+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CRA ERR041

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Hi,

Just a hopefully helpful FYI for people. After days of attempting to login to the CRA and getting nothing but a ERR041, and not being able to get through on the phone (continually engaged) I got a human being!
Apparently, once you get a new SIN number - you need to re-register with the CRA.

Not a very helpful error message, so thought I'd point it out for any other new immigrants who had an old SIN and now need to re-register.

CanBC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Are you talking about registering online for CRA website (where you check your tax returns and direct deposit)

so you have to register again with the new SIN then

is all the old tax returns from previous years still available to view though?

Reactions: Jalalcananda

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
CanBC said:
Are you talking about registering online for CRA website (where you check your tax returns and direct deposit)

so you have to register again with the new SIN then

is all the old tax returns from previous years still available to view though?
Yes, everything is linked to your new account except that you have to register again (and wait for the online code to be mailed to you).

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Thanks Naheulbeuck. I wondered about the linking.

I need to get this sorted before i go away as I remember it takes a while to arrive in the post.

What a pain!

Reactions: Jalalcananda

CanBC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Naheulbeuck said:
Yes, everything is linked to your new account except that you have to register again (and wait for the online code to be mailed to you).
ok so I contacted CRA about this today and they told me the opposite.

I don't know how you sign in but for me it's just a username and password and the CRA advisor told me once the two SINs are linked so will the account.

I'll have to wait to try it but surely if you are already registered and CRA have linked the SIN...

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
CanBC said:
ok so I contacted CRA about this today and they told me the opposite.
Unless they changed it in the past month (highly unlikely), he gave you inaccurate information, which is not surprising with CRA...

Please let us know if this was changed.

CanBC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
I will check in a month as it will take them a month to change over the SINs

I don't understand why you do need to register but if I do then I'm sure it wont take much time

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
CanBC said:
I will check in a month as it will take them a month to change over the SINs

I don't understand why you do need to register but if I do then I'm sure it wont take much time
It will depend on canada post how long it takes.

When you register your account (which i am quite sure you still need to do when you get a different SIN #), you will be asked for a code to finalize the activation of your online account. This code is sent to you via mail. Usually i'd say it takes approximately a week, 10 days to receive this code (and therefore finalize the registration). If Canada post is on strike by the time you register, who knows how long it will take but that's really a guessing game to know if CP will be on strike.

f1ahmed

Nov 26, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-07-2015
AOR Received.
13-07-2015
Med's Done....
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
30-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2016
LANDED..........
18-02-2016
I will share my experience. I had a temporary SIN starts with 9. When i got my new SIN number, i could not log into my account anymore after filing the tax with new SIN (starts with 5). I had to re register with a new username, password and they mailed the code. After that, it took 6 weeks for them to transfer all my previous 2 years history of tax filing to my new account. All good now.

CanBC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Naheulbeuck said:
It will depend on canada post how long it takes.

When you register your account (which i am quite sure you still need to do when you get a different SIN #), you will be asked for a code to finalize the activation of your online account. This code is sent to you via mail. Usually i'd say it takes approximately a week, 10 days to receive this code (and therefore finalize the registration). If Canada post is on strike by the time you register, who knows how long it will take but that's really a guessing game to know if CP will be on strike.
Love the optimistic attitude on this forum!

CanBC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
f1ahmed said:
I will share my experience. I had a temporary SIN starts with 9. When i got my new SIN number, i could not log into my account anymore after filing the tax with new SIN (starts with 5). I had to re register with a new username, password and they mailed the code. After that, it took 6 weeks for them to transfer all my previous 2 years history of tax filing to my new account. All good now.
Did you have to call them to get them to transfer all your old tax information when you got a new account?

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
f1ahmed said:
This is same as me. From a 9 to a 5 (ON) one.
Hopefully they will get everything transferred!

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
CanBC said:
Love the optimistic attitude on this forum!
Listen you can dislike the realistic attitude but then why come here to ask question about the process if you don't like it when people don't say what you want to hear?

I am not being pessimistic, i just want people to know what the likely process is going to be based on past experiences (and the experiences I know of (all transferred automatically) were not even as bad as the poster above....).
If you do not want to be prepared, then just put your head in the sand and hope for the best, but if you want to be prepared for more likely outcomes, then read this forum and know the likely outcome.

CanBC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Naheulbeuck said:
Listen you can dislike the realistic attitude but then why come here to ask question about the process if you don't like it when people don't say what you want to hear?
I made a comment about it not being a massive issue to register again and the you go on about Canada post and it could take ages blah blah blah! If they strike then they strike then I just wait longer to get it.

I am totally prepared but to be honest seeing as it isn't tax season yet, it isn't going to be my priority to get my CRA account transferred over. I've downloaded and have copies of my NoEs so it isnt a big deal - that is the point I am making.

And I will state the same again - it isn't a big deal to have to re-register!

f1ahmed

Nov 26, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-07-2015
AOR Received.
13-07-2015
Med's Done....
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
30-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2016
LANDED..........
18-02-2016
CanBC said:
Did you have to call them to get them to transfer all your old tax information when you got a new account?
No, they start doing that automatically when you file your tax with the new SIN . Thanks. All you need is to re register with your new SIN number and enter the code sent by CRA. You are good to go.

Reactions: oduvan4ik