+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born outside of Canada and DNA testing

Butterfly93

May 31, 2017
My 4 month old daughter and I got 6 months visitor Visa for Canada and my husband who is a citizen of Canada for over 30 years will apply for my daughter citizenship while we are there his name is on the birth certificate my questions

1. Will I *the mother* have to sign any paperwork saying yes I agree for her to be a citizen or the father can do everything on his own.

2 Will I need to do a DNA

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The child's Canadian citizen father can complete and sign* the application. Your DNA will not be required.

* http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/decision/parent.asp

"Minor applying for proof
Minors of any age may apply for proof of their citizenship.

As a cautionary measure, however, where a child is under 14 years of age, a parent should be encouraged to make or countersign the application or, alternatively, be advised that the child has made an application."

Reactions: Butterfly93

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I meant will my daughter need to do a DNA test
Not unless there's something about your case that is out of the ordinary. If you're married and the Canadian citizen you are married to is listed as the father on the birth certificate, it would be unusual for a DNA test to be required.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
A bit odd that you are always saying my daughter and not our daughter. I hope this is just your inexperience with the English language.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
A bit odd that you are always saying my daughter and not our daughter. I hope this is just your inexperience with the English language.
How does this post add to the conversation positively whether someone refers to their daughter as 'my' or 'our' a pretty common thing for a parent to do when referring to their daughter and nothing to do with English language ability. Whether 'my' or 'our' has nothing to do with the topic the question the OP asked was clear.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When asking a whole bunch of questions about whether there will be a need to prove paternity referring to a child as mine at not ours doesn't help. Hopefully the poster will now use ours in any correspondence while establishing citizenship for their child.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
When asking a whole bunch of questions about whether there will be a need to prove paternity referring to a child as mine at not ours doesn't help. Hopefully the poster will now use ours in any correspondence while establishing citizenship for their child.
Putting it that way I agree language is all important when dealing with immigration but not so important when posting on a forum unless it becomes a habit to be avoided as you are correctly suggesting

Butterfly93

May 31, 2017
Thanks for pointing that out I will change how I speak I never really look at it that way.