+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application for minors

migrant-seeker

Star Member
May 21, 2012
hello,

I appreciate the valuable information and support provided in this forum. Can I please seek your support in two points regarding citizenship application?
I am preparing my application package for myself and my son (8 years old) only because my wife does not want to apply for Canadian citizenship because she already has a European citizenship so she prefers to have only PR status in Canada.
My first question is regarding my son (minor, 8 years old): I will apply for myself and my son only so is it enough for me to sign his application form (minor) Besides signing my own application as well OR I will need his mother as well to sign his application form (in addition to my signature) although that she is not applying for citizenship?
My second question is that do we need to provide an explanation letter as to why my wife does not wish to apply for citizenship?
Thank you in advance

humsafar

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with initial application
IELTS Request
Sent with initial application
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS 19-10-2011
Med's Request
20-07-2012
Med's Done....
25-08-2012 received in London 31-08-2012
hello,

I appreciate the valuable information and support provided in this forum. Can I please seek your support in two points regarding citizenship application?
I am preparing my application package for myself and my son (8 years old) only because my wife does not want to apply for Canadian citizenship because she already has a European citizenship so she prefers to have only PR status in Canada.
My first question is regarding my son (minor, 8 years old): I will apply for myself and my son only so is it enough for me to sign his application form (minor) Besides signing my own application as well OR I will need his mother as well to sign his application form (in addition to my signature) although that she is not applying for citizenship?
My second question is that do we need to provide an explanation letter as to why my wife does not wish to apply for citizenship?
Thank you in advance

Yes only you can sign the Sons application and no you don't have to provide the explanation regarding you wife

Reactions: catharines

catharines

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
hello,

Thank you in advance
I applied with my son (8 years old also). I did everything myself. I am having my oath ceremony in October so no worries you can do everything yourself.

migrant-seeker

Star Member
May 21, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback. I heard some confusing information from others that we need a consent letter signed by my wife to submit our son's citizenship application and that without her consent I cannot submit for my son!

catharines

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Thank you so much for your feedback. I heard some confusing information from others that we need a consent letter signed by my wife to submit our son's citizenship application and that without her consent I cannot submit for my son!
I did mine and I did not ask or have consent from my husband.

migrant-seeker

Star Member
May 21, 2012
Thank you so much for the great help.

May I ask another question on behalf my colleague she is also gathering her documents to apply. Her daughter is 6 years old and has only started Grade 1 at a public school in Sep-2017 so she asked the public school to issue a letter for her daughter stating that she is enrolled and started to attend from Sep-2017 but of course she does not have a full year school record but only a couple of weeks from early Sep-2017 till now. Also her daughter was attending a preschool last year who gave her a letter signed by the principal confirming that her daughter attended KG there.
Will this be acceptable enough to IRCC? Her daughter has just reached school age now?
Appreciate your feedback and support.

catharines

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Thank you so much for the great help.

May I ask another question on behalf my colleague she is also gathering her documents to apply. Her daughter is 6 years old and has only started Grade 1 at a public school in Sep-2017 so she asked the public school to issue a letter for her daughter stating that she is enrolled and started to attend from Sep-2017 but of course she does not have a full year school record but only a couple of weeks from early Sep-2017 till now. Also her daughter was attending a preschool last year who gave her a letter signed by the principal confirming that her daughter attended KG there.
Will this be acceptable enough to IRCC? Her daughter has just reached school age now?
Appreciate your feedback and support.
Her daughter doesn't need to prove language or residence requirements. She can send the letter signed by the principal if she wants. My son is 8 years old I only sent his last transcript from grade 3 that's it.