp

Once logged in, choose Work Permit. While filling the application, there should be a field where you can select Open Work Permit. Good luck!

Maling

Jan 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi (online)
NOC Code......
N/A (SOWP)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-12-2013
AOR Received.
26-12-2013
Med's Request
N/A
dearmitul said:
U can apply for open work permit instead of dependent visa and u can get same validity as your husband's work permit. Also you dont need to show any employment in Canada because its an open work permit. If your husband job is under NOC 0, A or B and its full time permanent job than for sure you will get visa. In my view better first let him find a job in his field of study and within couple of months after working go for it. Right now the processing time for OWP is around 2 months and it worth wait as less chance of rejection.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask me.

Thanks and Good Luck
Hi, what about if my noc code is C? Can I also apply for my wife and 1child? Im working as retail sales representative. If possible, when can i apply for them. Thanks

dearmitul

Feb 24, 2013
Maling said:
Hi, what about if my noc code is C? Can I also apply for my wife and 1child? Im working as retail sales representative. If possible, when can i apply for them. Thanks
Typically, your spouse’s eligibility for an open work permit depends on the skill level of your job. If the job you are doing is listed as a National Occupational Classification (NOC) 0, A or B, your spouse or common-law partner could be eligible for an open work permit. You must also be authorized to work in Canada for a period of at least six months.

If you are working in an occupation that requires a lower level of formal training, your spouse may also be eligible for an open work permit through an active pilot project.

That means your job as retail sales representative is not included and you are not eligible for applying in this category.

Thanks.

mannual

Nov 24, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI forum member,
i ve some question regarding spousal open work permit and dependent visa.
1. My spouse lives in Philippines how she gets Dubai police report and how long time takes? her relatives lives in Dubai.
2. As i work full time skill worker in Canada, how much funds available i need to show to sponsor both of them [wife and 1 year baby]?
Please senior advice highly appreciate .kindly response in English

dearmitul

Feb 24, 2013
mannual said:
HI forum member,
i ve some question regarding spousal open work permit and dependent visa.
1. My spouse lives in Philippines how she gets Dubai police report and how long time takes? her relatives lives in Dubai.
2. As i work full time skill worker in Canada, how much funds available i need to show to sponsor both of them [wife and 1 year baby]?
Please senior advice highly appreciate .kindly response in English
I don't know the answer for question 1.

For fund available its not necessary to have lot money as your balance in bank. Even total 3000$ to 5000$ in enough. The reason is they are giving Visa to your spouse and baby because of your work permit so fund doesn't effect that much. Also work permit for your spouse shows that she is going to work and take care of her own expensive after coming to Canada.

mannual

Nov 24, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dearmitul said:
I don't know the answer for question 1.

For fund available its not necessary to have lot money as your balance in bank. Even total 3000$ to 5000$ in enough. The reason is they are giving Visa to your spouse and baby because of your work permit so fund doesn't effect that much. Also work permit for your spouse shows that she is going to work and take care of her own expensive after coming to Canada.
sounds good

kathcaspe

Star Member
Mar 29, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I've got my skilled work permit last Jan 24. And now I'm planning to sponsor my husband for spousal visa. What should I need to do? And he is in the Philippines. WHat are the requirements for him to accomplish so that He can file before July 2013 because based on the website cic that the spousal visa is until July 21, 2012.

Please help me to this matter.. God Bless us All!

Many Thanks,

Kath

rizwan033

Mar 30, 2013
dearmitul said:
Typically, your spouse's eligibility for an open work permit depends on the skill level of your job. If the job you are doing is listed as a National Occupational Classification (NOC) 0, A or B, your spouse or common-law partner could be eligible for an open work permit. You must also be authorized to work in Canada for a period of at least six months.

If you are working in an occupation that requires a lower level of formal training, your spouse may also be eligible for an open work permit through an active pilot project.

That means your job as retail sales representative is not included and you are not eligible for applying in this category.

Thanks.
Hii
Was going through the forums, had an eye on this post and was wondering
If a foreign worker as Sales Representative worked for 3-4 months and later company want to promote him from Sales Rep to Assistant Manager, Can he be able to apply for his wife visa ??
How does it work then... ?? Any Ideas ??
If not then what would b the option for low skilled foreign workers to bring their wives here ?

Thank You....

jisanmahfuz

Jul 20, 2017
Hi, I want to apply for my Wife's open work permit as I am on post graduate Work permit and doing a skilled job for 4 months, but on CIC website says I have to convince Visa officer that we will leave after my work permit expires.But I don't want to write wrong info as I will apply for my PR next year, So what type of letter I should write.
1.Should I write that we intend to settle in Canda as I will apply for PR next year?
2. My wife is a housewife and will be done with her stdy on October this year, will it matter that she does not have any work experience?