App. Filed.......
24/08/2015
AOR Received.
18/11/2015, 21/04/2016
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
01-31-2017
Hi guys- I just received my PR in the end of January. I've been working in Canada since 2016 with a temp. SIN, and just received the new one. When I try to register for an online CRA account, it first tells me I need to " Validate your identity—social insurance number" When I enter my SIN (have tried the new one and the temp. one), it gives me this error:
Error—ERR.038
We need to verify your personal information.
Contact us for help.

I called CRA a month ago and they said to wait one month for them to "link" the temporary SIN to the new one. Now I can't even get through as the 1-800 number says all the queues are full and hangs up. Anyone else have this issue?

suyashpy

Sep 21, 2018
Hi guys- I just received my PR in the end of January. I've been working in Canada since 2016 with a temp. SIN, and just received the new one. When I try to register for an online CRA account, it first tells me I need to " Validate your identity—social insurance number" When I enter my SIN (have tried the new one and the temp. one), it gives me this error:
Error—ERR.038
Contact us for help.

I called CRA a month ago and they said to wait one month for them to "link" the temporary SIN to the new one. Now I can't even get through as the 1-800 number says all the queues are full and hangs up. Anyone else have this issue?
I am stuck with a similar issue, including the part where I am unable to get in touch with the CRA.

Did it resolve for you? what did you do?

I submitted mine using simpletax.ca. sometime in march 2018. I filed it for the first time as a PR (for year 2017, in my case only for Q4 of the year as I arrived in Sept 2017). Its been over six months and I haven't heard anything from CRA.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
You will be able to activate your CRA account after you get your first notice of assessment from the CRA.

Reactions: manboarpig

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
You first tax return cannot be filed online. You need to mail it into the tax processing center.
Actually while this was true before this is not anymore the case. I landed in 2017 and filled my first tax return online using SimpleTax. I was also a CRA tax volunteer earlier this year (for the 2017 tax year) and among clients I helped there were many that were first time fillers and they had no issue filling online. In fact the software had a specific question asking whether this was the first time you were filling taxes with the CRA.

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
My wife also filed her first tax return earlier this year. When she called CRA, the agent at the international tax section told her that for her first tax return she need to mailed it in.

prescot

Jul 20, 2015
Actually while this was true before this is not anymore the case. I landed in 2017 and filled my first tax return online using SimpleTax. I was also a CRA tax volunteer earlier this year (for the 2017 tax year) and among clients I helped there were many that were first time fillers and they had no issue filling online. In fact the software had a specific question asking whether this was the first time you were filling taxes with the CRA.
I am yet to get any assessment update after 7 months now. I have a valid netfile number as first time filer which cannot be possible if cra doesn’t have my sin, birth date details. Called cra helpline multiple times and they suggested to write to cra. I wrote a letter to Sudbury office requesting for an update and sent copy of my tax statement. No response so far. I haven’t received any tax refund yet. Stuck and don’t know what more to do. Any suggestions?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am yet to get any assessment update after 7 months now. I have a valid netfile number as first time filer which cannot be possible if cra doesn’t have my sin, birth date details. Called cra helpline multiple times and they suggested to write to cra. I wrote a letter to Sudbury office requesting for an update and sent copy of my tax statement. No response so far. I haven’t received any tax refund yet. Stuck and don’t know what more to do. Any suggestions?
You can contact your MP to inquire on your behalf.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Online access to the CRA portals, My Business Account RAC, and My Account require a individual too have filed TWO tax returns before they can access these portals

I haven’t filed a tax return in the last two years, can I still register?
No. To register you will need to provide information from your personal income tax return from one of the two most recent tax years. Your tax return for either of these two years must have been filed and assessed for you to register. For more information, call our Individual tax enquiries.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/cra-login-services/cra-user-password-help-faqs/problems-entering-your-personal-authentication-information-account-individuals-business-account.html#hlp4

