+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Case of Pregnancy while waiting for PR card via spouse sponsorship (Quebec)

richardysm

Jan 7, 2016
Hi.

I'm a naturalized Canadian citizen and I moved to Montreal with my wife after getting married in Korea.

We have submitted the documents to sponsor my wife back in November 2015, as well as for the open work permit (submitted to the same office).

Just yesterday, my wife and I discovered that she is now 5 weeks pregnant and as she is currently considered as a visitor in this country, I was unable to get her a health card.

I called the CIC and they informed me that the open work permit takes 4 months to process meaning my wife would get it around March 2016.

I also called the RAMQ and they informed me that the open work permit alone isn't able to get her a health card in Quebec.

I understand that the private insurance won't cover pregnancy.

I'd like to get some advice from those who have gone through similar situation as I have.

This is our first baby and I feel devastated as I'm unable to do anything at this moment.

Thank you for your attention.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Look into having the birth at home with the assistance of a midwife. This will very significantly reduce the costs of giving birth in Canada.

Good luck.

richardysm

Jan 7, 2016
scylla said:
Look into having the birth at home with the assistance of a midwife. This will very significantly reduce the costs of giving birth in Canada.

Good luck.
Thank you for your advice. We are looking into every option that is available to us.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Yes a midwife and home delivery will definitely be the cheapest option. With a midwife you should never need to see (or pay for) a doctor/OB. In Quebec midwives are not free (they are in Ontario even if you don't have healthcare), but they are cheaper than doctors/hospitals.

However you should be aware that if your wife has any complications during the pregnancy or delivery and you are forced to see a doctor, you may no longer be able to stay under the midwife's care. So you should budget a sizable amount (from $5 - $10K) as a precaution. If there are any serious complications requiring an extended hospital stay that amount could increase a lot (though hopefully this never happens).

Another option is for your wife to return to Korea to have the baby. If she decided to do this, then you should cancel your current inland application and re-submitting an OUTLAND application. In Korea the costs would be much cheaper, and she would have family support. Plus outland apps (for Korean citizens processed in Manila office) can be fully completed in around 1 year while your inland app will take 2+ years to complete.