+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing families while in Canada

gabriel_evb

Dec 3, 2016
Hi folks!

I'm a caregiver in Vancouver and I'm looking for a new family (the one that I'm working for is not a great fit)

Also I can't find a better solution for my problem, from my understanding I need to find a family willing to sponsor and start the whole process from 0, so that includes around 5-6 months to get everything done and almost any family is willing to sponsor or either wait for that long!

It should be easy to change employers, I used to work as a caregiver also in US and the whole process take less than 2 weeks between finding a new family and getting the new papers.

Why here it takes all that time? I understand if I'm outside of Canada they need to make sure I have everything good to go, but since I've done all this process and they have my files, what's the need to do everything again including my work permit?

Anyone had this issue before? what I've seen people doing is working under the table until their work permit with the new family gets approved, I'm not comfortable working under the table, do I have any other options?

I don't know what else to do!

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The work permit you hold now is a closed work permit tied to your specific employer. So you are correct in understanding that if you find a new employer, that employer must first obtain an approved LMIA and then you must obtain a new work permit before you can start working for that new employer.

I can't comment on the differences between the US and Canadian systems. However this is how the rules in Canada work. Unfortunately there's really no other option if you want to continue working in Canada - but for a different employer.

gabriel_evb

Dec 3, 2016
That's so sad and unfair... makes no sense at all for me doing a new work permit, so many people working under terrible circumstances and they don't have anyone to protect them... if they complain they don't have anywhere to go