If you have not filed the two returns, you will be unable to access these portals. These are just the regulations set out for online access, one is unable to circumvent these to gain access

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Online access to the CRA portals, My Business Account RAC, and My Account require a individual too have filed TWO tax returns before they can access these portals

I haven’t filed a tax return in the last two years, can I still register?
No. To register you will need to provide information from your personal income tax return from one of the two most recent tax years. Your tax return for either of these two years must have been filed and assessed for you to register. For more information, call our Individual tax enquiries.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/cra-login-services/cra-user-password-help-faqs/problems-entering-your-personal-authentication-information-account-individuals-business-account.html#hlp4

If you have not filed the two returns, you will be unable to access these portals. These are just the regulations set out for online access, one is unable to circumvent these to gain access
I just landed last year and with my 2017 tax return I was able to activate my CRA account, both individual and for my business account (I have an Ontario corporation). So just one one tax return should be sufficient to enable access.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I just landed last year and with my 2017 tax return I was able to activate my CRA account, both individual and for my business account (I have an Ontario corporation). So just one one tax return should be sufficient to enable access.

Ok, I was just posting what the official guideline are from the Federal Government, and no, one tax return is not sufficient per the government. However, let them call 1800 959 5525 if they want it officially from a government source

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Ok, I was just posting what the official guideline are from the Federal Government, and no, one tax return is not sufficient per the government. However, let them call 1800 959 5525 if they want it officially from a government source
I have never seen any official guideline that mention the requirement to have two tax returns before you can activate your CRA account. I have received training from the CRA earlier this year prior to volunteering at CRA tax clinics in Toronto and Brampton and this was never mentioned. Again myself I was able to open a CRA account and I just landed last year. My spouse also opened her account as she needed to update her bank details for receiving the CCB by direct deposit instead of cheques.

The only mention I have seen about two years was that when activating the CRA account, you will need to enter certain line number from one of your past two tax returns. So if you do not find your tax assessment from last year you may use instead the information from your tax return of two years ago. But this is different from being required to file for two years before activating your CRA account as you can certainly use the information from last year.

hussain-lala

Nov 7, 2013
I have never seen any official guideline that mention the requirement to have two tax returns before you can activate your CRA account. I have received training from the CRA earlier this year prior to volunteering at CRA tax clinics in Toronto and Brampton and this was never mentioned. Again myself I was able to open a CRA account and I just landed last year. My spouse also opened her account as she needed to update her bank details for receiving the CCB by direct deposit instead of cheques.

The only mention I have seen about two years was that when activating the CRA account, you will need to enter certain line number from one of your past two tax returns. So if you do not find your tax assessment from last year you may use instead the information from your tax return of two years ago. But this is different from being required to file for two years before activating your CRA account as you can certainly use the information from last year.
Thanks for input dear.
I have also registered as volunteer at tax clinic but to register as volunteer with CRA I need to register for “Myaccount” and there I am getting the same error .038. I am on study permit and my first tax returns are due which I will be filling soon. But till I file my returns I can not get registered which means I can not volunteer this year

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Thanks for input dear.
I have also registered as volunteer at tax clinic but to register as volunteer with CRA I need to register for “Myaccount” and there I am getting the same error .038. I am on study permit and my first tax returns are due which I will be filling soon. But till I file my returns I can not get registered which means I can not volunteer this year
1) I didn't need to register for MyAccount at the CRA website when I first volunteered for the tax clinic. So not sure this is a new requirement.I didn't have any tax filed or myaccount before volunteering last year.
2) My understanding was that residents (citizens/PRs) can volunteer at the tax clinic. But I guess this is not anymore the case if you have been able to register and get verified with your student permit.
3) You need to keep in mind that CVITP volunteers are not allowed to EFILE their own personal tax returns.

yhome

Star Member
Mar 23, 2016
Error—ERR.038
Contact us for help.

Hi, I have the same issue like yours. Did you able to register online with the new SIN?