+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship Through Marriage

ClaytonB543

Jan 21, 2013
Hello there! I am a native-born US citizen and I recently got married to a good ol' Canadian gal :)

We're living in the US and she is in the process of becoming a citizen of the US. My school and eventually my job (Doctor) would not exactly allow me to live in Canada for a certain amount of days (I think it's like 1000 days). I read some where that I can own land in Canada and this would constitute for the living requirement. Anyone have information on this? We do visit her family a lot, and it does get annoying being restricted by the legal restraints of a Passport (ie: only so much time allowed abroad). Anyone heard of this? Or have any information of whether or not it is possible to become a citizen without truly living there for a rather long period of time?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can't get Canadian citizenship directly through marriage. If you marry a Canadian citizen, that citizen can sponsor you for permanent residency. Once you become a PR and have to physically lived in Canada for three out of four years, you will qualify to apply for citizenship. You need three actual years of physical residency to qualify. Owning land doesn't count.

The only way to become a citizen without spending a lot of time in Canada is to be born here. Otherwise Canada expect you to make a strong commitment to the country in exchange for citizenship (it's a privilege, not a right).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is actually an exception if the Canadian spouse works outside Canada for the Canadian government, a provincial government or the military. If that was the case, days spent with your spouse would be counted towards citizenship, otherwise no.

First she'd have to sponsor you for PR though. That doesn't happen automatically. A PR is kind of like the US green card. Days spent with your Canadian spouse abroad count towards the residency requirements for PR no matter who your spouse works for so if you get your PR, you would not lose it for staying outside Canada too long as long as you stay with your wife.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Start by reading the first post here:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Do I become a Canadian citizen when I marry a Canadian? please let me know.
No, you don’t. Marriage to a Canadian citizen offers you no direct citizenship route. The process is the same as everyone else that wants to become a citizen, with exceptions for health issues. You have to be sponsored to become a permanent resident, meet those obligations and then apply for citizenship.