+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

canadian child, visitor status parents

szulkarn

Aug 12, 2017
hi there.
my son is a canadian citizen (born in bc).
soon he will be turning 5 and we would like him to attend public school in vancouver.

will he need a study permit? will there be school fees? is he considered an international student because his father an mother is only a temporary resident (visitor visa) in canada.

thank you all.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As a citizen he is not an international but who will look after him in Canada given you would have no status yourself to stay in Canada ? You would need a formal custodian in place plus seems harsh to have a 5 year old away from parents just to attend school. Maybe if a bit older would be different but your choice I guess.

szulkarn

Aug 12, 2017
As a citizen he is not an international but who will look after him in Canada given you would have no status yourself to stay in Canada ? You would need a formal custodian in place plus seems harsh to have a 5 year old away from parents just to attend school. Maybe if a bit older would be different but your choice I guess.
thank you ,for the reply, I am aware that because of both me and my wife's status as temporary visit, we are only allowed to stay for 6 months.
* heres another question: will immigration gives me problem if I state my purpose of visit is to accompany my child to school - with the intention to fly out before the 6 months up and fly back?"

This is my scenario now,
My parents are citizen and permanent residents of Canada, they live here. But me and wife are under visitor visa status.
we love Canada therefore we wanted to have our son born here. when our son turns 5, we would want him to start attending school here. our son will be staying with his grandparents who are citizen and residents of Canada. while me and my wife will juggle the 6 months limitation of our stay under visitor visa status.
does it makes sense?

now when I read the registrations criterias documents needed. i'm not sure if my son is eligible to enroll into the school as Canadian ( free public school).

"When registering your child the following documents are required:

• Proof of citizenship for parent & child (one of): birth certificate; passport; PR Card; Canadian Citizenship Card.
  • Proof of B.C. residency for parent (one of): rental contract; property purchase contract; income tax statement; property tax statement; and 2 of the following documents: utility bill; B.C. driver’s licence; B.C. vehicle registration; Canadian bank or credit card statement; B.C. ID.
  • Proof of Guardianship: please refer to Funding Eligibility Checklist.
would making His Grandparents a guardian or legal full custodian would be a solution?

thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - making the grandparents legal guardians is the best solution.

Note that a visitor visa allows you to visit for up to six months - however how long you're given when you arrive is entirely up to the CBSA officer. Also, as a visitor, you should really be spending more time outside of Canada than inside of Canada in any given year. If you spend six months as a visitor in Canada, then leave, and then attempt to return again soon afterwards for another six month visit - you should expect problems at the border and the possibility you'll be refused entry and sent home.