+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Delay in getting SIN

ashoksv

Aug 4, 2017
I recently entered Canada on a work permit for my employer. The day I arrived, I went to the Service Canada office nearest to me to get a Social Insurance Number. The person who was doing my application said that the system indicated that additional verification/validation was required, and I would have to fill a form he would fax in. Therefore, I did not get an SIN that day.
I went to the same office the next day to attempt to apply again (to see if things would be different), and a different person helped me, and found the application in the system and said it was already there and I'd just have to wait.
I called the Social Insurance Registry and they told me they had my application, and based on their current backlog it would take about SIX WEEKS to get the number. The agent said that sometimes this happens if CIC doesn't update their records properly, but it's not a big deal, just a matter of time.
Now, I'm fairly lucky that my employer is ok with me working (but I don't get paid until my number comes, and I'll get backpay for all this time), but I'm wondering how normal this is (not getting SIN immediately)? Is there something I need to do with CIC to make sure I get my SIN? Not getting paid isn't great, especially with Vancouver being so expensive, and I really don't want to have an agent tell me that something went wrong and I have to wait even longer for the SIN.

Please advise.

Martin42

Jan 2, 2019
Hi Ashoksv

I'm in the same situation as you how long did it take for you to get you SIN number?

Thanks

Martin

rahul6366

Jul 27, 2017
Hi Ashoksv

Me also in the same situation i have applied on 17 dec but still didnt recieve my sin no....also m waiting for open an bank a/c due to sin issue...when u applir ur sin and when u got pz tell

Martin42

Jan 2, 2019
Hi Martin
When you have applied for ur sin no.
Hi

I applied for my SIN on the 10th October and am still waiting. When I rang the Service Canada office I was told there are a lot of people in the same situation as me. They couldn't tell me when I would receive it.

rahul6366

Jul 27, 2017
Hi

I applied for my SIN on the 10th October and am still waiting. When I rang the Service Canada office I was told there are a lot of people in the same situation as me. They couldn't tell me when I would receive it.
Have u visited service canada again??

Martin42

Jan 2, 2019
Yes I went to a different office but they just told me the same thing that I would get it I just had to wait a while longer.

abhi8700

Jan 11, 2019
Yes, I am also in the same situation. i applied for my Social Insurance Number on 29th of October 2018. They said that it will take 6 weeks and its been 4 months and i haven't received the number till yet. I visit the Service Canada office every week and they say that it will some time. Can anyone suggest me another alternative..

rahul6366

Jul 27, 2017
Are you on work permit????

Yes, I am also in the same situation. i applied for my Social Insurance Number on 29th of October 2018. They said that it will take 6 weeks and its been 4 months and i haven't received the number till yet. I visit the Service Canada office every week and they say that it will some time. Can anyone suggest me another alternative..

Martin42

Jan 2, 2019
I just phoned the Ircc call centre and spoke to someone, they are going send an email to the border crossing where I got my permit issued. So hopefully can have a SIN issued soon.

Bhavi17

Feb 6, 2018
Hi Ashoksv

Me also in the same situation i have applied on 17 dec but still didnt recieve my sin no....also m waiting for open an bank a/c due to sin issue...when u applir ur sin and when u got pz tell
i am in the same situation too. Applied on 17 dec same day but after 2 visits to service canada- Nothing. i had read that there is sometimes error made by the landing officer which can cause this problem. i think if i dont receive it by this week i am going to cbsa office at the airport. Where are you located rahul? we can go together if you are in toronto

Bharath singh

Jan 25, 2019
hi i reached vancouver 22nd dec 2018 and went to apply for sin in service canada on 27th dec, the agent said that here is some problem in my study permit we are unable to do it electronically as immigration people has missed something in my study permit so she made a paper application for me and said i will receive in 1-2 weeks. but i didn't receive it then i called service canada and asked about my status then they said my case is forwarded to immigration office on 15th jan and we are waiting for reply from them, i have called continously to service canada and they are saying same thing from 10 days that i have to wait till they get from immigration office, i am so tensed mow can any one tell me how long does it takes to get sin.