+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confirmation of Permanent Residence

Vaughn

Star Member
Feb 15, 2010
Hello

Thanks to the helpful people on this forum my wife who is waiting on her PR to Canada has finally received a Confirmation of Permanent Residence letter! :D :D

However we are confused why we even received this letter. We assumed that when we sent her passport away it would be sent back with PR card and not just a letter stating she has been approved but no actual PR card. She is currently residing in Canada on a work permit and had a multiple entry visa which they have now annulled and issued her a new single entry Visa that is valid only for 5 weeks.

It states in the letter that if you are already living in Canada to call the 1-888 number to make appointment (good luck getting through). We will be trying that this week however can anyone advise on the process going forward? It it just a matter of one last appointment to actually sign something and pick up a card or will they make her jump through some more hurdles?

xxpazaway

Aug 15, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 5, 2011
AOR Received.
October 11, 2011
Med's Request
February 26, 2014
Med's Done....
September 29, 2011
LANDED..........
20-06-2014
Vaughn said:
Hello

Thanks to the helpful people on this forum my wife who is waiting on her PR to Canada has finally received a Confirmation of Permanent Residence letter! :D :D

However we are confused why we even received this letter. We assumed that when we sent her passport away it would be sent back with PR card and not just a letter stating she has been approved but no actual PR card. She is currently residing in Canada on a work permit and had a multiple entry visa which they have now annulled and issued her a new single entry Visa that is valid only for 5 weeks.

It states in the letter that if you are already living in Canada to call the 1-888 number to make appointment (good luck getting through). We will be trying that this week however can anyone advise on the process going forward? It it just a matter of one last appointment to actually sign something and pick up a card or will they make her jump through some more hurdles?
If i am not mistaken you have to book for appoinment coz almost all CIC local office is by appoinment only, at the time you book for appoinment they will tell you what to bring, like photos and identification.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello!

The CoPR just means that her PR has been approved. She now needs to 'land' as a PR and after she lands she will get the PR mailed to her (timing available at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp).

To land before her CoPR expires, you can indeed make an appointment (as they suggested - beware it can take time for an available appointment so make sure they are aware of the expiration date). Alternatively, if you are close to the border, you can exit and re-enter Canada (e.g., drive to the US and head back to Canada) or possibly land at an international airport near you (there's conflicting info on this so it may depend on the airport - call to check first).

When she lands, make sure she processes her B4/B4A for any items she may have temporarily imported with her work permit so she can keep them in Canada duty free. If she has any goods she may have left abroad, she should list them also as goods to follow to be able to import them in the future duty free (with photos of jewelry, serial and model number of electronics, and VINs for vehicles).

Vaughn said:
Hello

Vaughn

Star Member
Feb 15, 2010
Thank you for your replies! We are not close to a border so we will try for an appointment and see what happens. If that link applies to how many days for the card to arrive after this appoint then it is still a bit of a wait but at least it is the end of the wait.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Vaughn said:
Thank you for your replies! We are not close to a border so we will try for an appointment and see what happens. If that link applies to how many days for the card to arrive after this appoint then it is still a bit of a wait but at least it is the end of the wait.
indeed - it's the last "waiting bit" - but once landed, you don't need to wait for the card - your wife is officially a PR of Canada as soon as she has "landed" (stamped the COPR etc).
Congratulations on making it to the end - I wish that was me! :)
Best,
Sweden

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sweden said:
indeed - it's the last "waiting bit" - but once landed, you don't need to wait for the card - your wife is officially a PR of Canada as soon as she has "landed" (stamped the COPR etc).
Congratulations on making it to the end - I wish that was me! :)
Best,
Sweden
To build on Sweden's comments, you can use the stamped CoPR (after landing) as proof of residency to switch her SIN to a permanent resident SIN (won't start with 9 anymore), and anything else you need. The only caveat is if she travels abroad and is not visa exempt, she will need a Travel Document to be able to get on a plane back to Canada until she has her PR card (so the airline lets her on the plane since they can't verify CoPRs).

