+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion between EEBC and SI - International graduate

wongkc987

Sep 19, 2017
Hi all,

I graduated 3 months ago from university in BC. I am looking for information about the way that I can immigrate to Canada. I think I am eligible to apply for international graduate from my research. But I have a few questions.

1) In order to apply for EEBC, I need the IRCC code to process. That means I need to have at least 1 year of work experiences. I want to know whether my 1 year Co-op experiences (paid) in Canada counted as work experiences? Is that eligible for applying express entry?

2) EEBC requires 1 year of experience to obtain the IRCC code but skill immigration does not. One of my co-work is in the process of skill-immigration and he told me the process of that is long (16 months) while express entry takes around 6 months. I have been working for 3 months since I graduate. If I apply for skill immigration now, the estimated finished time will be beginning of 2019. If I apply for express entry in June 2018, it is going to be done in the beginning of 2019 too. Here is the question, can I apply skill immigration now and apply express entry next year? Is there any good reasons to apply one but not the other, such as which one has a higher chances of success?

Thanks in advance for answering

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) No - your co-op work experience cannot be counted. Any work experience gained during your studies or as part of your studies in Canada cannot be counted as work experience towards any immigration program.
2) Yes - you can apply for two different immigration programs at the same time.

wongkc987

Sep 19, 2017
1) No - your co-op work experience cannot be counted. Any work experience gained during your studies or as part of your studies in Canada cannot be counted as work experience towards any immigration program.
2) Yes - you can apply for two different immigration programs at the same time.
Hi scylla,

Thanks for your quick response.
regarding on the co-op experience, will that count on the registration point? Because I saw a section in the BC PNP guide mentioning that:
Experience obtained in paid co-op work terms may be included if it meets the following criteria:
o paid co-op work term must be full-time (minimum 30 hours per week)
and
o paid co-op experience must be at a NOC skill level equal to or greater than the NOC code of the B.C. job offer. At the time of application, you must be able to satisfactorily demonstrate how this work experience is directly related. Experience in a lower skill level NOC will not be considered as directly related.​

(My co-op experiences are in NOC A and paid)

Dec 12, 2019
Hi, it seems like you successfully got your PR through BC PNP Skilled Immigrants - Intl Graduate.

I'm in the same position as you now - graduated with Chem Eng and have worked for 3 months as an engineer.

It seems like I fulfil all the requirements listed on https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-to-B-C/BC-PNP-Skills-Immigration/International-Graduate, but I'm not sure if my employer meets domestic labour market recruitment. How do I know if they do? My employer is an engineering consulting firm.