+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

co-op work term on PGWP counted as work experience

bijpa01

May 13, 2016
Hi,

I was an international student and currently on an open post graduation work permit. I was graduated in 2015 and started working as co-op student. So, my question is, my co-op experience earned while on an open work permit could be counted as work experience while applying for PR?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bijpa01 said:
Hi,

I was an international student and currently on an open post graduation work permit. I was graduated in 2015 and started working as co-op student. So, my question is, my co-op experience earned while on an open work permit could be counted as work experience while applying for PR?

Thanks,
You are not supposed to work as a co-op student once you graduate. That means you lied to get the job and deprived another student of this opportunity. CIC will not like it.

bijpa01

May 13, 2016
Hi thejkhan,
My manager knows that i am graduated and even HR people.
So, please dont talk anything rubbish.
Advise if you know something.

Thanks,

softfuel12

Sep 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
Doc's Request.
15-08-2014
AOR Received.
08-12-2014
Med's Request
02-02-2016
Med's Done....
29-02-2016
Passport Req..
04-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2016
LANDED..........
21-03-2016
bijpa01 said:
Hi,

Thanks,
I don't think thejkhan's intention was wrong. I have the same doubt. Co-op is basically the co-operative education provided by college/university which allows you to apply concepts learned in class during paid work terms. It's the part of the program. Once you graduate you are no more a co-op student.

Your company and HR is just trying to save money that's why the category is still Co-op. If you get T4, NOA and paid for at least 30 hour per week then you should be good.

oba_14

Star Member
Feb 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-24-2017
AOR Received.
04-07-2017
bijpa01 said:
Hi,

Thanks,
If your employer is willing to say that its a full time role and not coop than you are ok. Also, when you apply for PR, you will have to get the letter from your employer in which position is mentioned. If that letter says anything about coop than I dont think CIC will count that experience.

softfuel12

Sep 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
Doc's Request.
15-08-2014
AOR Received.
08-12-2014
Med's Request
02-02-2016
Med's Done....
29-02-2016
Passport Req..
04-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2016
LANDED..........
21-03-2016
oba_14 said:
If your employer is willing to say that its a full time role and not coop than you are ok. Also, when you apply for PR, you will have to get the letter from your employer in which position is mentioned. If that letter says anything about coop than I dont think CIC will count that experience.
Basically what you are suggesting is forgery. Do not provide false information to CIC under any circumstances.

Applicants must have 12 months of full-time, Canadian skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time work experience) in one or more NOC 0, A or B occupations within the 36 months preceding the date on which their application is received.

CIC do not mention whether it should be an internship or contract or co-op. It should be 30 hours of paid work in NOC O,A & B every week.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
mesumrizvi said:
All paid co-op or internship experience acquired post graduation can be counted towards CEC. I, myself, had 12 months of paid internship for my PR application.
Still need to be in the right NOC category though.

bijpa01

May 13, 2016
Hi,
Actually, I was just asking an question.

Any coop work acquired after graduation can be counted as work experience if I apply under CEC?
If its still 1 year of full time work?

And thanks for sharing your knowledge guys.

If anybody else can share their experience?

Thanks,

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
bijpa01 said:
Hi,

Any coop work acquired after graduation can be counted as work experience if I apply under CEC?
We don't know. Your employer should not have hired you in a "co-op" position. (It is not the same as an internship, which is OK and quite normal after graduation).

Co-op positions are specifically for students registered in a co-op program, the employer gets tax credits for doing that, and the "hire" is not the same as a competitive hire.

So, we don't know. The violation is your employer's, not sure if it is a "serious" one, but it could blow back on you. Or it could be accepted. A lot depends on what is in the Letter of reference, your other supporting documents, etc., and the VO. So all I can say is - if you are willing to take the chance while knowing there's a possibility it will be rejected, by all means, give it a shot.

And if you do apply, please let us know how it goes...

marc_86

May 29, 2014
bijpa01 said:
Hi,

And thanks for sharing your knowledge guys.

If anybody else can share their experience?

Thanks,
You can't get a CO-OP job after graduation. CO-OP is always a part of an ongoing academic program. So No, it will not be counted as work experience. Even if you had performed CO-OP work during your program, it won't be considered as full time work for PR.

I suggest you double check your job offer letter, talk to the HR and find what exactly describes your position. I am sure it will be something other than CO-OP.

msp10

Mar 18, 2017
Hi
I am in similar position like you can you please provide me any update on your situation.

Thanks

zhang4

Feb 20, 2017
i am doing coop (i think its more an intern position) after i graduated last summer. I am also taking part time masters and i guess thats how i got the coop. I have heard ppl with post-grad coop/intern experience successfully got PR. For small company, you can talk to HR to get a re-worded letter stated your title and job description. For big company, it is usually not doable as they have strict HR rules. Hope this answer your question.