Congratulations o your wife on reaching his far!

june15

Star Member
Oct 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 15th - 2012
Doc's Request.
oct 15th - 2012 and Dec 3rd - 2012
AOR Received.
aug 15th - 2012
File Transfer...
aug 23rd - 2012
Med's Done....
may 25th - 2012
Passport Req..
sept 15th - 2012
VISA ISSUED...
In Process 6th Feb, DM on 25th feb
LANDED..........
inshallah very soon...ontario
Can someone plz tell me how a copr document looks like??

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
june15 said:
Can someone plz tell me how a copr document looks like??
it's a long piece of paper, with information about the applicant, and stating "Confirmation of PR" on top - and it also says "not valid for travel" on it, which means that you need your passport to travel, not only the COPR. You will get 2 copies, one with a picture, one without.

In your case, because you're not visa-exempt, the embassy will send back the passport with a visa allowing you to get on a plane ( the airline staff is not trained to recognize a COPR), together with the COPR.

Good luck,
Sweden

Reactions: dominicantiguan

sulli26

Jan 13, 2013
I rip about 2 inch of the right lower end of the letter although not completely.. will this cause me problems in the immigration. I accidentally out did while opening my envelop since I didn't expect there would be a letter inside.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sulli26 said:
I rip about 2 inch of the right lower end of the letter although not completely.. will this cause me problems in the immigration. I accidentally out did while opening my envelop since I didn't expect there would be a letter inside.
Are both copies torn? Since the stamped CoPR is the definitive proof you landed for ever, I would prefer it's not torn. I would reach out to your visa office, explain the situation, and ask them to replace the CoPR (you'll need to mail it back to them and they will send you the new one back).

rssb

Star Member
Jul 5, 2013
My PR application was approved and I have received Confirmation of Permanent Residence. I am working in USA, Do I need to land in Canada to apply for PR? Can I apply PR at Canadian Consulate in USA? If not, am I eligible to enter/exit multiple time based on Confirmation of Permanent Residence?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
rssb said:
My PR application was approved and I have received Confirmation of Permanent Residence. I am working in USA, Do I need to land in Canada to apply for PR? Can I apply PR at Canadian Consulate in USA? If not, am I eligible to enter/exit multiple time based on Confirmation of Permanent Residence?
you have already applied for pr. the COPR is the CONFIRMATION your application was approved. No, you can not "land" at a consulate in the US, you must report to a border(land or air) to officially become a PR by the expiration date listed on your COPR. If you do not "land" by the date written on your COPR, it will be cancelled and you will need to start the application process all over again.

sabret00the

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Calgary
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC: Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Not relevant
App. Filed.......
12-Sep-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
25-Nov-2014
AOR Received.
06-Jul-2015
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
31-Aug-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jan-2015 (TRV Meds have not yet expired)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-Sep-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-Sep-2015
LANDED..........
Dec 2015
Thanks for the above posts.

I was worried since my Wife is in Canada on a CWP/TRV. She has a SIN starting with 9....

She has sent her (Indian) Passport to CPC - Ottawa to get her PR Visa Stamped. The issue is she has a new Job Offer which she can join till 26th October. Assuming she gets the COPR along with the Stamped Passport before that she should still be fine to join her new Job with the COPR + existing SIN while she waits to get "Landed" Status.

Correct?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sabret00the said:
I was worried since my Wife is in Canada on a CWP/TRV. She has a SIN starting with 9....

She has sent her (Indian) Passport to CPC - Ottawa to get her PR Visa Stamped. The issue is she has a new Job Offer which she can join till 26th October. Assuming she gets the COPR along with the Stamped Passport before that she should still be fine to join her new Job with the COPR + existing SIN while she waits to get "Landed" Status.

Correct?
No, not correct. Just receiving the COPR/visa doesn't give her any rights in Canada. She is on a closed work permit and cannot work for any other employer. If she does start this new job before landing as a PR, she will be working illegally in Canada.

project_canada

Star Member
Jan 13, 2015
BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-20-2023
My husband and I accidentally signed our COPR before we read the letter instructing us not to sign the COPR until we are told to do so by the Immigration Officer. We got too excited.

Will this be a problem when we land?